Find features and requested changes to the Home dashboard and settings

Scheduling games download time

Everyone doesnt have unlimited internet plan.
But during a day there is some times that the plan is unlimited, for example during 1Am to 8Am.
Add Scheduling for game downloads would help me to schedule my downloads to 1-8am.

918 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SAEEDPROSAEEDPRO shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

162 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • st3v30619st3v30619 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would help tremendously!!!! I have 300 kb/s so it's completely awful to download anything. Every single download is now like 30 gb this takes an entire week.

• kbr98kbr98 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same here; excede gives me unlimited downloads from 3am to 6am. from what I'm reading from some of you I should simply wake myself up at 3, turn on the bright TV and X1 start the downloads and then set my alarm for 6 to turn it off. this is what I've been doing - unlike most on this post I'm paying out the butt for only 50 G pre month. Be great if MS would include a scheduling app for downloads of ALL types. IMO the older systems where better; less internet dependencies, much less.

• RKlaahsenRKlaahsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amen brother well said. I'm a satellite data user in Kitsap County, WA and the best and cheapest time is what you describe. If I lived 50 yds closer to Seattle I could get a fiver connection and not worry about getting my internet though a soda straw. Windows 10 has this feature, so seems like and easy win for Microsoft!

• GremoireGremoire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree with this. Please allow me to set the time when downloads and updates are allowed, such as between 00:00 and 06:00. And stop downloads/updates if the end time is reached and continue at the next start time. Not everyone have uncapped data accounts. I for one have a hybrid data account which is uncapped from 00:00 to 06:00 and capped during other times, so I would like to have the option to set my updates to take place during the time my data is uncapped.

This is also mentioned in: https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/363186--new-ideas/suggestions/15445902-update-games-during-a-user-specific-time

• ReSpawndeReSpawnde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, satellite or slow copper here and would love to use the satellites 1am to 7am off peak 80gig instead of peak 40gig d/l's......yep, Australian 4th world internet services at their best........I'm sure we had better pings back when on 14.4 dial up lol.....I need to schedule my update times MS!

• double b26double b26 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also think they should put a BANDWIDTH THROTTLE onboard. That way I could just set the max speed at whatever is appropriate for that time.

I can do this on my router, but it's a hassle, and it's not like it's some monumental task ... Free software for downloading things come with this type of throttle standard

• double b26double b26 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Even if you have unlimited bandwidth, some people may not want the Xbox hogging all of the connection during peak usage hours in their home, or at random, whenever the Xbox feels like it.

At my sister's place they can only get satellite internet or dial up, and no cell service, no other options. Hughesnet (satellite) connection is metered, and very expensive, but they do offer a window of free bandwidth time overnight.

This is why there needs to be a schedule feature for downloads. Really, they should allow scheduling AND make it so one console can share updates with the others in your home, like windows 10 can do, AND split the live connection into different ports (or something, whatever it takes) so a person can prioritize the traffic on their Network.

I have the console in routers QoS as high priority on the network, but since xbl doesn't specify which ports and connections are for gaming, and which are for downloads, it makes it impossible to set gaming traffic at a high level, while leaving downloads at a normal or low priority. So what happens is that my high priority Xbox start background downloading some update, and my entire network begans to crawl. If I turn QoS off, the ping increases a noticable amount when other people are using the connection for netflix and stuff, causing lag at times. It's a no win situation

• nascimentosousanascimentosousa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is good too if want to download when you are sleeping or not at home (working for exemple). Nowadays we have to remember to start the download before going to sleep or when we are going to work.

• Die MeesterDie Meester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to schedule downloads during off-peak bonus data periods will also generate more revenue for online game sales. I can't believe this was already suggested June 2014 and no efforts has been made to add this feature request.

• Len 3000000Len 3000000 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was just looking for this is X1 settings, and was surprised that it was not there. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, MS assumes everyone has a Gb/s connection and has money piled around the house. I don't need to download during off-peak hours due to any metering, I just need it to get around the sad way X1 won't allow me to turn down the bandwidth usage (max. limit). Please do one or the other.. preferably BOTH.

• CleverSpace498CleverSpace498 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Turn off auto update in settings. Turn on auto update and download between 1-8 am. Turn off update at 8am. Simple.

• GET BACK 2GET BACK 2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have a metered satellite internet and would like to schedule downloads between 2am and 8am, when I have bonus data available, PLEASE!!
    Any large updates or games wipe out my 15gb of shared MONTHLY data in a few hours.
    Thanks!!

• jimsoarjimsoar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Microsoft how about allowing scheduled downloads for both system and game updates not everyone has unlimited downloads nor the option for that for example my daughter has satellite with peak and off peak limits. The most she has is 50GB peak 70GB off peak per month surely as the xbox is very close if not windows 10 this is easily implemented.

• B0HlCAB0HlCA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Kids are always complaining that youtube isnt working and netflix womt load properly or continuously buffering and every single time i find the reason is my xbox one is updating a game, app or system .... because Australian internet is *** it would be great to be able to set a timer so that it only updates between 1am - 9am when noone is using the internet

• UnsungGhostUnsungGhost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was about to post another entry, then I saw this. I've been part of the preview program for a few years so I might get more updates than the normal user, but it has to be something that many have thought was less than convenient. So here's the post:

Currently the Dashboard updates when I wake up in the morning. It also requires user input and there doesn't seem to be an option to auto-update. This also means that streaming through the Xbox is impossible. The updates take less than an hour, which isn't too bad except it's just at the worst time of day. I wish it were possible to set a time window for updating a console. I could easily see 2am-6am or something of that nature. Or for people that work during the week they could set 8am-3pm.

I understand that it's useful to have all Dashboard updated to the current version but there should be an option to select the best time of day.

I don't think it will work to have an option to postpone an update, because most people will always postpone it and then Xbox will have to force an update later.

• BaydonBaydon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are on radio internet however still have unlimited download and 10Mbps speed; the problem for us is that the installs use so much of the pipe that it slows or stops everything else downloading at the same time (like VOIP or video). Setting a throttle during certain hours, would let me slow it (or stop it during the day) and crank it late at night.

• Lion WreckerLion Wrecker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More than that, it should be able to schedule the download hours, and limit the bandwidth usage, like Steam for example.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base