Find features and requested changes to the Home dashboard and settings

Grey out controller update when there's no new update

[Mod edit: This idea was combined with a similar suggestion from +Jrocker23. Thanks, everyone!]

3,051 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AMAULT17 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tommy Hoss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe have a darkened picture of the controller with the Xbox button light off and an overlay saying 'no update' - and conversely having a picture of the controller that's full gamut, then the Xbox button lights up and the overlay says 'update available'.

• GIT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No.
    The Elite controller actually does a full reboot after choosing this option and it is actually needed for certain bugfixing and troubleshooting.
    Why would you request less features or something to be removed which is helpful?

• El Emenopio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe an animated controller tilting left and right in the home dash to indicate controller update

• FINALDEATH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better yet, have an icon that shows up on the dashboard when a controller update is available.

• AngelTiddles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a system to make sure controller firmware is updated automatically with user interaction. This can be either:

A. As part of a major system update. The system updates the currently connected controller after asking the user to connect it via USB, and then asks them if there's any subsequent controllers they'd like to update.

B. Each time a controller is connected. Implement a silent controller firmware check upon each connect, and if it isn't the latest, prompt. This ensures that any controller, whether rarely used, or just freshly bought, or lost and found, is always up to date. It will even work with Instant On and auto update, as they'll be prompted.

The current hidden manual update system is awful and has resulted in not so many non-tech people even knowing it's there, and having buggy firmware still installed on controllers even though newer is available.

• Sixtydgree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. This should pop up when an outdated controller connects to the system.

• PleasantBuckle5 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. On day one my new Xbox One told me it required a system update, but failed to let me know that my controllers needed firmware updates as well.

On my 2nd day of ownership my controllers would only turn on/off my console, nothing else would work. After much frustration and searching I finally found some advice that mentioned updating the controller firmware. This fixed that issue and I'm functioning normally now. I was nearly ready to return my Xbox for a PS4 because of this.

The console should have told me, somewhere on the home screen that my controllers required updating as well. It would have saved me time and a lot of frustration!

• A Curious Frog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stupid idea, if the controller gets a bug this is the only way to reset the pad by reinstalling the update.

Lots of people, (including myself) get the bug where the mute icon is always on and no sound coming out of the headset. Manually reinstalling the update is the only way to fix it.

• derSTRODT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Show a notification on homescreen when there is an update for the controller .. comparable to the "battery for controller is low" notification.

• pshankstar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe this is a great idea and I'm sad it is still not implemented. i hope Microsoft provides this update soon. The Xbox One is almost a year old and this request should have been available since day one IMO.

• Kain NL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OR like the announcement for the XOne update when needed to be done.
    Just a simple tile letting you know that's time to update the controller !

• Bhutankam Pema commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you^ll Need connect Controller bevor xbox knows if ther is an update, because it could be that you have 5 Controllers and 2 of them ar updated. but the others not...

• Facu474 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Another option could be asking you if you want to update your controller, since i don't know which firmware version is in each of my controllers

• Veelox Incident commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this to be greyed out. if the console detects an older firmware it should auto prompt to update. say plug in controler 2 for updating. it shouldnt be on all the time. makes me paranoid!

plus I had to update again once
    I got the stereo headset.

← Previous 1 3

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base