Ease of Access

Provide your feedback on how we can make your Xbox One experience more accessible.

Vote for new features, updates to existing experiences, hardware you would like us to support, and any apps or games you wish were accessible. Be sure to tell us in the comments what type of support you want in the specific apps and games you request (narrator, magnifier, high contrast, larger text, etc.).

Keep in mind that when you are searching, you are only searching through the Ease of Access forum! If you don’t find your idea below, you can search and post it in the New Ideas forum!

Suggest features and changes to improve Ease of access

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Ability to turn off vibration on the Xbox One controller

I want an option to turn off the controller vibration in general. Not just game by game. I am a disabled gamer and the vibration can be painful for me.

[Mod edit: This idea was combined with a post from McilroyTheStig. Thanks, everyone!]

1,882 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

315 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have Cortana read text/subtitles out loud

That would be great if we could have this on Xbox for people like toddlers, autistic, elders and blind people etc. who have trouble reading or recognising on screen words on anything even any games and apps using Kinect manually and automatically for those without Kinects or microphones.

424 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Narrator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make Xbox One bluetooth compatible for use with hearing aids

I wear hearing aids and would like to be able to stream the sound from my console directly to my hearing aids, the same way I do with phone calls and all other media, via my Bluetooth device.

394 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Increase Font Size/Make It Resizable

I have a hard time to read all the (white) text on the dark background since the font is simply too small. I am not sitting very close to my TV and sometimes I even have to walk closer to the TV to be able to read anything. Especially when navigating through the settings of Xbox.

It would be great to be able to increase the font size.

347 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

51 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create a lighter controller designed for users with muscular diseases

I am a carer for a lad with X-linked Myotubular Myopathy. It is extreme muscles weakness and has very delicate hands. He can't use the xbox controller but wants to. A smaller lighter controller with the same analogue and Dpad layout as a PlayStation controller. It is easier to use for physically disabled people with specific diseases and this also has a market for children. I feel very strongly for this and think it would benefit everyone if this idea was put into action. Rachel G in support was on board and very helpful with this matter. I hope people…

298 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add a Disabled Gamer Gamerpic

I recently saw someone put out a plea on twitter for a way to upload a custom profile picture, as they wanted their gamerpic to a symbol that represented that they were a disabled gamer.

Although the existing request for physically impaired avatars would go a part of the way towards this, what he was looking for was a symbol - e.g. http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/game-access.htm.

While it's obviously not going to be the case that people can upload pictures themselves, adding an extra gamerpic would be a quick and easy solution.

214 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Single-handed Xbox One Controller

Please release a controller for disabled people who can only use one hand. Even a flightstick with an analogo thumbstick on top would be awsome. So many people have this necessity... LET THEM BE GAMERS!

176 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. ADHD: Notifications for how long you've been playing

For those with ADHD, video games can be both great and a detriment since we tend to hyper focus on some things and lose track of time. It would be great if you could have an alert that would notify you how long you've been playing the game or pop up to highlight the time at set intervals.

174 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Rumble for people with pacemakers

Hi my name is Debra,
    I have a suggestion I hope you can pass on to the firmware folks. I have a heart condition and I have a pacemaker.
    A year ago, I opened up my Xbone and removed the wifi card (knowing about warranty void etc.). I strictly use wired internet with a wired controller. I CANNOT have wifi direct/wifi/blutooth devices in my home due to my condition. Xbone's latest firmware does not allow rumble over any wired controllers when the WiFi direct card is physically removed. I know this as a matter of fact and it's very unfortunate…

157 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Encourage game developers to avoid excluding gamers with disabilities

More than 20% of gamers have some form of disability, from colourblindness and dyslexia to deafness and cerebral palsy.

But many are often excluded from enjoying games through trivial design decision. The reason is usually a simple lack of awareness on the developers' part, no-one intentionally sets out to exclude people.

A few examples of common easy design considerations that can help many people are:

- Allow buttons to be remapped
    - Don't rely on colour alone to convey information
    - Provide a subtitle option
    - Avoid tiny low contrast text
    - Allow players to advance through text at their…

140 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Remove Xbox Message Cap for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Gamers

XBOX should provide unlimited messages for deaf and hard of hearing people. They limited how many messages per day. It's unfair for us, deaf and hard of hearing people, who use xbox messager or inbox as our form of communication. We cannot communicate through mic knowing we can't hear.

If you go overboard with messages, you have to wait at least 24 hours to be able to send more messages.

Thanks.

126 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow a choice of system font

Font choice can make a real difference for people who have difficulty reading, and for some people with vision loss too.

As different people have different needs, even within the umbrella of 'dyslexia', a choice of a few different options would be useful. Some people benefit from reading the typeface that they are most familiar with. Some swear by the amateur dyslexia fonts. Others prefer easy-read. A good set of options might be:
    - Default system
    - Arial/verdana
    - FS-ME

And potentially something along the lines of opendyslexia/dyslexie too.

Perhaps even going as far as an easy-read preset, that ups…

108 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Promote Very Broad Difficulty Adjustment in Games

To take into account players with slower reactions and/or understanding, please, pretty please, do something about the mad difficulty level in many games.

In the late 70's/early 80's Atari used to offer difficulty level adjustment for one or two players. They used to offer easy play options.

Things seem to have gone backwards since then in main-stream games. For many players there is no such thing as too easy. Game developers need to hear this message.

Even if it's just for a segment of the game, some practice areas, or a range of restricted on-line arenas, this would be a…

84 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Turbo function in the Xbox One Elite controller would help the disabled community gamers.

Hi,

I am a young adult that unfortunately lives with a neurological disability that limits my motor skills. I, as well as many gamers in the disabled community play video games as an 'escape' from a world of physical limitations and become immersed in a virtual realm of endless possibilities. I try to find ways to make the games I love work around my disability, however there is one issue I've faced in many games in which I cannot overcome on my own; most games contain at least one button mashing section that requires you to rapidly press a button…

73 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Free Magnifier to Zoom Into Small Text On Screen

Make a free magnifier (similar to magnifier on windows) for xbox one delivered via monthly update and able to be used in game. It's a must given the exceedingly small text size in most current games and the fact most people sit on couches quite far from the screen. A survey would reveal the majority of people (with 20/20 vision) have trouble with the small text in current games given that they are sitting as far away from the screen as recommended by optometrists.
    Nothing spoils immersion more than not being able to read text which is critical to gameplay…

70 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Configure Ease of Access settings for specific profiles

Make Ease of Access settings a profile level setting. For example, set Narrator to always launch when I sign in/the Kinect recognizes me, but have it toggle off for other profiles on my home console where the user may not need or want Narrator to be on.

67 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Remappable Triggers for the Xbox One Controller

Allow us to switch the functions of the triggers on Xbox one's new controller remapping app. It only makes sense that it should be there.

65 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 65 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ability to set a flag on your profile to notify other players that you do not use voice chat

Online gaming can be a pretty fraught experience when impaired speech or hearing is concerned, for both sides – e.g. a gamer with hearing loss being reported or kicked out of a game or for not speaking, and an unimpaired gamer frustrated with uncommunicative team-mates.

Although it’s an issue that largely needs to be solved at game level, it would be useful to be able to set a system preference to indicate that you do not (for whatever reason – may just not like speaking online) use voice chat, and have that in some way indicated to other players.

58 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. List accessibility features (colorblind mode, etc.) in game descriptions on the game marketplace

"If you can’t play it, you can’t take it back. You’ve wasted the money. Four times we’ve had unplayable games we can do nothing with."
    Gareth Garrett, disabled gamer

This is a huge huge problem for gamers with disabilities, everything from colorblindness to cerebral palsy.

It could be addressed very easy by simple listing key accessibility features, in the same way that information about violence etc is already shown.

There are a great many possible accessibility features, so they culdn't all be listed. But the most important ones would be:

- Remappable controls
    - Colorblind safe
    - Subtitles (text equivalents…

55 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Ease of Access

Feedback and Knowledge Base