Post your new ideas and feature requests for Xbox (or vote for an existing idea) here!

Xbox One X Dolby Vision Support

To Microsoft & Phil Spencer,

Dolby Vision is the next big thing and it's already here. It's better than HDR10 and many premium 4k TV's if not all have this feature. Even 4k Blu-rays are beginning to come with this feature.

We are super excited about the Xbox X, however it's abit of a let down on many of us that DOLBY VISION IS NOT SUPPORTED on Xbox X and many like myself will be adding the Xbox X to a 4K TV that supports Dolby VIsion. This will be useless to use the Xbox x as my main device to view movies that come with DOLBY VISION feature because the Xbox x doesn't support Dolby Vision.

Therefore I won't see the full potential of any movies or games that will come with Dolby Vision feature. I feel cheated that I'm dropping $500 next week for a supposedly what Phil Spencer calls it a Premium Console that is as of recently not compatible with Premium 4k TV's that support DOLBY VISION.

Microsoft & Phil Spencer, more and more movies and games will be coming out with DOLBY VISION feature, I was planning to use this as my full main entertainment device obviously for gaming but also for movies however in light of missing DOLBY VISION SUPPORT I'm actually thinking of not. THIS IS A MUST ADD ON FEATURE, please Microsoft add support for DOLBY VISION so we all can really feel happy to drop next week $500 on launch week. Make us your fans HAPPY!!

636 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Wolfman266 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Cybrdude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dolby Vision is an end to end solution that requires licensing. In addition, while it is a feasible to implement on existing hardware -- performance is not guaranteed. I say this as someone who works in the industry as a product manager for 4K HDR Projectors. HDR10 is more than enough for this generation and HDR10+ will narrow the gap between HDR10 and Dolby Vision as it introduces dynamic metadata. :-)

• DocNYz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously this will complement Dolby ATMOS perfectly and make the Xbox One the true all in one device! All of the best OLED screens (including on MILLIONS of phones) now have Dolby Vision support and right now people have to buy other products to stream it or play the UHD BDs that have it as source material!! 12-bit handles BILLIONS of colors ...

• Rampant Ninja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@AKT8 in addition to this it looks like there's quite a few companies also backing HDR10+ now:

Amazon,
    Warner Bros,
    20th Century Fox,
    Panasonic.

Who knows maybe Disney may end up following Fox's lead.

• AKIE 17 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't happen, Dolby Vision is only possible if Microsoft paid a license to Dolby to have the hardware pre-installed on the console. One of the Key differences between HDR10 and Dolby Vision is that you don't need to pay licensing fees to use HDR10. There is some good news that since the XBOX One X has HDMI 2.1 it can be updated to support the upcoming upgraded HDR10+ format that can dynamically change lighting based on scenes like Dolby vision.

• Wlcm2NellyVille commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No one can predict the adoption of DV but its a compelling feature on today's standalone UHD BR players. When looking at Xbox as an option for a UHDBR player, it's feature incomplete.

As an LG TV owner, I fear that the Samsung-Microsoft partnership may prohibit or at least discourage MS from adding this feature.

• ROGUE UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for DV here, DV looks sweet on Netflix via my LG Oled, I'm using my X1X as a UHD player, so would be nice if it was supported.

• AKT8 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's only a hunch but I do not think this will happen, Microsofts old alliance with Samsung is still active and Samsung is opposed to Dolby Vision promoting HDR10+ as an alternative.

At CES 2018 Gears4 was being demoed on Samsung variable refresh rate TV's which is why I suspect the old alliance going back to the Xbox 360 days is still active.

It's a shame because MS should add DV support, it's an important feature for the AV market.

• BRAC75 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add Dolby Vision support Microsoft!!! I will gladly pay the licensing fee to get this feature on my One X. Don’t make me regret my purchase. I went ahead an made the purchase because I was sure you would add the feature in the very near future. It’s the single most important feature for me and I will likely sell my Xbox One X if it doesn’t get the update. Counting on you to not let us down Microsoft!!!

• randj89 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This one I really want so bad! I think it would be a good selling point resulting on attracting more picture enthusiasts like myself!

• RollingSlyStone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dolby Vision no longer requires an onboard chip and can be added via firmware updates to equipment with enough processing power. There is no question the Xbox One X (and probably S model) has enough power so please Microsoft, get this update implemented.

• The Real Batman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xbox was a launch partner but is the only launch partner with no support.https://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/dolby-vision-fall-release/
    I am not sure where this support is but after the HDR update and now the release of the X I would really love to play my HDR ATMOS titles on the X and if it did that right now it would be the only box that CAN. And that would be yet another selling point.

• SwordofWhedon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There’s a thousand threads in this, and it’s not the next big thing. It’s too expensive, and offers almost no real world gains over the royalty free, lower overhead industry standar HDR10, which every DV title works with.

It’s also buggy

DV will last about as long as Dolby is paying for the grades to be done. Probably not more than another year

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base