Find ideas for managing friends, messaging, and the Activity Feed

Make Appear Offline work the way it did on Xbox 360

On the Xbox 360, it's impossible to tell when a person is appearing offline because it actually showed how long the person been "offline."
However, on the Xbox One, its obvious you're appearing offline because it says 'Offline' besides your gamertag and that sucks if you're trying to hide from someone lol. Give us back that little 360 feature

[Mod edit: Title changed from "Why is it obvious that I'm appearing offline?" in order to clarify that the idea is to make the Appear Offline feature work more like a similar feature seen on the Xbox 360.]

779 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Austerity shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • CleanlyRabbit55 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE READ!!!! Hello Guys,This is a Life Time transformation !!!Am so happy I got mine from Elizabeth. My blank ATM card can withdraw $3,300 daily. I got it from him last week and now I have $16,500 for free for just a week. The blank ATM CARD withdraws money from any ATM machines and there is no name on it, it is not traceable and now i have money for business and enough money for me and my family to live on. I am really happy i met Kelvin Roland because i met two people before him and they took my money not knowing that they were scams. But am happy now. Kelvin Roland sent the card through DHL and i got it
    in two days. Get your own card from him now he is not like other scammer pretending to have the ATM card, he is giving it out for free to help people even if it is illegal but it helps a lot and no one ever gets caught. i'm grateful to Kelvin Roland because he changed my story all of a sudden. The card works in all countries except Philippines and Mali. Kelvin Roland email address is kelvinroland.blankatm@outlook.com!

• Hham2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this. The appear offline feature is useless, everyone knows you are online. But please make it so it doesn't change which game you were last online on when you switch

• Henderbox360 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just posted an idea which ties in to this which is people can keep a check via the app etc how many hours you have played certain games. This needs to be able to be blocked if you want as even if you are appearing offline they can check to see if you have been playing games. Not enough privacy options on xbox at the moment.

• Henderbox360 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the current appear offline totally defeats the object of the privacy you want. We don't need to know when someone was last seen(unless they are a missing person!). Everyone who is genuinely offline or 'appearing offline' should have offline under their name. Simple.

• VISUAL Mazzy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone uses this feature to hide, I can not think of any other reason to use this feature, so make it work properly!

• D4RK x RAPIDZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

except when it says last seen on skyrim or something when you go on a different game like battlefield don't make it change from last seen to skyrim to last seen on battlefield

• Agt Foxtrot 12 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 360's offline wasn't that great either. If you went "offline" playing Battlefield and then switched over to Halo it would say last seen X minutes ago playing Halo not Battlefield. It would change with each game.

• bdv 99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree we need to move back closer to the way the X360 handled this, but to evolve it a little would be great to have the system let you know your offline/online status upon logging in. Eg when logging in, have a prompt that says "you are appearing offline, do you want to go online?" As it's easy to forget what status you left yourself at last time. Some alone time online is always great :)

• SPRAYxNxPRAY96 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Appear offline should be changed to "Last Seen".Sometimes I just want to play a game without getting bombarded by invites and everyone can tell when you use the current appear offline function because it says offline instead of last seen. It kind of destroys the point with the current setup.

• damian the dead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(Appearing Offline) This needs to be fixed as on the Xbox One when you "Appear Offline" it actually sets your status as"Appearing Offline" which totally defeats it's purpose it should say when you were last online or something much like the Xbox 360!!!! And we should be able to at least select the "Appear Offline" before signing in so that way it also won't defeat its own purpose haha (by the way not being antisocial, just every now and then some people like to play a game without being disturbed or making others feel like your ignoring them!!!)

• damian the dead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree when you go to appear "offline" it says "appearing offline" instead of saying "last seen home" or something!!! So everyone knows you are "appearing offline" because it actually says it haha I don't know why they didn't think this one through haha

• SHADOWICKED commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this very annoying. My friends have figured this out so when they see me "offline" they know I'm online. I'm hoping they bring back this 'feature'. Although I do believe it to be the purpose of the offline mechanism.

• PeskyPolarBearr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whenever you're appearing offline there are notable changes that tell your friends & followers that you are appearing offline, most notably when you normally go offline is will say something like "Last seen 48m ago: Home" but if you're just appearing offline it'll simply say "offline" I purpose that when you're appearing offline it goes through the "Last seen..." messages to make people think that you are offline, and that include disabling the 'join' buttons of peoples profiles whilst they're appearing offline.

I have recently lost 'friends' because I was appearing offline so this is something I'd be hugely happy if something was done about it.

Thanks,
    Pesky!

• LastSonofAries commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As someone who feels the same way about the appera offline feature I just wanted to drop in and give a little tip. If you want to appear offline without first having to log in. Use the Xbox app and set yourself to appear offline that way. I can only confirm this feature in the Windows Xbox (beta) app but I have tested this and have not appeared online (using my other gamertag) via the app and was able to set myself to appear offline which applied to the xbox when I did log in. Hope that helps.

• ManBearPigIets commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's an issue, and so is having to sign in, online, to then appear offline, announcing your presence and defeating the purpose. And then if you forget to turn it back on before turning the system on, it persists and you end up appearing offline for days on end without realizing it. The "appear offline before signing in" and "state resets on system reboot" functions of the 360 should be used instead.

• Zordid2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know that feeling when you want to hide from somebody.... besides, that little difference makes a appear offline setting almost pointless

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base