Ease of Access

Provide your feedback on how we can make your Xbox One experience more accessible.

Vote for new features, updates to existing experiences, hardware you would like us to support, and any apps or games you wish were accessible. Be sure to tell us in the comments what type of support you want in the specific apps and games you request (narrator, magnifier, high contrast, larger text, etc.).

Keep in mind that when you are searching, you are only searching through the Ease of Access forum! If you don’t find your idea below, you can search and post it in the New Ideas forum!

Suggest features and changes to improve Ease of access

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Have Cortana read text/subtitles out loud

That would be great if we could have this on Xbox for people like toddlers, autistic, elders and blind people etc. who have trouble reading or recognising on screen words on anything even any games and apps using Kinect manually and automatically for those without Kinects or microphones.

489 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Xbox One Narrator available outside of the US

Dear Xbox accessibility department,
    I recently became aware that a new narrator feature had been released for Xbox One. However, I also found out that it was only available in the US. I'm writing this letter to express my disappointment.

I don't think it is very fair that the narrator is only available in the US. Think about all the other blind Xbox One users in the other countries of the world who struggle to get the most out of their consoles because no accessibility features are provided for them. I, myself, am a totally blind Xbox one user and…

79 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Have Narrator Read Notifications

[Mod edit: Title changed from "have narator speek notifications like when you get a game achievement or a new message from someone."]

53 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Have the Narrator Pronounce License Agreements and Policies

It takes a long time to read them carefully and they get updates so we have to read them again. If the narrator could just pronounce these agreements and policies for us it would be really helpful.

48 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Choose between male or female voice for Narrator feature

Voice adjustment.

[Mod edit: Title changed from "MAKE NARRATOR VOICE FOR X BOX ONE MALE AND FEMALE. ADJUST VOICE AND PITCH."]

45 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability for Narrator to read in-game menus

The number one thing I would like to see is the ability for Narrator to read in-game menus. If it is not possible to do this without the support of game developers, then create a framework that will allow developers to easily support this feature if they choose to do so.

44 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Set Narrator Volume Independent of Other System Audio

Allow Narrator volume to be set independent of other audio. Perhaps settings for making Narrator match system volume, making Narrator volume be 75% of system volume, making Narrator volume be 50% of system volume etc... I find that I am turning the volume up when in games, and then turning the volume back down whenever Narrator speaks.

43 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make Game DVR Accessible with the Narrator

when using the game d v r feature have the options be read by narrator the screen reader on xbox 1.

34 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Narrator Audio Ducking Toggle

Create a setting to allow the user to toggle audio ducking on or off for Narrator. Some users find it helpful to have the background audio “ducked” behind the Narrator voice so that they can hear Narrator better. Other users find the change in volume caused by audio ducking distracting. A simple toggle setting would allow the user to choose what is best for them.

28 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Adjustable pitch for Narrator voice

This is not a high priority for me personally, but it would be nice to be able to adjust the pitch of the Narrator voice.

28 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Ease of Access

Feedback and Knowledge Base