Find ideas and requested changes for Xbox websites

Allow the purchase of free Xbox 360 games without the use of a credit card on xbox.com

They have done so possible with Xbox One, what about Xbox 360? Why do I need a credit card to make free purchases? It doesn't make any sense.

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with a similar idea from Fl0ydPinkert0n. Thanks everyone!]

1,560 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

levyjl1988 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

107 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • WeepySaucer9404 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the free products, I would have to agree about having no CC on file but I have been noticing that with the Games With Gold, it has always been asking me for a CC even though it's "free".

Here's an idea for those who don't have a credit card and don't want to get one just for the free stuff or because its your child's account or whatever, get like a $20/$25 or if there is a cheaper amount prepaid credit card from just about anywhere and add it your account. There at least you would have something there and if it makes you feel any better, spend all of it except for about 0.05-0.10 of it and then add it to your account. This is good if you ever get a prepaid credit card for your birthday or holidays and you spend all of it except for a few cents of it and then just add it to the account and then you can just throw it away since you won't use it especially with it having a few cents on it and you have a CC on file since Microsoft is so keen on having one on file.

• the ender5teve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This also goes for anyone trying to purchase a 360 game with a gift card. I can't buy Doom 1 or 2 because my 360 just got the Red Ring of Death, and I don't use credit cards

• ZatanLovesGod15 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So *** annoying indeed. And the worst part is that they excuse themselves by saying that is because you get to own the game forever, unlike the Xbox One gold games that are playable only with an active gold sub, but the *** annoying thing is that before you didn't need this, and more importantly, some of the free Xbox 360 games even though they are retail they can still be downloaded without this annoying credit card requirement.
    I'm honestly really tired of this, Microsoft can keep their *** policies if they want, but they have lost me entirely as a user of their products.
    Go fuckyourself Microsoft, sincerely yours, the whole *** world.

• ObamaSucks99999 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this is so insane. I will not be purchasing content on xbox until this get's changed. If they are going to force my son to have a CC on file then he will not be buying ANYTHING as I will not be adding it to satisfy this unneeded criteria. The fact that he has to have one associated to his account makes it so that I will absolutely NOT be adding a credit card.

• Thijmir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In holland we never use creditcards so i dont have any. I contacted xbox snd they said ...then link paypal. .. but i needed a paypal acount with a added creditcard for it to work on xbox ...sooo pretty plzz with tons of sugar on top fix this.

Help us xbox you are our only hope

• snikefriend commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@kolea1984 You can't. PayPal is not supported by Xbox Live on all regions. In my region, PayPal is supported as a service but Xbox Live won't accept it as a payment option! So it's really ridiculous that I buy a gift card and I can use it on Windows 10, 8.1, on Windows Phones, on Xbox One and Microsoft won't let me use it on my 360! This is really a slap in the face from Microsoft. They also stopped producing Xbox 360 so if the one you got breaks or if you don't have one well f* you, you can't have the deals! And NO, inputting my personal info violently is not a solution, even if it is a prepaid card or whatever.

• snake34T3R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the point of having backward compatibility if you restrict its purchase to credit card only while Xbox one games can be purchased with credit card and gift cards, it's so easy to buy anything on psn with psn gift cards. So disappointed with my Xbox one s purchase as I love Xbox one games but I miss my 360 games.

• SpaceMonkey1232 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely stupid situation, I don't want my kids account to have a CC associated with it so now he cannot get the FREE 360 content!!

Come MS wake up to this stupidity.

• dbwtr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the idea behind it is to insure individual under 18 are not spending money since they are not legally allowed to enter contracts

• SaikouDaze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ms please fix this there is alot of good games i have missed.. ! Because of this problem .. actually i didn't renew my gold membership because of this problem i really hope that you can do something about it.

• Devil Ownpag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on people make microsoft push this idea forward, there is no excuse for this to be a thing, if they could do it for the xbox one, why can't they do it for the 360 as well? also PSN doesn't require anything such as a credit card to get free games, and why would you need a credit card to get a free game in the first place? i call this BS, thei're tricking us, open you eyes people, you have been warned!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base