Find features and requested changes to the Home dashboard and settings

Play Music From Apps Without Snap (Background Music)

[Mod Edit: The original title, "Xbox Music" has been updated to better reflect the idea that Audio from a snapped app should be able to continue playing even after the app has been unsapped ]

Allow us to unsnap Xbox Music and music to continually play in the background. It is cumbersome to want to play a game at full screen and having to deal with the snapped version of Xbox Music on the right side.

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with similar ideas posted by Hibiscus Wolf, JC and JC, iLeeMurr, ThankOurTroops, jon abruzi, howster34, lt smooth420, Jedi dojomaster, Alexandre7Jr, NEW M0N3Y, kevboard, Qure Paniic, MrStilwater and omitomm who also suggested using personal music collections and the media player app. Thanks, everyone!]

25,314 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

iMikeZeroiMikeZero shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  Mister Retr0AdminMister Retr0 (Feedback Admin, Xbox) responded  · 

The 2016 Xbox One Summer Update brings us Background Music on your console! Apps are now being released or updated to support this feature. Groove, the Simple Background Music Player and Cast now all support the ability to play music or podcasts in the background on your Xbox One consoles. Additional apps will support this functionality as they either update their existing apps to be UWP applications or ship brand new apps via the store.

2888 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • StoneyS4squatchStoneyS4squatch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did they give up on this? When I open a game, Groove stops playing. Saying this task is complete seems like BS...

• ACE OF TUNESACE OF TUNES commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Groove is garbage. Let us play our own music from our own computers/servers/whatever else we have in our house in the background without snapping. We also need a better option for browsing that. Or at least let us upload our own music onto the Xbox.

• Maiden Ty OneMaiden Ty One commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Deemonch - Also, the standard free storage on OneDrive is 5gbs. You are evidently paying for some sort of package that includes an extra 10gbs of OneDrive space, and you're arrogantly assuming like the *** *** you are that everyone else is on the same deal.

Go *** your mother.

Un-fvcking-believable. 5 months. 5 GOD DAMN MONTHS and still nothing but Microsoft's lies. I am beyond disgusted with this shlt.

@Deemonch - *** you. 15gb might be 'plenty of space' for you but some of us have over 40gb of music, so take your patronizing defence of Microsoft's disgusting antics and shove it up your ***.

• DeemonchDeemonch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You don't need groove pass at all. Just put music in your one drive folder I get 15gb free storage so plenty of space and background play with no groove pass

• AngryMosquito41AngryMosquito41 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do have the Simple Background Music Player. BUT it doesnt play in the background while streaming on Twitch. It crashes or force closes altogether when you open the Twitch app. We need an app that will play background music while streaming. Maybe this can be made into a dropdown menu within the Twitch app itself while its snapped for easy access.
    The Xbox One is supposed to be an all in one console. Yet you cannot stream on twitch while playing background music unless you are using a computer.

• Jon9678Jon9678 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not completed!!! I still can't play background music without a Groove pass!! What happened to being able to do this over the network from a NAS or DLNA or a media PC or by loading music from CD's on the local drive/external drive??All of which we could do on the 360 and it actually muted during cut-scenes and worked PERFECTLY...what a concept!! Why are you forcing us into yet another subscription based service? At least give us some more options other than Groove, like Spotify, Slacker, TuneIn Radio, Google Music etc. Pandora is not available in Canada incase you weren't aware. That terrible Background Music Player app cannot seriously be the only answer, it doesn't even allow more than 200 tracks. What a joke. Why can't you allow the Media Player app to do background music?? I guess 'cause there won't be any extra recurring revenue in it for you if you did that. Can't believe this garbage. Smarten up Microsoft before you start losing your loyal fan base!!

1 Month, 27 days, and still nothing. I have FVCKING had enough! Microsoft and the moderators here, you people are nothing but lying sacks of shlt.

• MaudibArachisMaudibArachis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

XboxTeam@Microsoft

You have not completed the job yet. Background music is not complete until there is a native MS developed app that can handle the background music.

Please develop a better media player solution that will allow local storage of music, DLNA Streaming to background, and background CD audio.

Re-implement the 360's custom sound track feature and push it out to developers, they can use it going forward, and they can update their catalogue of games already released to take advantage of the feature. We need cut scenes to mute the music, and the convenience of not having to adjust (sometimes difficult to find) sound settings for each games so that we can enjoy the background music feature seamlessly, JUST AS WE DID ON THE 360!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For cryin' out loud GET THIS DONE ALREADY, IT's ALL WE EVER WANTED IN THE 1ST PLACE!!!!!!!

This feature is HALF BAKED, REEKS OF LAZINESS, AND IS EXTREMELY UNIMAGINATIVE!!

The only "SUPRISE" with the release of this feature is that now I realize how spiteful a corporation can be towards it's loyal customers. You did this on purpose.. I can sense the snark, it's time put some real effort into this feature, less loose what remaining loyal customers you have over it. FOR GOOD!!!!

• LuckEmooseLuckEmoose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get rid of that garbage Groove Music app for xbox one, and bring back the Xbox Music app that let you stream music from other devices (phones) like the 360 still does. All in one console my butt. I don't see why you replace an app like Xbox Music with an app that charges you a monthly subscription on top of their gold account. An app that you get better content from YouTube.

1 month and 10 days and STILL nothing has been done about this. And STILL Mister Retr0 doesn't respond to anyone's messages about the fact they are blatantly lying to us about this feature being 'COMPLETED'.

Go *** yourself, Microsoft.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 144 145

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base