Post your new ideas and feature requests for Xbox (or vote for an existing idea) here!

Dolby Vision HDR support on UHD and streaming

Add support for Dolby Vision HDR on streaming apps and UHD Blu-Ray playback.

315 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Hoyty76Hoyty76 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Exodus BroExodus Bro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dolby Vision is now available through software, not just chipset. Dolby has released what is required for.the update, and Xbox is way over the requirements. Dolby Vision is now a choice and has been for several months. The ball is in Microsofts court on if they chose to add it. Dolby Vision is far superior to HDR10 if u have seen it for yourself. Please ms add this feature.

• TMSKILZZTMSKILZZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would be welcomed addition but I suspect it will be included in their next Xbox release after the upcoming XBX

• saudracksaudrack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

bitte bringt die DolbyVision HDR Unterstützung mit einem zusätzlichen HDMI an der Xbox One X!

• GRRWAWRGRRWAWR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm upgrading my home theater for the next 10-15 yrs. I'd buy an Xbox One to replace my 360 today if it had Dolby Vision support. LG has an UHD player for $250 with DV and a second HDMI out for lossless audio and lossless video, but I'm holding out for Xbox a little while longer because I like the idea of fewer devices, but with no loss in functionality.

• wbswbs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not want to purchase a standalone 4k blu ray player but if the Xbox X does not offer Dolby Vision at release I will need to buy an Oppo. I would rather use the X for all my movie and game needs.

• PSYCHIC FAIRYPSYCHIC FAIRY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please update Xbox one consoles to support Dolby Vision.
    I would like to have the FULL Dolby experience (vision/atmos).

I will be buying the Xbox one x ONLY if this condition is met.

• EdragonXXEdragonXX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you KIDDING ME? Microsoft can't ADD Dolby Vision to your existing Xbox One. Because compared with software based HDR10, the Dolby Vision is HARDWARE!!! Only thing they can do is add Dolby Vision chip to new Xbox One consoles, and it would be expensive!

• SwordofWhedonSwordofWhedon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Green is correct, and only a handful of sets support it, and frankly, most of us who work in the field don't expect it to go anywhere. It's hugely expensive to implement, has a big license fee, and currently quite buggy on both the hardware and software end with very little real world gain over HDR10 in consumer priced hardware. Add to that the expense of additional color grading and the authoring issues it's having, and most of us don't expect it to last much beyond the limit Dolby's marketing dollars.

• OnyxliaOnyxlia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add dolby vision HDR support on project scorpio / xbox one x. I am interested in buying the console ONLY if it supports this or i will buy the Opp 203 which does.

• Anthony VangeliAnthony Vangeli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The One S can barely push 4K HDR-10 Blu-rays, and Dolby Vision requires considerably more power.

So this would only be possible on the One X. And Dolby Vision is licensed, so it likely won't be included out of the box on the One X since Microsoft is only breaking even on the hardware. DV licensing fees are $2-$3 per device, so if Microsoft made it a paid add-on for $5-$10 then I see it as possible.

• CemsengulCemsengul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MIcrosoft please implement Dolby Vision support through a firmware update because I have an LG OLED55E7P and I am in the market for a UHD blu ray player, I would rather buy an Xbox One S than just a standalone player but the choice is not easy for me because the standalone players got firmware updates to support Dolby Vision while the Xbox did not, which makes me lean towards a Samsung 4K blu ray player because my tv actually has Dolby Vision

• CommanderROR9CommanderROR9 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would indeed be a great addition. Dolby now provides a purely software version of DV, and even showed it running on a PS4, so it is technically possible to implement this on Xbox One. Please add it, DV is the best HDR Standard!

• SuuuaveSuuuave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be incredible if they added Dolby Vision support. As someone currently shopping around for a UHD BD player that supports it this would make the choice super easy.

• BierluvaBierluva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would truly be a force in both movie and gaming entertainment. Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos would be great! IP control drivers to be wrapped into control systems/programmed remote controls would be nice too!

• InferableSpace8InferableSpace8 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would provide Microsoft and the Xbox One S and X a HUGE advantage over its competitors...and every other UHD BD player and streaming device on the market.

← Previous 1

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base