Find features and requested changes to the Home dashboard and settings

Play games digitally after installing from disc

I would love to play my games digitally after installing the game from a physical copy just because it would save more time switching between games and it would make up for the high memory usage when installing.

4,747 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AC3 EZIO AC3 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

274 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • street2234 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

that was gonna be a feature of xbox but everybody complain about the need of having the console connected to internet 24/7

• Cpt Kent James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xbox do this if you buy the game from the store, then use a disc to DL the game.

there is a good and obvious reason they don't let you do this with just the physical game disc you can sell the disc you cant do that with a digital game

• junkyhead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In 2018 it should be possible to play a game without the constant noise of a spinning disc and without changing discs every time you want to play a new game...

• Warshell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it so when the disk is installed it's registered to that Xbox. It it's installed on a second Xbox the registration moves to the second Xbox and it can no longer be played on the original one.

If you are offline and want to play the game it will ask for the disk, if you are online it will check your Xbox against the registration if it matches you can play without the disk.

If you want to sell the disk fine, it will register to the person you've sold it to and you can no longer play it on the original Xbox.

• sisterraymond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about a system where the disc has one authorized system at a time, but the disc isn't rendered totally unplayable by the authorization? If that makes people feel better. I feel like the amount of people who would authorize and then just sell the game would be really low. Anyway, I can rip my audio CDs as much as I want and they're still sitting up on my shelf—why not a game?

• HitRecordMc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Call of Duty WWII & Black Ops II are doing this for some reason they install via disk and then no longer require it

• X PulseReaper X commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just make it so you have to put the disc in once a month or so to prove you still have ownership of it.

• YTRebel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be hard to do since they would need to register each disk to an account so it wouldn't be shared to other consoles. This would also make the market of used games very confusing and difficult. The current system is the most simple way to prevent piracy.

• Th3rMaLm3LtDoWn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft can not do this due to the fact that unlawful piracy would raise exponentially. This would result in a high increase in the overall price of the games.

• mattiiboy09 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft said that all games are installed to the Xbox One's hard drive to play; you won't have to insert the disc to run the game after that initial process. Microsoft has said that a fee will be charged for any game disc to be tied to a second Xbox Live account after its initial installation. this is what was said by microsoft when the xbox one was to be released

• choppyseize commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an awesome feature. I have wished for this many times. They would have to figure out a way to keep it licensed to you however. It could be easily transferred if not.

• Flashbye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not even rocket science to give each disc it's own unique code and once installed and registered online (required to work) it can't be installed on another xbox until it is uninstalled and registered as uninstalled online
    There is one other simple answer to this issue Microsoft could cut the ridiculous high prices of digital downloads. Who in there right mind is going to pay £55 for a digital game download when you can buy the same game on disc brand new for £25.

• TheRogueWolf 01 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes!! I love buying disked games to put the cases on display! But I HATE that If I take my Xbox somewhere and forget the disk/s I cannot play that game. If you're worried about people giving the disk to their friends, have a id code for the disk and game. Which allows the game to be on ONE console/hdd/profile at any one time.

• Maurerk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't going to happen. How would they know that you didn't just give the disk to a friend after you installed it?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base