Post your new ideas and feature requests for Xbox (or vote for an existing idea) here!

UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get the urge to play Xbox 1 maybe every couple months or so... because I'm an adult and have a job! But when I go to play I have to endure 2 to 5 hours of waiting while the system and game update! This basically renders the system useless to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want my $500 back since you have sold me a product that I can't use!!!!!

132 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DwanD1LDwanD1L shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • O BarbosaMO BarbosaM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi! I believe that if you configure your Xbox for fast booting, this also tells it to download updates behind the curtains. Think it won't automatically install them, though, but that should be the quickest part.
    Cheers!

• OneH1ttaQu1ttasOneH1ttaQu1ttas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is it MS's fault that you don't have the time or urge to play more often?? Sounds like a "you" problem that you didn't consider that before dropping 500 on an Xbox. And like every other commenter said, instant on will auto download updates for you.

• VampireClaws36VampireClaws36 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why don't you update your Internet connection dude, 5 hours update with your low internet connection is so 1997 lol

• Sasori SaibotSasori Saibot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Help!!

Dude sorry for using you're post to get feedback but there is no legit forum for help on here...anyway I am having a major problem with my xbox1:

For starters my eject button and wireless connector button the side does not work. I called 1800 4 my Xbox but they just made it worse for me. They told me I needed to update my console because my games kept crashing online. Anyway when I tried to update I received an error message and it would not update so I called them again and this time they told me I needed to do a factory reset but I had to hold down my eject button and wireless connect button then tap the Xbox power button but those buttons don't work. Is there any other way or anything I can do to get to the troubleshooting screen so I can use my USB flash drive to update my console?

• WifelyDrop9612WifelyDrop9612 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you do realise that you can set it so that as long as there is power and internet then it updates- even if turned off.

• SACRED JUTSUSACRED JUTSU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good news. The latest update added settings that allows automatic updates to the consoles OS without wasting your data by updating everything else.

• Anthony2015Anthony2015 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you an Adult because you sound like a child to me. why don't you use the automatic download update feature and grow up....

• FascistFungusFascistFungus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good for you, Dwan, you have a job. You also state you're an adult but the way you complained like a child about updates certainly doesn't scream, 'I'm an adult!", instead it screams, "I'm an immature manchild!" instead. And if you think that is making a system useless, Dwan, try getting the BSOD with a Microsoft OS, then you will understand the true definition of useless.

Updates, for those uninformed, fix issues and don't always add features. I doubt you want broken software. As for those with data caps like I had, take that up with your ISP, that isn't Microsoft's/Xbox's problem. As for downloading updates and it being slow, well, that could be you're using wireless or have a slow as molasses network. Something simple that would solve that is get a powerline adapter or plug your Xbox One into a Ethernet port.

• Mythonaut IXMythonaut IX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can use the "Instant On" power setting to automatically download updates while the system sleeps. Also, the frequency and size of updates are up to the game publishers/developers... not Xbox.

• SACRED JUTSUSACRED JUTSU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah. The updates suck. They are far too frequent and add almost no useful features. Even worse, they even take away some features. Many of them are fairly large and take a good chunk of time that could be better spent gaming or watching TV. These problems are increased exponentially if you have slow internet or your ISP has a data cap. They could structure updates seasonally and give users the option of declining nonessential updates without forcing them into offline mode.

• GhostyHDGloryGhostyHDGlory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beyond belief that games don't update while in energy saving/instant on mode! Top it off xbox is the slowest network ever. How does it take 1 hour to download 2gb of data on 70mb/s?

• johnybravo501johnybravo501 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SOLUTION! I just stopped playing for the last 6 months. I only get about an hour or 2 a week to play and the updates take 45 minutes to an hour, plus trying to load a new game can take several hours. It is just ridiculous

• E 2 SMOOTH 4YAE 2 SMOOTH 4YA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I say it should be optional because everyone doesn't have the same problems just state what the update is for if we need it then we download it if we don't then store it in the updates just in case

• Lord Anub1Lord Anub1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is absolutely ridiculous that everytime i want to play xbox i have to wait at least an hour for an update. It's 20 mins updating the xbox, then another update to the game. I log about once a week to play and i dont even want to play online half the time. But given that i can't get achievements without being online and it mandates installs of updates, i find myself playing very rarely. I wont be buying another console from xbox despite my long running love of the xbox systems, hard to justify when i spend all my time updating and not playing. FFS stop the constant updates and the mandated online or else mentality.

• heathskiheathski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had mine on instant on but I still had updates for the games I own. All I want to do is switch on and play with what I have but mostly I can't. Thank god I kept my 360.

• samm4kingsamm4king commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Love this post! I just want you guys to know I've been an Xbox live user at least 15 years. I hate the updates! I don't play as often as I used to and every single time without fail I turn it on I have to update! This is a steaming pile of crap! Nothing makes me want to shut this console off more than the fact that each and every time update update update! Make it optional or biannual stop with this BS!

← Previous 1

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base