Find features and requested changes to the Home dashboard and settings

4K or UHD Video Support

The Xbox One should support 4K Videos. I don't expect that the Xbox One supports 4K Games, but playing 4K Videos like the 4K Netflix TV Shows would be very nice.

1,985 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Identify1912 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminMister Retr0 (Feedback Admin, Xbox) responded  · 

The Xbox One S supports 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray™ and Streaming. With four times the resolution of standard HD, 4K Ultra HD delivers the clearest, most realistic video possible. Users can now stream 4k content on Netflix and Amazon Video and watch Ultra HD Blu-ray movies in stunning visual fidelity with High Dynamic Range. For more information, please visit the Xbox One S page on xbox.com. More information is available at Xbox Wire: http://news.xbox.com/2016/07/30/xbox-summer-update-starts-rolling/

275 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Player750103705 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Admin,with the recent launch of the Xbox one S,alot of confusion is arising in regards to its ability to support 4K Ultra HD. Just need clarification cause this will in fact affect the sales. Most review sites are saying that the One S will only work on tvs that r 4K Ultra HD enabled which will demotive some of the eager players who have ordinary LED tvs from upgrading since not everyone at the moment has a 4K supporting TV. Please advise

• AG Bucky Barnes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wait so is the Official Xbox app "FILMS & TV" also getting the 4k treatment?

Thing is you drastically need to add a download feature because streaming 4k content is going to batter broadband allowance & run up bills.

It's something so basic that is a feature on Windows & even the XBOX 360!! (to download films & tv that you've purchased!).

• RudeboyXL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its like saying a Fiat Punto should be able to go as fast as a Bugatti Veyron because the petrol supports those speeds.

• RudeboyXL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just because the HDMI cable that comes with the xbox one is capable of being used for 4K, does not mean your xbox is capable of it. The cable is a general use cable of the latest specification and will be used in all types of manufacturing for all different types of devices 4k and not 4k. The hardware in the xbox one is fixed and as far as im aware the HDMI output on the xbox one is not the correct specification to be able to output 4k, So this is not something that can be added as a feature with a software update.

• CyberDesMKIV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a 2+ GB External USB 3.0 Graphics cards for both 4K Media and games. We could plug our 4K TV Directly into this Graphics card to free up RAM on the Xbox One for processing higher amounts of non graphical data. This would allow people who aren't ready for 4K content to still enjoy there current Xbox and upgrade it with a attachment when they are ready.

• SwordofWhedon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You will have to buy a whole new Xbox. Neither the X1 or the PS4 supports HDMI 2.2, and while future hardware revisions may, these do not, and could not in 2013.

• Molddog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will we ever get 4k support so we can play 4k bluray movies? I don't want to buy a totally new bluray player for this. Xbox 360 failed us in the bluray department forcing us to buy a seperate player while Ps3 got a built in one. Lets be the first system to have 4k bluray and stick it to them for once.

• TheREDNECK73 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sense 4K content is being released I think it's time for Xbox one to be able support 4K uhd discs

• XboxStein42 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I meant specifically the app (formerly Xbox Video) should include 4K video for Xbox One and Windows devices with capable hardware.

• TKO1111 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

XBOX BRAND HAS BEEN DAMAGED BECAUSE OF 1080P COMMENTS. THE NEXT XBOX NEEDS TO STRIVE FOR 4K GAMING NOT JUST 4K VIDEO. Also it needs to be more than the ps4.5 or whatever. XBOX NEEDS TO SET THE STANDARD GAMING BY FUTURE HAVING TECH. JUST LIKE THE ELITE CONTROLLER THERE IS A MARKET FOR A PREMIUM XBOX. FOR PRICING IT SHOULD BE SOLD WITH XBOX LIVE 2YR AGREEMENT FOR LOWER PRICING LIKE PHONES. $599 IS A GOOD PRICE POINT TO START. SOME WILL COMPLAIN BUT IF ITS POWERFUL ENOUGH THE REAL GAMERS WILL CHANGE EVERYONE TONE.

• Dark N3bulaPR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was talking with one of your representative and he helped me and pointed me at the right direction i don't thinks is needed asap but i think having 4k etc would be nice because we could see the gaming worlds more detailed than normal and inmerse ourself in it and that would be nice thanks for hearing us

• XboxStein42 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the Xbox One natively supporting the HDMI 1.4 spec, I think certain movies or TV shows in the app should be allowed to stream in 4K resolution like Netflix. For those who already purchased HD copies of videos, they should be grandfathered in (not pay for the UHD version of the same video)

• Jaymo1978 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm hoping this is already in development, but I would love if 4K was enabled in the graphics settings when onnected to compatible TVs. The Xbox One was marketed as having the ability to push 4K resolutions, so the hardware is already "under the hood." Also, PS4 is rumored to be working on a 4K upgrade, so the time is right.

Add the fact that there has been a HUGE price drop in 4K sets, so the technology is more ubiquitous (likely in preparation for consumer 8K sets in the next 2 years) and the inclusion of 4K on Xbox One becomes forward thinking rather than a waste of resources on a very narrow niche in the market.

Even though the native resolution of current games is not in 4K, it is far better in terms of quality for the system to output in the resolution native to the TV, rather than having different TV manufacturers' up-conversion processes in control of converting the image into something near 4K.

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

• SwordofWhedon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Xbox One does not support HDMI 2.2, therefore the only purpose would be enabling piracy

A future hardware revision will likely change this

• SicklyKangura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The media player app on the Xbox One should be able to support 4K resolution videos from external storage devices now that it's able to play HEVC codec videos.

• DoggJON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HDMI 1.4 support 4K resolution. I don't want video games in 4k, only the xbox output not being lock to 1080p and allow the 4K.. I have my 4K PVR plugged in, Youtube app can also stream 4K video, etc... Now, I have to bypass my xbox for my PVR and use my smartTV app to be able to see youtube in 4K.... I don't want this, I want to use my xbox as multimedia device like it was before my 4K gears... :(
    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/4K.aspx

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base