The Xbox One Summer Update releasing to Preview Participants was recently announced on http://news.xbox.com. With this announcement, 15 of your ideas are now marked as “In Progress”, with a combined total of 31,256 votes backing the new features under development! With the Xbox One Summer Preview update, select Preview users will soon be able to try out these awesome features! Each week, additional preview members will receive the update until eventually all preview users will have access to the new features. We encourage everyone to try out these features as they become available, so we can continue to make Xbox the best experience for you.
Please continue to vote for your favorite features as well as voting for other suggestions on the site. The features below are now marked “In Progress.” Team Xbox is always looking to implement new features / ideas that you are passionate about seeing implemented.
Cortana is coming to Xbox One in a big way! Preview users will be able to activate Cortana by going to Settings > System > Cortana. Once turned on, simply say “Hey Cortana” and speak your request naturally. Cortana will interpret your request and carry out your commands!
Along with natural language support, Cortana will be able to tell you a joke, recommend movies, update you with web search results, flight status, sports scores, and more! Here are a few of the features you requested for Cortana and Xbox.
- Use Cortana and Voice commands via your headset
- Once Cortana is activated, you can use voice commands via your headset! No more need for a Kinect sensor, just say “Hey Cortana” into your headset.
- Say shorter names of games
- Users with a Kinect sensor or headset can say “Hey Cortana, let’s play Halo” and Cortana will understand without having to hear the exact title of the game.
- "What Time is it?"
- Users with a Kinect sensor or headset can say “Hey Cortana, what time is it?” and Cortana will tell you.
- Users with a Kinect sensor or headset can say “Hey Cortana, what’s the weather like in Redmond?” or “Hey Cortana, will I need a jacket today?” and get a weather report.
- Natural Language
- Users with a Kinect sensor or headset can now say “Hey Cortana” and phrase their question or request using natural language instead of specific phrases! Try “Hey Cortana, tell me a joke.”
- Users with a Kinect sensor or headset can say “Hey Cortana, find funny movies with Matt Damon,” and Cortana will understand and provide movies that meet your criteria.
- Sports Updates and Scores
- Users with a Kinect sensor or headset can say “Hey Cortana, did the Seattle Mariners win yesterday?” and Cortana will provide you with the results.
The New Game Collections has been updated based on your feedback to be more organized, easier to navigate, and use more of the space on your screen to get you into your games and apps faster than ever!
You can now find My Games & Apps on the home screen, in the upper right corner right next to your current running game or app! You can also get there by saying “Hey Cortana, go to my games & apps.” Here are some of the great features you requested.
- Download speed and other details
- The Xbox One Queue now gives you detailed information about your download. This information appears in the queue, but also on the My Games & Apps navigation bar. You can even view your download progress directly on your dashboard!
- 4 rows instead of 2
- The new Game Collection now uses all of the available screen real estate to show you your games, offering multiple rows of games instead of just 2.
- List all owned Xbox games
- The New Game Collection now includes sections for installed games, apps, and games you own and are ready to install.
- Sort options
- You can now sort your collection by Title name (A-Z), last used, most recently updated, and size. If you have a large game collection, you can also call up an alphabetized list by clicking any letter and then jump to a specific letter to quickly get to a game.
- Tile size
- In addition to showing more games per row, you can now change the size of the tiles, so you can see more games on-screen at once.
The Activity Feed is where you see what your friends are up to when gaming on Xbox, and we’ve enabled some new functionality to help you personalize how you use the Activity Feed.
- More control over what you share in the Activity Feed
- Are you planning on going on an achievement binge, and don’t want your friends to feel bad? You can now choose what gets shared automatically in the Activity feed! Go to Settings > Preferences > Activity Feed to choose what you want to automatically share.
The Xbox Store has been redesigned to let you find the games you want faster, and with more information to help you choose your next challenge.
- Prices on page
- With the newly redesigned Xbox store experience, prices are now visible while browsing! You can also see ratings, and if a game is on sale, it will show you both the retail and sale price.