Find ideas for managing friends, parties, messaging, and other social experiences

Separate players and multiplayer into "Adult" and "Children" based on an age verification system

I am tired of hearing annoying children, and little kids that almost constantly make my multiplayer experience far less enjoyable on Xbox Live. These children/and little kids, mostly children age 10-15 years old: scream loudly into their microphone, yell when killed in-game, make very annoying sounds, and from time to time may even quit right in the middle of an ongoing game.

I do not understand the lack of maturity in some of these children, and always find myself asking myself why these little kids lack both maturity, and respect for other players.

My idea is simple Microsoft needs to find a close to full proof way to authenticate age when signing-up for Xbox Live, this means the age verification must be more than just credit card information, and entering in your birth-date. Age verification must also require your social security number, and many questions questions that a child (under 18) could not easily answer, also they should even throw in any other possible way of verifying age (maybe even a voice test). I do understand that ensuring the age that someone has entered is difficult, but I think Microsoft could create a system that would prevent children from lying about their own age.

With this new system, those under 18, would be placed within the group "children", while those 18+ would then be placed within the "adults" group. Children would also only be able to play Xbox Live with other children, while also being completely separated from the adults! Thus meaning we would essentially have two Xbox Live(s)--Xbox Live for children, and Xbox Live for adults.

I know that this idea may seem crazy, but I want to hear your opinion on this idea.

Please tell me if you agree with this, or not, and please explain
your reasoning.

Feedback if appreciated! :D

501 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

D779E45LJ536NV shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ivan70crazy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

unfortunately this is the only way since children need protection from adults and from themselves

• Odball69 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use the club system. Set up your own and you control who gets in. Use mute. Stop trying to be a parent to strangers (they aren't all kids).

• LurkingZombieX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea will never happen, and lets face it ive met more people over the age of 18 that are immature, team killers, people who quit games early, throw games, etc. All we need is a fix for the enforcement system. Because harassment, glitching, hacks. its obnoxious and having to deal with it is tiring.

• amaz gamer02 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it is a good idea but there should be a third in the middle for people 13-18 called teens

• The Dark Scribe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think an Age verification in any MP is important as I'm seeing people in MP games that are well below age for the game.

• IronPanda113 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be easier to implement a parental control system to monitor the games of children, along with a report choice for children not respecting the ESRB rating system.

• HULL69er commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no way to stop a kid playing on their parents or elder siblings account. I does seem some kids don't know how to disconnect the microphone on the headset when playing.

• TReid1996 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would actually trust Microsoft with my SS#. But it wouldn't happen. It's very hard to keep track of the thousands of players, let alone do a really advanced age test. There are always ways around a problem. Say a father sets up his account, and it thusly placed under "adults" then let's his children play on his account. You will then have children back in the adult section. Good thought though.

• CosmicYeti2255 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can be fixed but reason is they make it that ittle kids can't play w their friends on couch anymore only alone w cussing adults online... We r so disappointed after owning Xbox for almost 15 yrs now want to return this junk .... My kids can't play together or husband w son

• FLIBBERTIGIBITS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This doesn't really affect you unless you let it. It is very easy to mute players that are in your game. I understand that they can be very annoying but once you press the mute button it is gone. So really I don't entirely think this would help. Plus I don't think many children have their correct age set on their account so this wouldn't work for them either. Overall I don't thinkthis idea can be implimented well on the current console and we will probably have to wait for the next xbox console before it can be implimented correctly.

• Valcour86 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In theory it would be nice, however it's easier to just mute them and play on. We can't be every kids parents letting them act the ways they do.

• M3tal Daz3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xbox gaming community is an open environment regulated by the code of conduct. All should have the same courtesy and the same respect for the rules regardless of age.

• Z4M0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So it's to be negative for the sake of it.

I'm talking about INTERNAL DATA to serve as MATCHMAKING criteria wich will translate into more satisfactory games, not dumb badges and gamer stratification thru prestige and such.

Cause everyone wants to get fun right ? And who want to be a party pooper ? I don't want to neither I want others to ruin my experience just case who they are.

Sometimes I want my game clean and strategic, sometimes I can also get fun out of salty situations and trash talking (without any means of trying to offense of course).

Extreme/weird example: One time of every 5 words you speak is ***, or butt... Something in that vein. Cause you know, slang and such. So would you like being treated like a pedo cause you talk like that surrounded by young kids? Does it have any sense? It doesn't cause in real life you choose where to be and who to be with, at least in most situations.

I can't see why it has to be different online. I can't see why someone have to be thrased (seen it) cause he is a kid, o too competitive, or foul mouthed.

There's people that should be kept away from the internet, but that's not the point here.

The point is that in most of the cases someone disturbs others online is cause he/she doesn't fit that group's mentality. And that's not offender's fault but system's wich lacks of useful criteria.

After all, Microsoft is now developing social clubs, go guess why...

• Z4M0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xbox live userbase SHOULD be sorted out by AGE, INTEREST, etc. most like it was in xbox 360 (family, pro, casual, underground) so you won't get into weird online games.

There's a real life example:

I want to have fun, so I go to the disco for a dance and a drink. I'm 35 so I choose a place for grown ups, serving alcoholic beverages, were I most likely will find men and women arround my age but never ever a 12 year old brat (not trying to ofense anyone here) trying to look cool. I pay and I get in.

Ok. Why can't I choosewho to play with ONLINE ? I meant, can't I be among people from the same age or t least same interests ? Back at the example, I most likely find black metal fans at the disco or viceversa (concert). There's a place to go when you want certain experience.

But xbox live isn't sorted out yet.

I spend the day working to earn money. Part of what's left from monthly fees goes into gaming; I pay hardware, sorfware and online services to HAVE FUN & RELAX but I get none of them back for my money.

And still have to recive now and then messages like "it's a game" or "get a life". But gaming is supposed to be a part of my life. The FUN one. Like going to the pub. But I choose to go to places with nice people, not scrubs, yet I can't do at xbox live.

What Should I do ? Forget about ONLINE gaming and go only offline ? Forget about videogames at all ? I put money into this to get a minimum fun out of it but have to deal with truly horrible people everyday. People who harasses, insults, trolls you out, teamkills, drives the opposite way to crash into people racing... spam sound or built in voice (wich is unmuteable) to freak people ou, people actively working hard to ruin other's paid experience. It's SAD to find people having fun out of taking it off from others.

Have to say I've been gaming since mid 80s so I'm not that bad at it.

Xbox 360 wasn't that bad in this regards since it had gaming zones and people were paired in matchmaking wisely.

Userbase should be sorted out ASAP, just prompting a couple of questions and adding the result (age range, zone, like family, casual, pro, underground...) to the profile, so a casual won't get in the same game, or at least not so often, with a jerk willing to pick on him about how n00b he is. There is really people spammingright after someone fails for the 1st time, not in consistent basis. In the same way, people who like trash talk people will be playing along their kind so most likely won't give it importance to stupid personal messagges, wild teabagging, salty killstealing and such.

Xbox live should be a CLEANER (IMHO) place to game A kid won't hang with prostitutes, buy a pack of smokes and diss an adult. Cause a face slap or the smoke retailer will prevent this from happening. I can't see why can't we have somethingto prevent online personal conflict between users.

In my humble opinion it has to be an user base sort out by type of interest in gaming (competitive, casual, rogueish...) and age so most of the time will be in a game he or she is capable of having fun out of it. By being confortable. This haves nothing to do with winning games.

• drn1mr0d commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've come across adults who were way more immature than a lot of 13 year olds i have knowingly played with or against. not a very good idea, just let players play and avoid the immature ones.

← Previous 1

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base