Ease of Access

Provide your feedback on how we can make your Xbox One experience more accessible.

Vote for new features, updates to existing experiences, hardware you would like us to support, and any apps or games you wish were accessible. Be sure to tell us in the comments what type of support you want in the specific apps and games you request (narrator, magnifier, high contrast, larger text, etc.).

Keep in mind that when you are searching, you are only searching through the Ease of Access forum! If you don’t find your idea below, you can search and post it in the New Ideas forum!

Suggest features and changes to improve Ease of access

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Option to Disable Specific Limb Recognition via Kinect

Kinect games/software should have the ability to "turn off" limbs in games. For example, a wheelchair user would be able to turn off their legs and only focus on arm actions (also would need to be able to recognize wheelchair users). Or an amputee could turn off their missing arm or leg. This would allow people with a variety of disabilities to get some function from the Kinect.

[Mod edit: Title changed from "Kinect 'Turn off' Limbs."]

31 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make an official ergonomic controller

I have been gaming from the beginning (Atari days) and have been part of the largest gaming demographic. I now have developed trigger finger due to playing so much so that my thumbs & forefinger have stiffened straight and I had to have surgery to release them. I don't want to give up gaming. Do you have a controller in the works that will allow people like me or even some with disabilities to use a controller without having to grasp it in a stressful position? I have ideas on possible designs that might be a good starting place. I'd…

31 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Additional font choices for subtitles/captions

There are typefaces that can help greatly for people who have difficulty reading. Some find simple familiar fonts such as Arial to be the most helpful, others swear by the recently developed dyslexia fonts. Some of the dyslexia specific considerations are contentious, but there’s plenty of anecdotal evidence for them being helpful for some people, and it certainly does no harm to include them.

There are also some general easy-read principles applicable across many people who have difficulty reading, such as distinct letter forms and long ascenders/descenders.

A very good typeface to look into that uses these principles is FS-ME,…

30 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Have game and party chat be transcribed automatically ( captions for player chat )

Make voice recognition software type what players are saying in multiplayer games in subtitle form...would be a great feature for the deaf and hard of hearing!

29 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Let all Xbox One owners know that the device now has accessibility functionality during console setup

An initial prompt about accessibility settings during console setup would be hugely beneficial. Ideally allowing users to choose settings at the outset during the console setup, but even just a general FYI message saying that ease of access options exist would still make a big difference.

Samsung phones do a pretty good job of this, the accessibility settings box is one of the first things you see when you turn the phone on for the first time: http://static.samsungsimulator.com/simulator/6df81d2b-90d4-48c9-919d-045e5d35a020/output/img/image/product_4464/hBE6OgbSeI1425928302233.png

The above all obviously relates to new console owners, but some way of notifying all existing owners that the functionality has been…

29 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Narrator Audio Ducking Toggle

Create a setting to allow the user to toggle audio ducking on or off for Narrator. Some users find it helpful to have the background audio “ducked” behind the Narrator voice so that they can hear Narrator better. Other users find the change in volume caused by audio ducking distracting. A simple toggle setting would allow the user to choose what is best for them.

28 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Handicap gamer/ergonomic option: Foot pedal or external input jack

The console controller design is very dated. You have to keep your thumbs on the analog sticks while trying to use the ABXY to preform those amazing combos. We already know how to fix it (elite controller and scuf) which just hit mainstream for a premium price. In time this layout should become the standard as its the only want to remain immersed in the game. The point it we have 6 fingers that are currently not engaged and countless other methods of input.

Its sad we don't have a data cable that connects to the controller which allows a…

28 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Adjustable pitch for Narrator voice

This is not a high priority for me personally, but it would be nice to be able to adjust the pitch of the Narrator voice.

28 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Switch accessibility for Xbox One

Compatibility with bespoke simplified input devices, used by people who are physically unable to operate standard controllers.

For controlling by one or two accessibility switches, the first thing is accepting the input (recognising tab to advance and space/enter to select, regardless of whether they come from a device that appears to be a keyboard). Second is making sure that there's a means of moving back up a level by only using the enter key - equivalent of pressing B. There a couple of options of how to do this - one way is adding an extra item to the end…

24 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Improve ADA accessibility by implementing a controller Key Lock system for two-plus button press commands

As a person with a disability i find controllers hard to use. Most games requires 2+ buttons pressed at once. I think Microsoft should make a controller to support these needs. My idea is a Sticky Keys/KeyLock system so I could flip a switch on the top of the controller and then press the other 30 seconds to a minute later.

21 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Support for Bespoke Controllers (eg. head-mounted buttons that connect via a USB adaptor)

This predominantly means non-controller devices, some that function directly as controllers (for example a home-made custom one handed controller), and some that connect via an intermediate interface and appear as keyboards or mice.

19 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 3 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Ease of Access

Feedback and Knowledge Base