Find ideas and requested changes to the Xbox App experience on Windows 10

Show controller battery level notification on the Game Bar overlay

Now that there's a wireless adapter for Xbox One controllers, there's no way to know when the battery is running low, as the controller doesn't flash its lights like the 360 one did, and there's no software for battery level like the 360 had either.

So it'd be useful if the Game DVR overlay would show battery level when pressing Win+G and if battery is low for it to popup automatically with a warning.

535 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Migue333 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Martinjh99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah would definately like this idea - Nearly got killed in Elite Dangerous when the battery died and I had to use keyboard and mouse to land...

• Nudelyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The state of this sure is some shameful s***.

It sure is great when the controller just dies in the middle of a game and I'm wondering why my character has stopped moving and is now dying.

You would think the company that made the operating system, input APIs, game overlay, controller hardware, controller drivers, wireless adapter, battery, and literally every other piece of the puzzle could manage to display the battery level in a convenient place.

The Xbox Accessories app is a sick joke as well. It takes up to 30 seconds to load and then more delays between clicks before showing finally showing you the information. You can't use it in-game. And if the controller is plugged in, it just says "plugged in", with no indication if it has finished charging or not. Absolutely pathetic.

I cannot believe a company with Microsoft's resources, selling a controller for the amount the Elite costs, and a proprietary wireless adapter, for the OS they made themselves, cannot fix this. Clearly MS just do not care, and Windows keeps regressing and losing features it had in the past.

• Lee Sin666 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WTH. It will be 2 hours in October since it was posted and they haven't done jack *** to make our lives easier... I will buy other brand controller shortly and Microsoft, I promise you, I will not buy any of your products in the future. Never. I don't get how this feature could have been overlooked in the first place, but ok, let's assume dev team didn't think it through. But 2 years after issue has been highlighted to you?! This is "we don't give a single fck about you" attitude. Shame on you!

• Hertslad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

voted I use a xbox one controller with the wireless dongle and would like to see a battery level bar on windows 10 next to the clock would be nice on the taskbar

• abdulhkeem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft:
    Did you really read my suggestion from over a YEAR now!
    if so where is it, RS1 came (guess what, nothing), RS2 is so close and i watch every build new features and yet again no simple battery info, you have 4 options to do it:
    1- DVR bar as it is so simple to open with the guide button on the controller.
    2- Action center (AKA notification area).
    3- The Taskbar.
    4- An app like the one with the 360 controller.
    when will it be there after 10 Years? really it is a simple task to write a small program that pop-up when pressing the guide button heck you had it for the 360 controller WHY not the ONE controller????

• mcgeehe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I finally gave in a bought the wireless adapter, it's great, a little pricey for what it does, but great non the less. However there needs to be a more efficient way of checking the battery level. Right now the only way I've come up with is to; download the "Xbox Accessories" app from the Windows 10 store, open it, then click on "Details" - this will show the remaining charge left in the battery. This method is out of the way and will force you to alt+tab during gameplay in order to check.

Allowing the Game DVR to handle this would be amazing, a simple press of the Xbox button to display battery level along with the DVR's other features seems natural; an in game notification that pops up on screen would automatically would be even better, though.

Hopefully this can find it's way into the upcoming "Creators" update?

• ChiefSlayer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

not sure how this isnt rated higher. Much needed tired of my controller suddenly dying in rocket league.

• Gerken918 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@DieHardLOVE your comment is the only useful one on the first page thanks. It's still inconvenient but I'll rake it. Come on Microsoft you have an Xbox app, the home button brings up the game bar.......add bat level to game bar? Seems so simple...... This is mu only complaint with W10. Doesn't excuse it though!

• Leijonapallo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bought a 150€ elite controller and adapter and it just dies on me during games without any warning. This level of incompetence is only achievable by Microsoft.

• Bogdan1101 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add a little warning on PC when battery of Xbox One controller for W10 is very low. Appear in game time. Thank you!

• CyanEndymion983 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know it would be nicer if this function was baked into Win10, but in the meanwhile check this out:

Follow these steps to get a battery bar on your desktop.
    Install Rainmeter (Desktop customization software) https://www.rainmeter.net/
    Install my "skin" for the software. http://starl0rd84.deviantart.com/art/xBattery-1-0-625843595
    Rainmeter tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Rainmeter+tutorials

• TheDiabolo1986 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make a App, a Option or something else to Show the Wireless Xbox One Controller Battery Status on Screen in Windows 10.

The 360 Controller App does this all the time when the Controller Battery is going low Power, why not the new One Controller?! Its so annoying for me to be in a Match online and my Controller cuts off because i dont know that the Battery Status is too low..

This is not a Giant thing for you, so please put this function in Windows 10, WE NEED IT!!

• Metaljesus85 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't need Game DVR ... And it seems it doesn't work with Windowed Borderless anyhow ...
    However I would love to know when my battery is low ... best would be if the controler light started to flash.
    not as good but still useable would it be if a simple press on the XBOX button brought up a little window that showed battery stats - nothing more, unobstrusive, should work with every game and even on desktop!

• WarmedxMints commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be useful. Although I just use steam big picture mode for now as that tells you your battery level.

• CustardCream UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After buying the wireless adapter for Windows 10 i would really like to khow much battery my controller has left, without turning on my xbox one! Please add the mentioned indicator to the game bar when you press the home button for Windows 10. Thanks!

← Previous 1

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base