Find features and requested changes to the Home dashboard and settings

Add Preferred gaming language setting

Since you for some reason lock language and region (please don't explain this by Kinect, 360 had Kinect but I could set my console to English and still be in France and buy from the local Store) you should add a setting to define a Preferred gaming language which would make all games appear in that language if the corresponding localization is on the disc or in the download.

This would take away a lot of pain from us Europeans who are always getting games in our native language although we would prefer the English original since game L10N is so bad usually.

My suggestion is basically the same setting you offer in the BluRay player app.

357 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

WowSuchScore shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Puppy Fujo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Go to settings consul language, Suijin and select English is your language English, UAE for language region. then your location as uae, and then I'm in port put both of them in english united states. That should fix all of your problems.

• Shumayal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea.

One major problem related to this is the Battlefield 1 game. I live in the UAE and hence my Xbox Region.

My Battlefield 1 game starts in Arabic by default and with no way to change the language (not in game nor in xbox)!

The only way this can be fixed is by changing my region to UK or US (english speaking country) as suggested by reps themselves.

This works but this is horrid and my experience becomes bad.

Also the Kinect voice commands and Cortana don't work in UAE region as well.

• DarkSch666 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The idea is to add duplicated language preferences in system settings which would override the system ones for apps and games, and with no need to restart the system.

The games currently lacks of language selector, so they read the values (maybe region, language or both?) from the system for selecting the assets to load and other settings (like subtitles to show).

Well, it would be great if we could set these values in a way that only apps and games would read them, but not changing the system settings. As system settings requires to restart, and changes the dashboard language as well as the content we get from Xbox Live. Not good.

The settings are simple, put a value and the default one 'use global' or 'use system' like for not overriding the system values.

So, if we want to play a game with other language settings, we could change these values with no need to restart and launch the game or app (if resumed we probably would need to close the app/game in first place).

And OK, this as "step 1", the mandatory one. A "step 2" could involve settings these parameters by app or game individually, in its own settings (its management screen, the same one we use to delete it).
    This one would override the values of "step 1", the ones defined at preferences as overriding values. So we could define our library as wanted for each game. With the same values, the 'global' or 'system' one for not overriding, or a new overriding one.

• Shantic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this! I can't use prepaid cards unless my console is in Spanish, but I don't want to play games in Spanish! I want them in English!

• Seelan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This "feature" or downgrade they added is so idiotic, that my brain hurts.
    Microsoft: please buy a PS4 or Nintendo Wii U and copy the way they did this. Nobody will notice, and we all will be thankful.

Assuming that because we speak Spanish we cannot be in Germany or Switzerland is not the brightest move.

• Neverkn0ws commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want this so much. I hate it when I play Halo 4 in Halo: MCC while my console is set to dutch: "Druk op X om te herladen"... It just looks weird, I don't like it. I hate it that I have to keep switching my console region options so I can play my games in English which I prefer.

• xBlazingGeckox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft do not ignore this request. Why are you forcing users to use settings they don't want to use? A significant percentage of players enjoy playing games in the original laguage even in some cases just for the sake of practicing a foreign language.

It is a pain having to reboot the console everytime I want to buy something in the marketplace. All because the language is tied to the region.

Come on Microsoft!!

• ExtinctParrot22 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have seen a lot of these similar requests. The region lock is annoying and many people is sick and tired of not being listened (or maybe read fits better, hahaha). Because of the lack of suppervision of this "feedback" site and the lack of unifying threads, I conclude that microsoft doesn't listen (read, sorry) and this site is to make us think they are interested in our opinion. However, it is clear they don't.

• Xandu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Country and language are not the same. It should be possible to choose any language for any country. It would make sense to have the primary language of the country as the default.

• OskarRex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope this one gets around, i'm from México but its such a hassle that i can't use proper kinect comands due to the american accent, and i have to buy something from a web browser because i can't check the mexican marketplace.

• KaiserBLITZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to see this happen, too. I'm from Germany and now stuck with the UK marketplace if I want to play my games in English. That means I now I have to get prepaid cards from the UK through the likes of eBay or online shops. Yes, I know I can add my PayPal information to my Xbox, and no, I won't do that because I feel unsafe doing that.

Also, maybe a little interesting fact, the German dubbing of Halo, one of your greatest franchises is laughable. The voice talentof Halo 3, for the most part, is devoid of talent. It's so bad that it really took me out of the experience more than once. And since Halo 3 I bought every new Halo as a UK or US version just to make sure I get the English dub.

And this is just the most prominent example.

So please bring that option back.

• Apfeleimer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to see that.
    I'm living in Austria and I would like to play my games in English.
    With en_gb I dont have the metric system f.e. in GTA V, which is a little bit annyoing.
    Hope they will change that soon :>

• RenatoBlues commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came here to sugest this idea... I would also add prefered Dashboard and In Game Menu language.
    Really hope they make it on a future update.

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base