Find features and requested changes to the Home dashboard and settings

Proper HD Audio Support

For audiophiles EVERYWHERE. Proper support for DTS Master Audio and Dolby HD - God Microsoft PLEASE sort this!

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with similar ideas posted by bozborn and Unwr1tt3n360. Thanks everyone!]

4,868 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

gingybreadman10 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminMister Retr0 (Feedback Admin, Xbox) responded  · 

Xbox One now offers the option to pass Blu-Ray audio via Bitstream directly to your receiver for decoding! This option supports DTS:X, Dolby ATMOS, and other HD Audio formats. You can turn this option on by going to Settings > Display & sound > Audio output and setting the Speaker audio to “Bitstream out”

710 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Medieval7380 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only fixed for blu-ray, nothing else! 5.1 uncompressed still only gives me 2.0 audio from all other sources, please fix!! Only work around I've found for now is to set the Xbox to stereo uncompressed when not using a blu-ray and let my receiver make it Dolby pro logic 5.1 for all other sources and apps...

• AtomicVariable commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dolby Atmos setting seems to be working great for me across the board. However, it too needs work. It keeps cutting out at different parts of the menu and sometimes doesn't re-initiate itself until I have moved into a new app or game. Rather annoying but the sound for the most part is terrific - even in Plex. If you do not have an Atmos capable setup, the system would definitely still benefit from straight bitstream for DTS HD and Dolby True HD.

• Crossed Sabres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was not properly implemented. It's only available for Blu-ray. Many of us want to use this feature for Plex or DLNA content.

REOPEN IT.

• RealityFigment commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given up waiting for this to be fixed and purchased an Nvidia Shield. Outstanding for too long. No DTS, DTS-HD no Atmos when streaming movies (I. e. Via plex). Why can't a simple option be added to pass through audio for non supported formats to AV receiver!?! (Don't want or need xbox 'other' sounds inserted into audio while watching a movie!

• VARodBR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to register here that I´m very very much frustrated to know the details about it only now.

I have just bought a XBox One S to be part of my entertainment room, thinking that I'd use the XBox as my main media center for games AND STREAMING with all the features that you announce like 4K, HDR and, why not, HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO?!!!

Why, Microsoft, did you do that to us?

What OneBgBdArtemis said bellow is all the truth.

I'm sure if it was told clearly, that the console does NOT do HD audio, but only for blu-ray, a lot of people (including me, of course) would buy another stuff, like NVidia Shield TV, to be their "media center".

Please, I wish you reavaliate this and extend support for HD audio for streaming and all the sound that comes out from the console.

• OneBgBdArtemis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bluray? How about syfy now, fx now or any on the other myriad of channels I can watch on my Xbox instead of turning my satellite receiver on for? Ya know, the applications that only broadcast in stereo o the XBox One? Or is the XBOX One just for ONE type of user such as 10 to 20 year olds who haven't matured yet or taken the time to put together a supreme home entertainment system?

What I can't figure out is how *** in 2002 managed to pull off full 5.1 in the original XBox via Fiber Optic and here, in the 21st century the latest and the most want-to-be entertainment center that is the XBox One can't handle mutiple audio decoding from a variety of sources, let alone just pass it through to my FULLY capable 2005 Sony receiver!

This is terrible. *** spends countless hours and money on apps, which by the way, is NOT a word, the correct usage and annunciation is application, and "community" nonsens, that ONLY teens and early 20 something individuals kind of care about, that the XBox One will NEVER become an all in one media center until the individuals with *** who choose these useless endeavors grow up and suffer the same sub par performance from their all in one box that we do.

Good luck, right? Liquid cooled processors, but audio capabilities of the Sega Genisis. Yup, that's EXACTLY what I have come to expect from *** over the last 20 years! Good work guys, oh and while you're at it, don't forget to update *** Excell with a new ribbon bar and remove my personalized most used items.

• olderthanthehil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've had my Xbox One S since Thanksgiving 2016 (birthday present to myself) to replace my Samsung BD/F5900 3D Blu-ray player . The Xbox has app support that Samsung has dropped . However , I don't like using it for streaming except for Netflix & HBO GO . Why ? The audio is sub-par compared to the HTPC I have in the living room (that it was suppose to replace also ) . I even went so far today to remove the Xbox & hook - up the Samsung again . Let it update some apps and away it went . Way better audio , especially on Blu-Ray playback on DTS Master 2.0 and DD 2.0 . Apps are better , even Netflix . So why can an $89.00 player outperform a $250.00 Xbox ? Had this same issue with my 360 Slim . Now my sound system is way below ATMOS standards (Vizio 42" 5.1 wireless hooked up via optical) , but it should be able to handle it . Now full-on DTS Master 5.1 or DD 5.1 Blu-rays and Netflix is fine. Am I gong to have to put the Xbox in the back room with the 360 & start using the Sammy again ? Heck , even my Panasonic Blu-Ray player from 2010 can still do better Blu-ray playback . And yes , I have everything set up correctly .

• RealityFigment commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bitstream out but only for blu-ray disks! What about mkv files, plex and streaming? Why only partly enable?

• rocco2501 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Similar to Bori2.
    I have an harman kardon avr70 receiver and when I activated pass through. It said audio was not capable on my receiver. It was DTS HD. Which my receiver is very capable of.

I set bitstream in my settings for a 5.1 setup and it SEEMS to be working properly. My receiver indicates Dolby Digital or DTS accordingly. I have not run a bluray but I imagine I should have no issues with Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio. I will be sure to check Bluray setting before playback just to be sure. Is there anything I should look out for or test on all other audio to see whether this is truly working now?

• EEEEYUKE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, technically the only passthrough working now is via the Blu Ray player app which does sound great. The instructions for that passthrough above are inaccurate because they are actually in the Blu Ray portion of settings, not display and sound.

• Riekopo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should not be marked as completed. The HD audio bitstreaming needs to be supported in games and apps as well.

• BORI 2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have an onkyo 805 receiver and when I activated pass through. It said audio was not capable on my receiver. It was DTS HD. Which my receiver is very capable of.

Just got updated on Ring 4. Audio bitstream seems to be working as expected for DTS and Dolby Digital on a 5.1 setup. I cannot speak to the media player app any longer as I found a far superior option in Plex Media Player serving up files from my office PC hardwired through a router. I do not know if the audio is good to go with Plex yet, but my cable box I run with HDMI passthrough and the console/games itself seem to be handling Bitstream ok.

• DarthTootius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From what I can see, it appears this has been fixed for blu-ray playback. You need to enable "pass-through" audio in the blu-ray settings, not the main audio settings.

I remember that 7.1 issue. That definitely needs to be fixed. Didn't realize 5.1 was glitchy also. Is that just a DirecTV thing? Thanks for the dialogue! Hopefully Scorpio gets all this correct from day 1.

• EEEEYUKE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So far only through Blu Ray. Everything else still uses Xbox audio processing. 7.1 systems when fed 5.1 signals deadens the back speakers and moves the audio incorrectly to the back surround speakers.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 35 36

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base