Post your new ideas and feature requests for Xbox (or vote for an existing idea) here!

Bring back Japanese voiceover in all the games MS publishes

We Japanese gamers had been enjoying Xbox 360 games for years, Halo, Gears of War, Alan Wake and so on... All of them are from the Western culture which is not familiar with us but the familiar language voiceover and the significant arts of voice actors made us feel familiar with these games and love the exciting stories.
Now MS seem to have no Japanese voiceover on Xbox One games such as Quantum Break, Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, Halo Wars 2 and they seem to keep this policy. That spoils us to enjoy the game stories and atomosphere. Though you make True 4K graphics games, we just stare the bottom center of the screen to read the subtitles and catch up the stories! And while controlling aiming or characters, I give up cathcing up what they are saying. For worse, notifications pop up and cover the subtitles... How dare we enjoy the game?
And also from the e-sports aspects, it is not fair to use the language someone doesn't understand.

We don't want to much more thing, but just want to get back what we had in Xbox 360 era.

793 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bob YAMADABob YAMADA shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • GTMartiniGTMartini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I known how you fell. I have a Neo geo, and those great games in Japanese for me is a no go. Samurai Shodow RPG is a great game that I'll never be able to play, unless someone translate it.

• SwordofWhedonSwordofWhedon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One Piece games are not dubbed for the same reason the games aren't dubbed in Japanese. The market for them is very small, and dubbing very expensive.

Japan used to be a wonderful haven where subtitles were default on everything but children's movies. It's such a shame that's been dying over the last decade or so. If you won't watch or play something because it's not dubbed, that's just pure lazy.

So until Xbox games sell the numbers to justify it, and I doubt Japanese dubbing will move the needle in any way significant enough to justify the expense. Very few games are dubbed in many Scandinavian languages where they move 2-3x the copies, so you're not alone.

• SightlessKombatSightlessKombat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As much as I appreciate your idea and understand what you're saying, developers that have put Japanese voiceovers into their titles haven't done with certain fighting games in recent memory, so it works both ways.

However, I hope that your idea is at the very least considered fairly as it should be.

• ElfFireElfFire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea. I'm in the US and have always enjoyed the Japanese games I've played that were voiced in English - it would be nice for you to enjoy Japanese voiceovers for English games too. I voted for this and wish you all best of luck!

• IcyKraxIcyKrax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This wouldn't affect me but I support this. Microsoft should try their best to support their small Japanese market & do what they can to grow that market

• Plan B de ikouPlan B de ikou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

どうせ日本語で書き込んでも無視してくるだろうが、敢えて書き込んどく。
    マイクロソフト本社とインディ系のゲームは、「全部」きっちりローカライズして「日本で」出せ!
    こちとら洋ゲーがやりたくてPCは嫌だからXBOX ONE買ってんのに、その洋ゲーが出ないんじゃ話にならんわ!Cities:SkylineとかState of Decay、Shadow WarriorとARKを日本語でやりたいんですけど、いつになったらこれらのゲームが「日本」で発売するんですか?PUBGをE3で大々的に発表してたけど、日本で発売するんか?
    フィルは日本を諦めろないと言ったんだから、責任はきっちり取れ。そして日本マイクロソフトも社長の言葉をしっかり心に刻め。日本のゲーマー達は、てめーらマイクロソフトのボンクラ共が本気出すまでXBOX見向きしねーからな。よく考えて商売しろや。

• Mttyd4Mttyd4 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not a bad idea and while we're at it Japanese language games in English or at least English subtitles

• behem0th xbehem0th x commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Voted for this one. It doesn't affect me directly, but the entire idea that this even needs to be voted on is messed up. Hit up @xboxp3 on twitter as well.

• nabe hako1banabe hako1ba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this post. Japanese Gamers want to play the games with no stless for reading very tiny sub. We want Japanese voiceover to all ms titles. Please!

• PKAnzugPKAnzug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with this idea. MS titles were once known to have excellent full localization with them. But it is now gone. In some part of "Quantum Break", we must understand spoken English without subtitles to catch up the story. It can be called even "a defective localization".

I understand that full localization of games with voice over are costly and Japanese Xbox market is so small. But if MS keep their "no voice over" policy, I easily tell that most Japanese gamers would choose PlayStation instead of Xbox. Because Sony titles still have excellent Japanese localization. If MS is really serious with Japanese game market as Mr. Phil Spencer said in GAME Watch's interview, MS titles should bring back full Japanese localization like before.

I hope MS changes their policy BEFORE "Halo 6". "Gears of War 4" was the first game of a new season and it was barely acceptable without Japanese voiceover. "Halo 6" is not.

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base