Suggest features and changes to improve Ease of access

Encourage game developers to avoid excluding gamers with disabilities

More than 20% of gamers have some form of disability, from colourblindness and dyslexia to deafness and cerebral palsy.

But many are often excluded from enjoying games through trivial design decision. The reason is usually a simple lack of awareness on the developers' part, no-one intentionally sets out to exclude people.

A few examples of common easy design considerations that can help many people are:

- Allow buttons to be remapped
- Don't rely on colour alone to convey information
- Provide a subtitle option
- Avoid tiny low contrast text
- Allow players to advance through text at their own place / according to their own reading speed
- Provide separate volume controls for music, speech, sound effects and background noises

So you can see that these are generally just about giving players a bit of customisation or reinforcing information in more than one way, which makes gamers better for all players, regardless of whether they're disabled or not. And if thought about early enough in development, they're also often cheap and easy to do, certainly enough to make it a worthwhile effort.

Although XBox do not make games themselves, they do have a set of requirements that all game developers must meet in order to publish a game on the system - these are called TCRs (technical certification requirements), and include things like 'games must not crash' and 'any opening cinematic more than 20 seconds long must have a skip button'.

So these guidelines could be used to enourage developers to think about accessibility for disabled gamers.

That's the important thing, 'encourage' rther than 'require', as what's possible and sensible varies from game to game. Even just a single line in the requirements like this would make a huge difference, letting developers know that disabled gamers are even a thing and that there are easy ways to include more people:

"Make reasonable attempts to avoid unnecessary exclusion of the 20%+ of gamers who have disabilities, through considering best practice guidelines such as http://www.gameaccessibilityguidelines.com from the earliest stages of development, and include people with impairments in playtesting whenever possible"

This could be reinforced by allowing some of these preferences to be saved at a system level, in the same way that controller inversion is.

201 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

IanHamilt0n shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • UrticateFir6007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Become rich today and take the risk of transforming your own life.Try and get a blank ATM card today from (MR David) and be among the lucky ones who are benefiting from this cards. This PROGRAMMED blank ATM card is capable of hacking into any ATM machine, anywhere in the world. I got to know about this BLANK ATM CARD when I was searching for job online about a month ago..It has really changed my life for good and now I can say I'm rich because am a living testimony..Every now and then I keeping pumping money into my account. There is no risk of being caught, because it has been programmed in such a way that it is not traceable, it also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you..

There are different varies of cards

The card that withdraws $7000
    The card that withdraws from $10 to $10,000
    The card that withdraws from $10 to $20,000
    The card that withdraws from $10 to $30,000
    The card that withdraws from $10 to $40,000
    The card that withdraws from $10 to $50,000
    The card that withdraws from $10 to $100,000

***NOTE: DON'T EVER MAKE THE MISTAKE OF CLICKING THE "ALL" OPTION. BECAUSE IT WILL TAKE OUT ALL THE AMOUNT OF THE SELECTED VAULT. To get the card email again at davidariel555@gmail.com..

• HyruleBalverine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good luck. And I mean that seriously, not sarcastically. I have a number of color blind people in my family, so I totally get it.

• GrowlingYapper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not disabled but agree with the OP, A start would be for devs to employ more disabled people in game and hardware development.

• Atomic Shrek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Black ops 3 has options for three different forms of color blindness that completely changes small things. From the hit-markers to the indicators on the mini map, it helps.

• MolarCorn110585 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Awareness is a big problem but a company like Microsoft Should be ashamed of themselves Especially of what they are doing now By showing us that near raider works perfectly In The home screen But when you start a game Somehow narrator can't read text anymore I guess it has trouble seeing like me or is it the Company not wanting to expand it like they should In order to help all them people That you were talking a bout

• IanHamilt0n commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The TCRs are internal requirements that Microsoft set for people developing for them.

They aren't allowed to be shown to the public, but they are 100% visible to every developer. They're rules, developers are quite literally are not allowed to release their game until MS have checked that every requirement is met.

• SightlessKombat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that part of the problem is the TCR's aren't publicised enough. Killer Instinct, for example, has cutscenes that are more than 20 seconds long and (as of this moment), I haven't found a way to skip them. I think the first step would be to get the TCR's publicised and then update them,. Alternatively you could do it the other way round - update the guidelines now and then publicise them to make game developers think about what they're doing, hopefully at least. Could you put a link in so that everyone could view the TCR's for ourselves?

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base