Find features and requested changes to the Home dashboard and settings

Play games digitally after installing from disc

I would love to play my games digitally after installing the game from a physical copy just because it would save more time switching between games and it would make up for the high memory usage when installing.

4,607 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AC3 EZIO AC3 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

264 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • YTRebel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be hard to do since they would need to register each disk to an account so it wouldn't be shared to other consoles. This would also make the market of used games very confusing and difficult. The current system is the most simple way to prevent piracy.

• Th3rMaLm3LtDoWn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft can not do this due to the fact that unlawful piracy would raise exponentially. This would result in a high increase in the overall price of the games.

• mattiiboy09 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft said that all games are installed to the Xbox One's hard drive to play; you won't have to insert the disc to run the game after that initial process. Microsoft has said that a fee will be charged for any game disc to be tied to a second Xbox Live account after its initial installation. this is what was said by microsoft when the xbox one was to be released

• choppyseize commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an awesome feature. I have wished for this many times. They would have to figure out a way to keep it licensed to you however. It could be easily transferred if not.

• Flashbye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not even rocket science to give each disc it's own unique code and once installed and registered online (required to work) it can't be installed on another xbox until it is uninstalled and registered as uninstalled online
    There is one other simple answer to this issue Microsoft could cut the ridiculous high prices of digital downloads. Who in there right mind is going to pay £55 for a digital game download when you can buy the same game on disc brand new for £25.

• TheRogueWolf 01 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes!! I love buying disked games to put the cases on display! But I HATE that If I take my Xbox somewhere and forget the disk/s I cannot play that game. If you're worried about people giving the disk to their friends, have a id code for the disk and game. Which allows the game to be on ONE console/hdd/profile at any one time.

• Maurerk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't going to happen. How would they know that you didn't just give the disk to a friend after you installed it?

• Mast3rBerserker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would then also allow us to continue playing a lot of our games (if you buy them all on disk like me) while we download the new one Rather then one that we got off the market , free with gold ,ea access, Xbox game pass etc. I would much rather be playing halo 5 (which came with my console on a disk) then let's say roblox or paladins. And it can't be that hard come on playstation made it so you can share games with your friends so you can play together. Were just asking for the option not to have to put the disk back in

• Hojjoj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the fact that people are basicly re-inventing the same system Microsoft proposed when they first revealed the xbox. This is not common anymore but the first games shipped with extra content had this packaged with a flyer that had a QR code that you simple could wave in front of the Kinect camera . This was probably the same method they would have used as a cdkey (which also could be entered manually), and they also said you could de-register it allowing another person to loan the game or when you sold it. But internet went all hatey and made Microsoft do it the way it is today. For people trying to come up with nifty ideas how Microsoft could solve this problem: they already did and the loudest voices on the internet was against it.

• o0 Gringoire 0o commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely hate discs, but got 3 games (on disc) with my new xbox one S. Would love to install the games and be able to put the disc somewhere and forget about them

• RMF666 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cant they make it to only be able to upload on one device that way your friend cant use it on his device something like how the game codes work.

• ETH4N1705 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the reason you cant play games digitally after installing is to make sure you still own a copy of the game, otherwise you could give it to your friend after installing and let him install it etc. i dont think that there is a way around it :)

• SlushyIce607356 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They should create a digital fingerprint reader on the controller and modify the accounts to create a family or household account with allowing five family members then validate the digital buy with the household prints. Even allowing a friend to borrow the game with a 24 hr one time play with their print per copy of game with an option of a paid extension or buy afterwards.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base