Find ideas for managing friends, parties, messaging, and other social experiences

Enable Chat between Xbox 360 and Xbox One players

Actually it's possible to chat with other people on Xbox 360 when I'm playing on Xbox One. It will be great to do that.

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with similar ideas posted by ElseSiren72, SavedDemo and KillerKnight81. Thanks everyone!]

9,447 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SnakeXSnakeX shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Team Xbox Comment  ·  Team XboxAdminTeam Xbox (Admin, Xbox) responded  · 

The chat systems across Xbox 360 and Xbox One are very different and enabling universal chat between those systems would take a lot of effort. We’ve enabled Xbox One users to play Xbox 360 games through backward compatibility and while they do that they can party chat with 360 customers while on Xbox One. We’ve decided to focus our efforts on improving the overall Xbox One chat experience, and adding new features such as 16 person party chat and party chat relay servers for users with NAT issues. – Mike Ybarra (gamertag: Qwik)

442 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • jtpduffejtpduffe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

" a lot of effort". What a joke! Two systems' chat? Like this is the richest company on Earth? Beepin' *** sucking bogus. It's Sony next time. Beepin' garbage.

• jtpduffejtpduffe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such total ***. You people at Microsoft's X Box need to get your heads out of your *** and stop sucking boss *** to get something as simple as 2 system chat working. Give me a beepin' break. These are the Microsoft people who can't wroite an app for their own beepin' OS without 15 patch updates.

• AtomicVariableAtomicVariable commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe you push the menu and options buttons (formerly start/select) simultaneously and it brings up the 360 menu while in back compat mode. You can send party invites to 360 users through the old menu.

• SirCaptainCocoaSirCaptainCocoa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates yet as to if xbox one users can party chat with xbox 360 users while in backwards compatible gameplay? If so how can this be done?

• ThatClownKidThatClownKid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On Xbox one can you game chat with 360 players? On games such as call of duty. And I'm confused can you party chat cross platform or not?

• Wiggles43Wiggles43 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So for those on Xbox 1, while you are playing a 360 game with others on 360 simply press at the same time the "select" & "start" buttons, this will bring up 360 menu and in that you can access the chat functions. If you are playing with other Xbox one friends guide them through this as well and you will all share the same chat line. Granted those who have an Xbox 1 chat line may sound to others a little off as the others can't hear the 360 side of the conversation so it is advised that you only have the chat active in the 360 side of the menu and not on the Xbox 1 side.

• Mighty NinynMighty Ninyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It may be difficult, but like I've seen in the comments, you'd help a lot of people. See what you can do. Ours effort, but think of what you could accomplish all around if you actually put the effort into this. I can't afford an Xbox one. I have a 360 and I like my 360.

I'm missing chats with friends while playing games etc.

• hodgiedukehodgieduke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Musikfreak007 is 100% right this already works and has from day 1 of backwards compability

• ME54ME54 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No point spending money on something that will encourage people not to upgrade to Xbox One.

• gromal14gromal14 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

C mom gus surely for chaps of your caliber is a pice of cake to sort chat issues, It would be much handy to play games like WoT I'm thankful that the platoon are corss platform but with out chat it losses it full potential. Please sort it out I'm sure it won't lose you any money if anything it would be opposite thx.

• BehindTheMask93BehindTheMask93 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if it's long process it's not fair on friends with different platforms when they don't have this platform as they don't want move to Xbox one yet u should consider it that would be good and also to allow online play as well with Xbox 360 and Xbox one online gaming that would be greatly appreciated

• AwesomeRifRafAwesomeRifRaf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is cross platform chat, and gaming with remote friends when using different consoles possible yet. Considering upgrading 360 to One S but many of our friends have no plans to change from 360 but we still want to play and chat together,albeit play games on backward compatibility games but chat regardless of game being played.

• AlphaWolf1138AlphaWolf1138 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be incredibly helpful as the 360 emulated games allow you to use the 360 parties whilst playing, but they are low quality and if the game crashes or you go to play a different 360 game you disconnect from the party

← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base