Find features and requested changes to the Home dashboard and settings

Hotel wifi use

Most hotels require that you use an internet browser to login to use their WiFi connection. The Xbox One can not connect to these connections despite having internet explorer. If you use a phone to login to the internet and then enter your phone's MAC address into the Xbox so the internet connection thinks the phone is connecting again you can access part of Xbox live features. Netflix and other apps work. However, multiplayer gaming does not work at all in any game.

Either the alternative MAC bug needs to be fixed or allow the Xbox to work with these WiFi types using internet explorer to login.

162 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chaosswordsman3 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Zed Angst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have found calling hotel's tech support to be the only permanent fix. They will usually require the unit's MAC or confirmation of what IP is listed.

I stay in hotels all year for work and almost never have any trouble doing this. I perfer bringing the PS4 because of this.

• Xonatron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having major issues connecting to me university / college style username/password wifi connection, both the hotspot (requiring a browser) and the regular (requiring a user/pass login).

• IYAOYASPunisher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I figured it out how you can keep all your devices on the hotel wifi. It's the same concept as using your phone or laptop MAC address for xbox one but in reverse... as for me I use all my devices via Wi-Fi. I was not able to change the Mac address on my Wi-Fi but it was able to do it for my ethernet connection. So in order to do this I had to connect via a ethernet cable. Now basically the down-and-dirty is I change my computer's MAC address to match my Xbox is Mac address. After using my computer to verify through the hotel's website I logged off changed my computer back to the original settings turn my Xbox on and BOOM my Xbox logged on to Xbox Live! So now not only does my Xbox work on Hotel Wi-Fi internet but now my computer also works and I still have my phone all attached to the hotel Wi-Fi internet and they are all verified with no issues.

• ZodiacFenrir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AversiveMocha they can't fix it because the wifi that the hotel put is Strict and in order to do it is to put the Alternate Mac Address from any Microsoft phone, tablet, and PC will connect or you could call them so you can connect. And switching to PlayStation will be the same outcome

• AversiveMocha94 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For anyone still having problems, this worked for me.

Step 1: Turn on your phone's mobile hotspot and set it up. Step 2: Connect your xbox to your phone. Step 3: Snap Internet Explorer and go to any page with links. Step 4: Switch to your hotel's wifi network. Step 5: Switch back to IE and click any link. Step 6: The wifi portal page should load and you will be able to accept the terms and conditions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/367lvd/xbox_one_and_hotel_wifi_info/

• AversiveMocha94 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely ridiculous!!!
    This is the kind of *** that makes me consider switching to PS4.

I basically live in hotels, and I take my Xbox One everywhere I go, but what use is it to me if I can't use the free wifi that is provided by the hotel???

FIX IT!!!

• Chumpk1lla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Connecting up an Xbox to a Wi-Fi Hotspot

Choose a phone or other device to mimic, then find its MAC address.

On a Windows phone, you can find the MAC address by going to Settings > System > About, then clicking the More Info button.

For a Windows tablet or PC, you can open up a command prompt (CMD.exe), then type ipconfig /all and press Enter. Under the Wireless LAN Adapter, you want to use the Physical Address.

Connect to the hotel’s Wi-Fi and authenticate and/or accept terms through the web browser

Disconnect the device from the network – Its work is done

Tell your Xbox to act like your other device by mimicking its MAC address

On Xbox 360, go to System > Network Settings > Wireless Network > Configure Network > Additional Settings > Advanced Settings Alternate MAC Address

On Xbox One, go to Settings > Network > Advanced Settings > Alternate MAC Address

5. Enter the MAC address of the device you previously connected with and save the settings

Once the changes are saved, you should be able to successfully run a network test to the internet.

Though I spent most of my time out and about seeing the sights, this got me up and running on Netflix while on a road trip this past weekend. It’s first time I’ve brought my Xbox along with me when traveling, and it didn’t get a lot of use, but it was nice to have the option.

• RA168UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add a way of being able to log on to hotel wifis if you need to register first

• Ohsplat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is easy. Connect to router of hotel or whatever. Open explorer and manually enter web address to the login portal. For my company is just the company address usxpress.com. the agreement comes up.

• mamacate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some hotels will manually authorize your MAC but I'm staying in one now that uses a provider that won't. Marriott was great, but at Wyndham now and no dice. How hard is it to bring up a browser window so we can fill out a few fields. Even my e-ink kindle does this just fine. This thread is 18 months old. Please fix!

• DupreLives2Play commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am stuck in a hotel for two months, which requires me to logon to authenticate every two days. I would like a solution from XBox that would allow me to use my XBox without causing my phone's wifi to be out of service.

BTW, the only way you can play multiplayer on the XBox using the MAC address change is to make sure the original device does not try to access the wifi as well. Most routers have problems when it sees multiple devices using the same MAC address.

• M4UR4DER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently tried the mac address trick with my x1 and 360 during my last weekend stay and both worked fine did one with my phone and the other with wifes and was able to play multiplayer on both consoles...which was nice it was a double xp weekend for bo3....they still need to fix this issue but until then its worth trying

• Capshun Is Cool commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't connect to Xfinity Hotspot with Xbox One. Xfinity hotspots use a different type of authentication to connect. You have to enter your Xfinity account username and password which usually appears as a pop up or a separate screen. Xbox One doesn't allow this

• brewton955 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Xbox One has to be connected to the Internet basically all the time, it should be easier to connect to live in all places. This includes hotel rooms, dorm rooms, etc. Any place that requires "accepting the terms" for the Internet. Many of the media streaming devices are integrating this feature and this would make traveling with Xbox One way easier!

• icesick06 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its funny this feature is now available on the 360 but not the X1. So much for future proofing..

• DoKToR2Brains commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have tried all possible options with MACs, bridging, spoofing, swapping networks with I.E., etc. It is getting increasingly harder to accomplish this which leads me to believe this is intended behavior, not a bug.

I know we all like to be able to fix things like this on our own, but in this case asking the Hotel's IT support to simply add your XB1 MAC for the duration of your stay is the easiest. Typically the hotel out sources the IT, so the people on the phone do know what they are doing and it takes them 10 seconds.

← Previous 1 3

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base