Ease of Access

Provide your feedback on how we can make your Xbox One experience more accessible.

Vote for new features, updates to existing experiences, hardware you would like us to support, and any apps or games you wish were accessible. Be sure to tell us in the comments what type of support you want in the specific apps and games you request (narrator, magnifier, high contrast, larger text, etc.).

Keep in mind that when you are searching, you are only searching through the Ease of Access forum! If you don’t find your idea below, you can search and post it in the New Ideas forum!

Suggest features and changes to improve Ease of access

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Kinect support for people who are disabled/bedridden

When setting up Kinect games it says to please move the Kinect so that the Kinect can see the floor, which is impossable when you're disabled and bedridden. So many of the games will not work and the ones that do work, work poorly. I'm sure that this problem could be solved by a simple update.
    So please help! Please fix!

60 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow blind users to control Xbox One through some simple SmartGlass tweaks

People with low/no vision operate smartphones through software called screenreaders, that speak out what is on the screen.

This is software that is already built in to every android and iOS device, and if apps are developed to be compatible with it a blind user is able to run their finger across the screen and have an artificial voice speak out the name of every interface element... allowing them to 'see' the layout of the screen, and use it in the same way as a sighted person.

Smartglass is already partly blind-accessible, with just a few more tweaks to how…

54 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Have Narrator Read Notifications

[Mod edit: Title changed from "have narator speek notifications like when you get a game achievement or a new message from someone."]

53 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Have the Narrator Pronounce License Agreements and Policies

It takes a long time to read them carefully and they get updates so we have to read them again. If the narrator could just pronounce these agreements and policies for us it would be really helpful.

48 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Better accessibility for wheelchairs when using the Xbox 360 Kinect

I teach students with physical impairments and I use the some of the xbox sports for physical therapy. The Kinect has trouble recognizing wheelchairs and/or arm movements for students with cerebral palsy. Is there a way to get Kinect to "see" a wheelchair instead of legs?

47 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Audio Descriptions

Add the option for audio description on games for those with visual impairments.

46 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Choose between male or female voice for Narrator feature

Voice adjustment.

[Mod edit: Title changed from "MAKE NARRATOR VOICE FOR X BOX ONE MALE AND FEMALE. ADJUST VOICE AND PITCH."]

45 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability for Narrator to read in-game menus

The number one thing I would like to see is the ability for Narrator to read in-game menus. If it is not possible to do this without the support of game developers, then create a framework that will allow developers to easily support this feature if they choose to do so.

44 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Set Narrator Volume Independent of Other System Audio

Allow Narrator volume to be set independent of other audio. Perhaps settings for making Narrator match system volume, making Narrator volume be 75% of system volume, making Narrator volume be 50% of system volume etc... I find that I am turning the volume up when in games, and then turning the volume back down whenever Narrator speaks.

43 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Modify the Kinect to act as an eye-tracking mouse

Can you modify your camera to be used as an eye tracking mouse ?.

43 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Voice command request: "Xbox Show Captions" "Xbox Speak Captions"

This would be nice to have the global ability to enable captions quickly by voice command. This ability would be greatly beneficial when trying to quickly aide hearing impaired users to enjoy whatever content is being watched or played on the Xbox One!

Implementing "Xbox Show Captions" and even variants which call up foreign language captions like "Xbox Show 'Spanish' Captions" would be a way to help others quickly enjoy watched content as well.

A truly revolutionary feature would be to also have the Xbox translate and 'speak' alternate languages for users via an "Xbox Speak Captions" option... Perhaps this…

43 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Audio mixer/equalizer/fader for the hearing impaired

Audio mixer, equalizer, fader for hearing impaired

I am partially deaf in both ears but the hearing in my right is much worse. Until recently I used a 5.1 surround sound home theater setup. this allowed me to adjust the fade between left and right so I had audio on my right playing at about 1.5x the volume of the left. Unfortunately my receiver kicked the bucket last week so I sprung for some nice gaming headphones. My issue now is the audio on the left can get uncomfortably loud when I adjust the volume high enough to hear on…

41 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make a game controller that is Handicap or impaired adjustable

A controller that is adjustable in width and grip for handicapped and impaired (arthritis or injured) people. Width 8" up to 12." I am a 61 year old man who still likes to play drivers and shooters. I have wrist issues from injuries.

41 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Mono option for sound output for people with hearing challenges

I'm deaf in my left ear so when I game with a headset on sounds coming from the left side of my character can't be heard.

40 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Custom built accessible xbox one controller

Hello!

I am a dedicated gamer and have enjoyed playing with xbox systems since Halo revolutionized the way games were played. I haven't made the upgrade to xbox one yet, but I know I will soon. However if I'm going to spend money on a new system I want to go all out! I have used the kinect, and it is a lot of fun, but I also think I'll invest in an accessory I've been wanting since I played Halo.

I originally contact xbox one to ask this question:

“I am wondering if xbox has any third-party custom controller…

39 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability to calibrate the orientation (not sensitivity as is already available for the Elite) of the joysticks

Because of the different hand disabilities, "Up" might be at 1 o'clock on the left stick, and 10 o'clock on the right stick for some people (i.e., for me). It would be a very simple software app that could allow us to calibrate the orientation of the sticks. Yet, it would make the sticks much more accurate for me, if I could calibrate them thus.

37 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Map buttons to launch Ease of Access Apps

When using the Xbox Accessories app to remap buttons on the controller(s) and/or assign functions to X1 & X2 on the chat pad, give the option to assign Ease of Access apps, such as Narrator, Magnifier, High Contrast, or Closed Captioning for quicker access to most commonly used accessibility options.

37 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make Game DVR Accessible with the Narrator

when using the game d v r feature have the options be read by narrator the screen reader on xbox 1.

34 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Option for a Simplified/Easy Mode for User Interface

Although the console UI is less complex than Windows for example, it still involves a level of cognitive and motor demand that is too great for many people. Offering an alternative simplified version (reducing the amount of functionality and the number of choices available at any point) would be a huge help to these audiences, and could see other uses too, for example younger kids.

Recent Samsung phones have a nice example of how to handle an easy mode - http://cdn.theunlockr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Easy-Mode-Galaxy-S6.jpg.

In general, thinking about how an interface would would work on a small phone is a good way…

34 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. App for the partially sighted/visually impaired

I am visually impared & use Xbox alot for gaming & apps. I would like a talkback feature which tells you what you are highlightin eg. Hold X on Rainbow Six & a voice tells you that game. If not, maybe a zoom function for the dashboard like we use on Explorer with LT & RT.

33 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Ease of Access

Feedback and Knowledge Base