Find features and requested changes to the Home dashboard and settings

Background Music done PROPERLY

Since this website and Microsoft in general are acting like this feature is done, completed and implemented to a satisfactory level, and it seems they are either blissfully unaware of just what a *** poor job they've done or are simply trying to bury the fact that they have, I am going to start a new 'Suggestion' page for this feature, because this feature is NOT here and it is NOT "Completed" as the moderators have so arrogantly declared it.

In case you're confused as to what 'PROPERLY' means, let me spell it out for you - streaming off USB with NO limit on the amount of songs (200 is a *** joke), organize songs into album/artist or folders, and here's an idea, how about it automatically mutes the in-game music when we activate it...

...you know, basically how the *** thing worked on Xbox 360? The One's PREDECESSOR? Which so far manages to perform more features than the One and performs the features the One has BETTER?

How about you make this console's 'background music' feature match the quality of its predecessor's? That should be a common sense no brainer but as we've seen from the last few weeks, Microsoft indeed do not possess any brains...

In case you hadn't figured out, being required to use Groove, your subscription based streaming service to listen to 'Background Music' while gaming is NOT ok. It would be bad enough even if you offered the service for free, but expecting us to PAY for the privilege of listening to OUR OWN *** MUSIC?!

OneDrive is NOT a valid 'solution' as A) it only offers 10GBs of storage, useless to someone like me who has over 40GBs of music, and B) it still requires us to STREAM our own music from your servers over the internet, relying on your service, our own internet connection and eating into our bandwidth - when the music we own is right here on hard drives in front of us.

It's obvious that installing music onto the Xbox One's own hard drive like the 360 could is a lost cause - you obviously have no intention on granting us that very basic feature, but trying to coerce us all into forking out yet MORE cash for your subscription based services for a feature like 'Background Music' is absolutely, categorically, unequivocally disgusting on every level.

You are taking the ***, Microsoft, and we can all see it. Give us what we want - give us what you PROMISED - right now, or go *** yourselves and we'll opt for PS4 instead.

P.S and if any of you moderators even think of 'merging' this with the other Background Music thread - the one that is incorrectly marked as 'completed', I'll simply submit this one again, and again, and again, until someone at Microsoft's office of clowns finally gets the message.

291 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Maiden Ty One shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • faceplant 2K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100%. Now that Groove is going away, how am I supposed to play my own music as background music? 200 songs at a time through a thumb drive? All the while my 360 can play all 65 gigabytes of music, shuffled, over dlna. Nice "upgrade" Microsoft!!!

• TheOGKitten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly surprised they haven't taken this down. They've done so much work to try and cover up the fact that they haven't finished the background play, and frankly aren't even close to finishing it. One would think it would be easier to just implement what we all want instead of leaving the community in a very angry state as you have displayed. But what do I know? After all I'm just someone who uses this unfinished console everyday.

• X HGDC84 X commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think they should allow us to use Media Player completely on the background, not just with the "Snap" function - I want to both play fullscreen and listen to my music streamed from my own computer, just as it was possible to do on Xbox 360.

• Maiden Ty One commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Saul - You could have stopped with "You make good points" - I'd have appreciated it. ;)

Dismissing strong and appropriately assailing criticisms of someone or something as "childish and immature" is the tactic of someone who has nothing else to rebut with. Responding to someone's argument by attacking the language they used to make the argument, however vulgar, as "pathetic", instead of addressing the argument itself is itself a pathetic attempt at evading the issue whilst attempting to place yourself above your opponent on some kind of intellectual and "mature" high ground. But it's as transparent as glass.

Lastly, the association of 'vulgar' language with 'immaturity' (and the implication that it somehow renders an argument 'invalid') is outdated, flawed, and nearly always only expressed by pretentious people. It's actually not 'immature' to use colourful language, at least not when the situation warrants it.

So go *** your mother.

• Saul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You make good points, but the fact you made them in such a childish and immature way is pathetic. Grow up.

• MalumVincendum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The more I learn about this thing, the more I just want to return it and stick to my user-friendly and actually-functional ps4 - which can background stream music just fine from Spotify (an app Xbox desperately needs) and, I presume, other sources. This is kind of a joke, what they consider background music.

@Wicked Flies - Also, like the VLC app, Duplex hardly ever works, constantly crashes and breaks down and is an otherwise absolutely useless PoS. Stop defending Microsoft.

@Wicked Flies - You forgot to add that it costs £11. YOU might be ok with handing over money for a feature that was promised as being free, but those of us with brains in our fvcking skulls are not. 0o

@U4ERALL - Because they're dishonest pieces of shlt who know perfectly well what they're doing but hope if they ignore the complaints they will eventually 'go away'.

• SubduedMouse6 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had to come here just to say: THANK YOU!
    Finally someone who's not sucking microsoft's D.
    They promise you the world and after you pay, they screw you.

While we are at it, what the *uck happend with the option to turn off vibration?
    To play Ryse, I had to take the controller apart and cut off the wires for the rumblers.
    It seems adding new icons for the rar achievemetns is more important than providing basic features to MS.

• Stoned Flies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's an app in the Xbox store called duplex media player +. Does everything your asking for. Streams, video, audio from dnla. You can play videos from YouTube, twitch all that. I haven't tried the stream from usb yet but it says it can do that. It's called "Duplex media player +"

• Jon9678 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not completed!!! I still can't play background music without a Groove pass!! What happened to being able to do this over the network from a NAS or DLNA or a media PC or by loading music from CD's on the local drive/external drive??All of which we could do on the 360 and it actually muted during cut-scenes and worked PERFECTLY...what a concept!! Why are you forcing us into yet another subscription based service? At least give us some more options other than Groove, like Spotify, Slacker, TuneIn Radio, Google Music etc. Pandora is not available in Canada incase you weren't aware. That terrible Background Music Player app cannot seriously be the only answer, it doesn't even allow more than 200 tracks. What a joke. Why can't you allow the Media Player app to do background music?? I guess 'cause there won't be any extra recurring revenue in it for you if you did that. Can't believe this garbage. Smarten up Microsoft before you start losing your loyal fan base!!

• PSYCHOROID commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as i am concerned i gave up with the Groove+Onedrive combo.
    Onedrive refuses to upload my music (my xboxone even says my onedrive is empty -sic- despites all my efforts to sync both the app and my console)
    so.... i i am using Simple Background Music but i am a bit annoyed by the 200 songs limitation so i can only say "yes" to the op of this suggestion...

@BiassedCash8415 - EVERYTHING is gone on the One. Every single great feature of the Xbox 360 is either completely absent on the Xbox One, or it's implemented in an infinitely shlttier way.

The only thing that's actually 'better' on the Xbox One compared to the Xbox 360 is the graphics - and even that's not as impressive as it should be.

The Xbox One is a fvcking joke of a console. If Xbox didn't have such great exclusives there would be literally NO reason to own one.

← Previous 1

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base