Find ideas and requested changes to the Xbox App experience on Windows 10

Give us Windows 10 enabled modding on the Xbox One

I love that you guys are starting to integrate Windows 10 and Xbox. You have a huge opportunity to allow the PC and Xbox communities to mix in terms of modding. Something Xbox gamers (and console gamers in general) have been wanting for years is the ability to install mods onto their Xbox games. This capability would be a massive selling point. All consoles can claim certain hardware advantage, certain exclusives, and certain other miscellaneous benefits -- no console can claim access to mods. Obviously there are issues of compatibility, but I'm positive you guys are up for the challenge. You are Microsoft after all.

529 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kirkool shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • HyruleBalverine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It could be nice to create some mods; I just worry about people who'd take advantage of it. Look at what already happens with Call of Duty lobbies.

• SaffronLime2273 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is outrageous - I need an Xbox console to be able to manage my child's play on Minecraft online? This is near FRAUD!!!!!

What a waste of money - I want my child to play minecraft - I bought in, an apparently he can't share with others online unless I buy Xbox Live - I buy Xbox live, then I can't use it without buying a console - WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS, IF IT IS NOT FRAUD!!!!????

• V7 Z7 V7 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps, but only if the mods are reviewed by Microsoft like games, DLC, and updates are. That way there wouldn't be cheaters, but there would still be mods. Then separate modders and non-modders from playing together. Also, disable all achievements and unlock progress for the profile until they disable all mods. That way no experience is ruined.

• SSG Monkey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

mods... yeah cause we need more aim bots, chams.. in our games no thank you.. also cheap people who dont want to pay for dlc.. THE ONLY "modding" i would like to see is level creators that used to come with games like doom.

• olDerpyHooveslo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love PC modding. It Gives the Game so much more freedom and new content than ever before. Id love for this to happen, but sadly I dont think it will.

• FIROBUG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First i have addressed something quite similar in a decent post i had proposed that they create an open world for users to develope on making each bit of content a peice of digital rights.... if you are paying for a game every peice of it becomes a part of your collection....you choose a gametype, play mode,map, plot sequence , characture, and any custom animations for any of the above and you get to play.... say you want to play grand tourismo or forza but instead of a car you have the crazyfrog flying animation doable... teletubbies round in a cod game..... if your partner has made you especially angry use a kinect to upload a 3d modlel of them to the game and you now have a defined zombie or other enemy to take your frustrations out on (naughty bear style)....just like garys mod could never replace steam games or others but adds soo much enjoyment to gameplay as show in yourself ube unknown moments... and note i do agree with one sentiment that cheating on multiplayer events is just a game killer for everyone we should have an option to enjoy what we have paid for to the fullest extent possible...note too this could greaty come in handy with making content more universal.... ie my fiance is traumatized by any depiction of a clown or the all black eyeball indicating possession many games these staples exist and prevent her from being willing to play... sometimes she will pass me the he controller and tell her when its over but such a simple item could be neutralized with code if they made this a staple for their console.

• Gremace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Never going to happen ever its about licensing and drm think about if you mod lets say gta 5 with volkswagons and geo metros are they going to get a cut for using their ip probably not plus extensibility is no longer in Microsoft's control halo 1-4 bought em now halo mcc had buy it too but imagine me modding thoses games infite replayability why buy halo mcc when halo 4 never got stale cuz it was modded if you want that then buy a steambox

• Tangylink1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this idea but sadly could see this as a way to hack into the software, exploiting game code. Maybe even exploiting system code.

• skatestorm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i dont like the idea of having user submitted mods to console games. too many changes alter the experience. dont see it ending well.

• Xennma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be nice to have but one correction in what you said, "no console can claim access to mods" this isn't true. The Play Station 3 allowed modding of Unreal Tournament 3.

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base