Find features and requested changes to the Home dashboard and settings

Press instead of hold Home button to accept notifications

When I get a notification I have the option to accept by holding the HOME button. This more often than not results in wanting to turn off the system or go home. The addition of saying "Xbox Launch" works well but holding doesn't. Maybe a double tap or something.

2,832 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Scrtch shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

61 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mattiiij commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not a good idea, for example if you what to press the home button to go to the home screen and you get a notification of someone is online or someone what's you to join their party and you press the home button at the same time it can get annoying as you will get taken to someone's profile or accidentally join someone's party when you didn't want to.

• Antisplat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Back in the early days this was a problem since holding the home button didn't vibrate, however now when I get an invite I hold the home button until it vibrates which accepts without trying to turn the console off, so really it's down to the person pressing the button (I used to hold the home button for too long as well before it started vibrating).

• HitManKarl98 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

tap xbox button not other way around cause holding turns off console and accepts notification.

• HitManKarl98 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

tap xbox button not other way around cause holding turns off console and accepts notification.

• MasterkillerX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only when a message notification pops up on screen, instead of having to hold or double-tap the Xbox button, make it one tap to open.

• Noosebumps commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the X360, whenever someone sent me a message, played a game I set a beacon for etc. etc., I wouldn't be able to open my guide until after it's all done. This was especially worse when someone spammed you with invites or with messages. The current setup is the perfect solution to that problem and I'm glad we have it. I'm going to be using the Xbox home screen a lot, so I need to be able to press the home button for quick access - I won't be turning my controller off a bunch, so I could do without this idea. Where's the option to delete game/movie recommendation history? I care more about that than I do this.

• xDroolingZombie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a useless idea. Don't waste everyone's time when there are real problems out there. Like a lack of system link for instance. Stupid Xbox one

• BoogieBean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, I don't like this idea at all. This was one of the flaws of the 360. Please don't add this, Microsoft.

• JCHustle022 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea, but I think I have a great alternative solution for this problem.

Imagine seeing all of your notifications with long press (along with a bunch of other quick features).

That way if you get a notification pop up and you are busy or not ready for it, you can do a long press at anytime and see a quick list of all of your last notifications (along with other quick features - power off, quick chat, music controls, etc.).
    It would look similar to the 360 mini guide menu pop up, with little tabs for different quick buttons, like notifications tab, power tab, chat tab, music tab.

If like my idea or want to read the full version please click below. Please +1 and leave comments on ways to improve my idea if you like it. Thanks

- Long press Xbox home button should do more: http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251646-apps/suggestions/6910803-long-press-xbox-home-button-should-do-more

• Adam of 360 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, don't do this. They changed this for the 360. It's more annoying when someone comes online and I press the home button at the same times and it takes me to their profile.

• HoubouDatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, it should be press for notifications and hold for "turn off console" or "turn off controller".

• XcentriK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know how to fix it... but I don't like it the way it is either. I'm usually not ready when I get an invite... or I want to reply with a message using my phone smartglass. Find out more about who I'm accepting an invite from... or finish my current game and tell them I'll be available in 5 minutes... In those cases... For example... Destiny. Someone I've played with before invites me... but I'm on some planet and I'm almost done... I have 5 minutes left.... I want to join Voice to tell them I'm almost ready, but I'm NOT ready to join the fireteam yet. Make Sense?

• KILLERBEENL83 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@dukeofponce and developers... For someone saying the "xbox launch" not working is actually the same issue. As described by me in my in the previous post. As soon as voice input is detected it has to hold the notification until the voice input has ended. Then it doesn't miss the voice input to the notification rather then to the dashboard. The dashboard doesn't expect a xbox launch command while the notification is. But in the meanwhile has disappeared.

Coding example [While notification is on screen] If "voice input is detected" do reset time for notification display time.. (giving the notification part of the system the time to get if it is needed to get the xbox launch command.) else remove notification from screen, would be obvious.

• KILLERBEENL83 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with this feature is that it registers the button long press on the release part of the long button press. So it is possible to start the long press and then the notification disappears. This gives the command to the system when releasing the button rather then it is supposed to give it to the notification. While the notification should actually wait on screen as soon as the press is detected waiting for a long or short press. This would solve the issue going to the turn off xbox screen. It is kind of a programming error. While voice input is kinda instant. The long press time is something long and the notification stays on short so it just has to wait on xbox button release. That is all they need to fix.

A simplified coding example to fix the issue would be. [While notification is on screen] "If home button is pressed" do reset time for notification display time.. (this would give the system the time to detect the release within the notification being active) it is one line of code. That needs to be implemented. Maybe two (to hold the system to go home while press is detected whitout being released in the time notification is shown).

← Previous 1 3 4

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base