Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

Digital Refunds

With the push to get people to buy more games digitally, there needs to be a way to get a refund. If I buy a game from a store and that game turns out to be "broken" or nowhere close to what was advertised, I can trade it back for store credit for pretty *** close to what I paid (for example with BF4 I took it back after 3 days and was given a full refund minus $3, one dollar for each day I had the game). Or I could sell it on ebay or trade it for something else.

But digital is just a leap of faith. Up until now I've been lucky and enjoying each digital purchase and loving the convenience or it. Then yesterday I shelled out $79.08 after tax for WWE 2K15. The game does not play as I saw it advertised, has basic features that should be safe to expect in any game today (like the ability to change gameplay options for each mode and alter difficulty).

I love buying digital, but there needs to be some type of consumer protection built in rather than a "too bad".

1,034 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RetropyroRetropyro shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

91 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ludaman64Ludaman64 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DIGITAL REFUNDS WORK!

So, i bought a game for the wrong platform...Friends wanted to use their controllers playing a game on PC versus on the XBOX...my mistake. Got a refund the next day after 30 seconds of instant messenger chatting under the premise I accidentally bought it on the store. Not sure if this will work as well for people who have bought and played a game before looking for the refund.

HOWTO:
    Login to account.microsoft.com
    navigate to billing section and find your purchase for your game
    click Get_Order_Help blue highlighted text immediately under the order number for your order
    click CHAT
    talk to person like a human
    GET refund with good customer service

Here's to hoping this means Microsoft customer service is getting better!

• DombineDombine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just bought the Assassins Creed Chronicles Trilogy from the Deals of The Week for £10. Though, I've just remembered i bought the physical copy of the trilogy a few months ago.
    I've just wasted £10 and I'd ideally like that back as I now have a Physical copy and the Digital.

• James RootJames Root commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, but this is another way that the gaming industry has got greedy to make more money that it was making, remember video stores when you could rent? and test a game , then decide , hey i wanna buy that to keep, but now they've even got a step further, eliminate demo's and video stores, and put digital copies, full price no refunds, i swear this industry is the definition of the word "greed".

• cmanxbox88cmanxbox88 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ya, I just bought Destiny, ($70) and just found out that if you had the 360 version, (which I did) you only had to pay $40, tried to figure out how to return it, and couldn't... Sad I wasted $30 when i didn't need to.

• SnaggySplash688SnaggySplash688 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One refund per year should be exceptable, i would even be happy if they gave me half my money back. I just recently bought assassins creed 2 and without knowing i went to look for Assassins Creed: Brotherhood but it turns out there is already a bundle involving those two and Assassins Creed: Revelations ....i wish i could get a refund for the single game so i could buy the bundle. But now if i buy the bundle i would be beat of $20 and have two Assassins Creed 2's.....please involve a refund system.

• BlindBrailleBlindBraille commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah the refund policy for Xbox is just a scam. One refund a year is ridiculous. They take advantage of us simply because there isn't any action we can take against them. I bought payday 2 on release, anyone who also bought it knows it was unplayable. The multi-player didn't work and there is no single player campaign. I asked for a refund and Ms told me that "it was a known issue and the developer is working on it so they wont issue a refund". Microsoft wouldn't give me a refund for a game i bought that I literally could not play. It's like buying a car with no engine and the dealer saying, "oh well". A year before that I had bought elder scrolls online. Same day, before it even finished installing my fiance bought me eso online ultimate edition, a hard copy with the "gold" collectors box the whole deal. I stopped installing eso digitally, called up ebook and explained the situation. They denied me twice (despite this being the first time I had ever asked for a digital refund in 10 years) and the third time the guy asked me to send him pictures of the game, the box, the disc and the recipt for proof of purchase. I told him "you want me to literally email you pictures of a game in order to get a refund, then I'm going to need you to send me pictures of your work id tag, your crappy little cubicle you work at and a picture of you shaking your managers hand so I know you really work at Xbox and are actually going to give me a refund ". Needless to say he didn't agree to that. I ended up speaking to his manager and getting the refund. But any store on the planet that sells a hard copy of a game will let you return that game if the box is sealed and you have a recipt.

I'm not asking to have them let me buy a game, beat it, and then give me a refund. Buyers remorse is not a legitimate reason for a return, if you didn't like the game oh well, do research next time, read reviews watch gameplay footage. But when you haven't even played the game or fully installed it or when the game is BROKEN there should be no question. Microsoft is frugal to a fault however and in the business of scamming its customers, steam is the apex of digital gaming and if every company took a que from them there woild be world peace. Basically Microsoft is responsible for all the death and everything in the world and despite the fact that I'm obviously joking they should still be heard accountable for their awful business practices.

• TEAM VR46TEAM VR46 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely this is covered by distance selling regulations which i believe gives u 7 days to change your mind maybe look into if it covers this

• v1rxv1rx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There really should exist some kind of refund program. I'm not going to ask as good as Steam has but let's say at least some advantage after being a long-term (5 years or more) Xbox Live user and 1 refund per year after couple hours of gameplay sounds reasonable to me (and no reason asked). Right now I'm trying to get a refund from a digital game and I failed 2 times. They only say, sorry this is our policy. Really annoying, money is spend but nothing to play (or possibility to change 1 game to another with similar price).

• v1rxv1rx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There really should exist some kind of refund program. I'm not going to ask as good as Steam has but let's say at least some advantage after being a long-term (5 years or more) Xbox Live user and 1 refund per year after couple hours of gameplay sounds reasonable to me (and no reason asked). Right now I'm trying to get a refund from a digital game and I failed 2 times. They only say, sorry this is our policy. Really annoying, money is spend but nothing to play (or possibility to change 1 game to another with similar price).

• bares697bares697 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think make some refund system with both sites fair conditions would be big step forward to Xbox players. Steam already done it, EA has a EA/Origin Access with 10 hours of free trials and it works. I think player should have right to refund bought game back in a first short time period - few hours of gameplay. It would be also a motivation for game producers to make games in good quality from release. This is one of the possible ways how to make Xbox and more interesting platform.

• GoldFireAuraGoldFireAura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we really need that Destiny/activision stole all my dlc, and those games they promised us very cool content and hype us with great trailers at E3 and false advertising they lie to us 4 money iam glad no man sky didnt make it to xb1 well we have no reasons to pre order games if they dont deliver the promises and we have no refunds! i wait for 50%-75% off sale because of those lie AAA games

• SONY IS 1SONY IS 1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 158 digital games on external drive I don't want any of them this sucks I could have sold them at game store and got a lot for them. Anyone want 158 games for 500 let me know their yours complete list will be given

• Coal E MoalCoal E Moal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just bought the new scorched earth expansion. I got to admit it was a mistake, a spur of the moment thing. I don't play ark that much but my friends do and I thought that I might get into it more if I bought it. After a few minutes I saw that the dlc didn't really give out much in terms of new. I understand that I have to live with my mistakes, but if there was a way to just have a 2 hour window to cancel that mistake I would be very pleased.

• highspeedfelonhighspeedfelon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Voted, but I think 2Hrs is a better time as it actually gives you a chance to try the game out 15mins would barely give you a chance you get through opening scenes. I think Ark gives a 10 hour trial to see if you like the game.

• SkunkBlunts420SkunkBlunts420 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be for any game whenever you want cause I have so many games I don't want, like star wars battlefront, dying light, battlefield hardline, and more but mainly cause the dl-44 used to be sick but then they lowered the firing rate then made so you can't jump pack or throw grenades while using the bubble shield so now the game is just pointless to play it's not even fun anymore and dying light is just lies they showed a whole different game in all their trailers so I got it then was like wtf is this, and battlefield hardline is just a dissapointment.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base