Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

Not Allowing To Rate Games You Don't Have

You shouldn't be able to rate games that you do not have, this includes games that haven't been released yet. The iPhone does this and it's for a good cause, otherwise the rating system unreliable.

1,653 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Trenix90 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Lyzyrd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fix should have been to not allow rating a game unless you PLAY it. How can you rate a game that you PRE-ORDER??? You do not even have the game to play, so how can you rate it?

• Xerota commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wanted to rate some games I had but it wouldn't let me because I had them as discs and not digital.

• Riekopo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why should you be able to review a game if you pre-order it? That means it's not even out yet and you haven't played it. That doesn't make sense.

• Procrastus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think owning the game is too high of a bar for review, I feel a better solution is to only allow people who have played the game be allowed to review it.

• AIR IK BREATHES commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with you on this. Google Play does it! And if Microsoft does it for the Window's Store then the should do it for the Xbox Marketplace, AKA Xbox Store. If I was a developer and saw I had low ratings when the game hasn't even been released yet I would be mad. The developers mess up their eye's so we can mess our eyes up, they don't need to see bad reviews when a game isn't even out on beta, demo, or the full version. This is doing it for to MICROSOFT game developers to. I would protest if I was working for Microsoft Studios.

• SWANLEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep game ratings are pretty useless, Reviews should only be done after launch by confirmed buyers.

• Andr007WR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree completely here. How can someone give a high (or low) rating to a game that isn't out yet or they haven't played. And letting people utilize the honor system will be abused.

• BKM JPN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agreed.
    Ratings after playing or ratings without playing, which is helpful for you? An easy question, isn't it?

• GypsyMic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, I feel like unless we've owned the game and have actually played it. We shouldn't be the judges of a product without first trying it.

• Austacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed completely. This is what undermines the integrity and legitimacy of other rating sites where it's a free for all. You will get the inevitable trolls and platform fanboys come and cast votes to try and game the system.

• Pvvnsaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With services like Twitch, or just going to a friends house that has a different game library, it stands to reason that one doesn't need to own (or have) a game in order to give it a fair rating. One of the other comments mentioned disabling ratings before the game in question is released; and I think that would be an appropriate middle ground.

Additionally, it would be nice to be able to review games like in the Steam model (specifically, the ability to actually type out a review), just going off a general "star" rating is next to not having a rating at all.

• koobiii commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why are people able to rate games in Xbox One Store before they actually come out? I think rating games in Store should be disabled until the game is released.

• Dee Cazo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Players who've never played a game shouldnt be able to dictate if it's a good or bad game.

Plus, they can add a category for HIGHEST RATED games, and let users discover new games that are rated highly by the community that they might've missed otherwise.

• Xonatron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Strong disagree. Do not make gamers buy a (bad) game to rate it (low). Let people rate games whenever and however they want. Good games survive this freedom on expression.

• Bazajaytee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, always seemed odd that Microsoft allows ratings by anyone.
    You should be required to own it or have played it on your account before you can give a game or DLC content a rating.

← Previous 1

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base