Find features and requested changes to the Home dashboard and settings

Estimated Download & Installation Times

In the Queue section of My Games & Apps, a great addition to the percentage progress bar would be to have an estimated time for how long the download (digital games or updates) or installation (disc) will take.

As space on the Tile in the Queue may already be limited (if seeing the artwork is still important), this information could be placed under Manage Game and would say something like "estimated time remaining: 4 hours".

In the Queue, where all items are listed, it could even say "estimated time for all downloads: 6 hours", covering the time expected for all downloads to complete (and would include estimated installation time of disc in the tray, if applicable).

As Ambassadors, one of the most frequent questions we were asked at the launch of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare was "why is my download taking so long? I've been downloading for six hours and am only at 10%" Thing is, when calculating how long a 45GB game would take to download on their connection speeds, 60 hours *was* accurate. Some people were not realising the size of the game or correctly appreciating their connection speeds. This idea would eliminate that and also just create better (more realistic) expectations regarding download times.

[Mod Edit: This idea has been merged with a similar idea posted by DJG1996. Thanks everyone!]

3,344 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

maxen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ya Boi CrazyX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great feature so that your not constantly going back and forth trying to guesstimate how much longer it's gonna take to download.

• Obsessive Power commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On Steam I have an estimated download time, and I also get one one PS4. It's great they now show the download speed and the bar with how much you have to download, we just need a estimated time.

• BlUn74Ce7rAuMa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something I'd like to see is when your downloading, updating, installing I'd like to see a time remaining or something of that sort. Instead of just a percentage, cause not everyone has blazing fast Internet.

• WizardPuppy2015 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It honestly does not matter how much we complain about this. Xbox will take its sweet *** time and then say "we have listened to the gamers and now we fixed it" but it will take over a year or more. It very pathetic that they just can't add estimated times. We will be able to see them most likely by 2017

• VUnit83 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A similar option which I would also be grateful for would be to simply to show how much of the game has been downloaded and how much there is in total, which would help me put download times in perspective (is my internet just running slow for a minute, or do I really have tons and tons of data to download).

• Hywelboii98 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When installing a game or downloading an update, it would be good if there was estimated time that the install/download would be completed. this would update as the speed of your internet varies.

• YoudyEU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the my games and apps on queue tell you how long approximate download time will be on the app and game your downloading

• Hywelboii98 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So when you are installing a new game or an update as well as having the percentage, it also have the estimated time that the download will be completed. So if you start a download at 12:00 it will say that it is due to be completed at 12:30. This will update in regards to the speed of your internet.

• DetestedNine28 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my idea is on downloads the console tells you estimated time till a download is completed like moving the percentage to where it says downloading and placing the estimated time where the percentage is now like what edge does on windows 10

• Nemo TheCaptain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ETA: 99+ Hours. Yes, please notify me every 60 seconds that my connection is too slow. Also, someone please notify the ISP's that it's almost 2016 and broadband is 25mbps. I'd like to see a histograph to see how stable my connection is too, thanks.

• Nemo TheCaptain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With my typically slow speeds, I expect to see "Estimated time remaining: 99+ Hours @ 100 Kbps (0.001GB of 10GB)" and "You are not allowed to play this game you bought until this small 10GB minor bug-fix is completed."

If this feature is implemented this decade, I hope it allows advanced formatting like "You must wait $time because your lousy $speed still has to download $remaining"

• LoneWanderer95 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Signed into my account just to add. Would love to see this come to Xbox. Love this feature on my PS4. Comes in handy for time management. What can I do while this downloads? Should i go ahead and run to the store? Ect.

Downloading ROTR and Halo 5 update right now! Would be nice to have multiple downloads going at once aswell. I try to keep up with my game updates and sometimes there will be 3 or 4 at a time that needs updated.

One question I'm not able to answer for myself right now?

• Yosemite 5am commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be great when we download a game off the online store, that it gave us an Idea of how much time is left. I don't mind seeing the percentage but I think everyone would rather see how much time we have left.

← Previous 1 3

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base