Find features and requested changes to the Home dashboard and settings

Play games digitally after installing from disc

I would love to play my games digitally after installing the game from a physical copy just because it would save more time switching between games and it would make up for the high memory usage when installing.

4,998 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AC3 EZIO AC3 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

280 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Samurai Steel x commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of my kids got this to work on one of my consoles with GTA V. We can play on that console without the disk in there. I have no idea how it was done and can't stay on hold for 20-30 mins right now with support to find out how. If I get anything I'll let you know.

• LittlepimpJON82 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My eso game does just this every now and then just the other day I was playing eso with cod ww2 disk in. And no I have never bought eso digitally only on the disk. All I'm saying is you know they can do it but they just want more money

• Deaths Grasp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea I've always wanted this to happen since my black ops 3 does it on its own for whatever reason

• SuicidalLemon37 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What should happen is that instead of discs being sold at game stores, game codes should be put in the box and then you can go home and redeem that on the online store.

• iiCominAtYou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the disc inside the console is mandatory because it acts as a proof of ownership, so you can't sell the disc to GameStop and keep the digital copy of the game.

• ALMIGHTY JE5U5 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah this is a must but then the same time it’s also bad because you can buy a disk, install and then trade it in so something is needed to prevent this!

I love the idea because I’ve had a few problems with some disks not working and I have to move the Xbox slightly or keep ejecting the disk to work, so now I bought the game digitally but some games are so much cheaper on disk and it be great for this feature

• TheAmishBandit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only game I own on disc is Fallout 4 because I got the pip-boy edition and after over two years lost the disc. Welp, I’m hosed and have to buy the game again to play it. At least discount the game if you have literally thousands of hours on the game. What more proof do you need? Unforgivable.

• street2234 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

that was gonna be a feature of xbox but everybody complain about the need of having the console connected to internet 24/7

• Cpt Kent James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xbox do this if you buy the game from the store, then use a disc to DL the game.

there is a good and obvious reason they don't let you do this with just the physical game disc you can sell the disc you cant do that with a digital game

• junkyhead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In 2018 it should be possible to play a game without the constant noise of a spinning disc and without changing discs every time you want to play a new game...

• Warshell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it so when the disk is installed it's registered to that Xbox. It it's installed on a second Xbox the registration moves to the second Xbox and it can no longer be played on the original one.

If you are offline and want to play the game it will ask for the disk, if you are online it will check your Xbox against the registration if it matches you can play without the disk.

If you want to sell the disk fine, it will register to the person you've sold it to and you can no longer play it on the original Xbox.

• sisterraymond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about a system where the disc has one authorized system at a time, but the disc isn't rendered totally unplayable by the authorization? If that makes people feel better. I feel like the amount of people who would authorize and then just sell the game would be really low. Anyway, I can rip my audio CDs as much as I want and they're still sitting up on my shelf—why not a game?

• HitRecordMc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Call of Duty WWII & Black Ops II are doing this for some reason they install via disk and then no longer require it

• X PulseReaper X commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just make it so you have to put the disc in once a month or so to prove you still have ownership of it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base