Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

Why does my money expire? Why can't I spend money online?

I have $12.50 in my XBL account right now and I recently got an email saying that money expires June 1st.

First off, the idea that money can expire is preposterous. There are already consumer protection laws in place in most states that prevent gift cards from expiring or decaying over time. I can't help but think that this sort of thing is just barely on the fringe of that, where consumer protection laws are inevitable but simply haven't happened yet.

Second, I can't spend that money online. My 360 is broken and I planned to spend it on a game some friends of mine developed so that the money wouldn't be wasted, but alas I cannot. Under the guise of "security reasons" I can only spend my account balance by signing in to an Xbox.

These policies seem ludicrous and directly hostile to the consumer. They need to change. Let me spend the money that I have already spent and let me spend it where and how I'd like to spend it. It is my money and I should be able to do what I want with it.

1,416 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SunlitRhombus81 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Pillywinker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, anything you pay for does not expire. If you buy a 12 month code, or a $50 gift card - it will stay on there for a hundred years and more.
    What does expire is promotional currency. The reason it expires is so they can delete the records that take up server space after a certain point. They give you over a year to use this currency, and after that it costs them money to keep those records on hand.
    No expiration for things you're actually buying though,

• TimelyBATMAN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok first of all any kind of brand money should not have an expiration date whatsoever we as xbox fanatics should not have to worry about our Microsoft money expiring so please remove the experation date on all Xbox live cards come on Microsoft you should no better then this

• Shay Dee Man commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any kind of promo card you may have won at an event or as part of a promotion, or cash that was converted over from the old XBox Points system ("promotional credit") may expire as it wasn't something you spent money on yourself.

Money you actually put on your account does not expire.

Please see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10626/microsoft-account-why-some-money-expires --

"Any money in your Microsoft account not from a promotional gift card is “non-promotional” and has no expiration date. But if you don’t use your account for a prolonged period of time, the law may require us to consider it abandoned and to transfer any funds to the appropriate government authority. "

• VeiledFiddle682 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well if they "expire" your Xbox live money then you should expire your Xbox live subscription. See how quickly they fix that....Go to ps4. They treat you like family over there.

• and d miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totaly agree with this the consumer and money / payment options need to be updated . Sunlitrhombus is right this has stopd me using xbox store for anything unhless its a penny 4 penny transaction where its exact cost only !

• Chakaal Starr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can buy stuff xbox.com if you don't have access to your console. If you have gold, you can also grab games for gold there as well.

• Cpt Kent James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any money gifted by Microsoft via xbox rewards has a use by same as points in some shops, this is the text on the back of Game.uk gift card. The gift card will expire and any remaining balance will be removed after 24 consecutive months of no use, gifted cash on yore Microsoft account uses the same rules.

• PilotViper112 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My money I put in has no time limit it's been there for months. I've also never recived any emails about time running out, like others have stated must be from Microsoft rewards.

• KillerKG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This money you have that is expiring sounds like it was promotional cash or rewards of some kind. If you loaded real currency into your account, that never expires. And if your 360 is broken then how were you planning on playing your friends game? And you are told when you get the reward cash that it will expire in 1 yr if you do not use it. So that means you had a whole year to do something with this $12.50 (seriously... getting this mad over $12 that was not real cash to begin with...), and yet you did nothing in that year to try and use it. And you can use this stuff online in the store page, you just need to do verification and when you go to purchase, use your MS account.

• aGundamDownHere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely second, third, and sixth the idea of letting us spend our account money online. We're already sharing our credit/debit card information, or our PayPal information, and all three of those pose more dire consequences if someone/-thing compromises Xbox.com security.

There are sales going on as I type this that I can't take advantage of because I don't have access to my 360 right now. Short of calling my friend and giving him my log-in info over the phone or by email, I'll probably miss out on the discounts MS has so excitedly advertised.

• Pman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft rewards money through the rewards program when you buy a bunch of game downloads. That expires. So spend spend spend! I use the extra to buy some Pinball tables in Pinball FX 2. Pretty soon, Rockband tracks!

• dedevel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But it still costs money. I have found that I have less purchases using my debit card instead of paying for prepaid cash cards through Xbox live. This ensures that money does not get wasted at all. Provides more control.

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base