Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

Digital Refunds

With the push to get people to buy more games digitally, there needs to be a way to get a refund. If I buy a game from a store and that game turns out to be "broken" or nowhere close to what was advertised, I can trade it back for store credit for pretty *** close to what I paid (for example with BF4 I took it back after 3 days and was given a full refund minus $3, one dollar for each day I had the game). Or I could sell it on ebay or trade it for something else.

But digital is just a leap of faith. Up until now I've been lucky and enjoying each digital purchase and loving the convenience or it. Then yesterday I shelled out $79.08 after tax for WWE 2K15. The game does not play as I saw it advertised, has basic features that should be safe to expect in any game today (like the ability to change gameplay options for each mode and alter difficulty).

I love buying digital, but there needs to be some type of consumer protection built in rather than a "too bad".

1,289 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Retropyro shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

128 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • HyruleBalverine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed; it would be nice for an easier way to return a digital purchase (of course, there would have to be a time limit or some other restriction to prevent abuse).

• PsYcHoUKNas666 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is actually great IDEA cause once i have download them millions and millions games i have finished playing would love to get some refund from them if i stopped playing them ...

• Midnite Rider commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't fall for the Xbox scam, you spend thousands of dollars on their products, games, videos and movies and when things suddenly no longer work (Purchased digital content including TV shows, Music Videos, Movies, etc. no longer work because they have made changes to their UI and if you don't have proof from 14 years back to current date for absolutely every single little thing you have purchased they don't care, refuse to help you and accuse you of never having bought it from their store front. I have spent days trying to resolve my issue and they totally refuse to make my 16 GB of music videos, TV shows and movies to work because I can't pull receipts out of my *** from 10-14 years ago, and yet I have videos I have paid money for even as recently as 2011 and they don't even have ANY records. I say ***. They have records, I found somewhere where I could see purchases for games and add-ons, but low and behold when I try to load the page that shows my video purchases the page will only error out no matter what browser I use to try to view it. Bottom line is they will take your money and tell you to FO because you can't produce receipts from over 10 years ago that should be reflected in your on-line account. If I ever get money to buy a new console I will never ever buy another MS product and I suggest you follow me. I am not a tech novice by any means, My profession has been robotics and computers, I know my way around any tech. , they tell me to just download it over again but it is hard when they don't show any of the video content you download. I have never purchased and digital content from anywhere but the Xbox Store, this is how they treat a disabled vet and a 14 year long Live member. Just the fees for their service for 14 years should get them to help me, let alone the over 500 games and 6 or 7 consoles since the original Xbox came out. I am on a fixed income and a new console is not an option so I guess I will just have to consider I've thrown all my money away supporting Xbox and their consoles. Too bad Bill Gates can't see this but believe me I am copying this post in it's entirety and am going to spread it to every new station, paper and show, as well as the entire Tech community, the gaming community and everywhere else I can find to post this on the internet. You have *** the wrong person over Xbox. I am a disabled vet that was using this as therapy, Looks like PlayStation will get my support from now on, and I hope you look at how much I have spent since 2004 on your consoles, games and add-ons because you will not see that again from me and I will do all I can to inform ALL vets, and the entire tech community on the internet of this farce you run and the fact you refuse to help me. I even asked to speak to supervisors and was totally Ignored. That's how much they care. They don't care about you at all, all they want is your money.

Don't fall for the Xbox scam, you spend thousands of dollars on their products, games, videos and movies and when things suddenly no longer work (Purchased digital content including TV shows, Music Videos, Movies, etc. no longer work because they have made changes to their UI and if you don't have proof from 14 years back to current date for absolutely every single little thing you have purchased they don't care, refuse to help you and accuse you of never having bought it from their store front. I have spent days trying to resolve my issue and they totally refuse to make my 16 GB of music videos, TV shows and movies to work because I can't pull receipts out of my *** from 10-14 years ago, and yet I have videos I have paid money for even as recently as 2011 and they don't even have ANY records. I say ***. They have records, I found somewhere where I could see purchases for games and add-ons, but low and behold when I try to load the page that shows my video purchases the page will only error out no matter what browser I use to try to view it. Bottom line is they will take your money and tell you to FO because you can't produce receipts from over 10 years ago that should be reflected in your on-line account. If I ever get money to buy a new console I will never ever buy another MS product and I suggest you follow me. I am not a tech novice by any means, My profession has been robotics and computers, I know my way around any tech. , they tell me to just download it over again but it is hard when they don't show any of the video content you download. I have never purchased and digital content from anywhere but the Xbox Store, this is how they treat a disabled vet and a 14 year long Live member. Just the fees for their service for 14 years should get them to help me, let alone the over 500 games and 6 or 7 consoles since the original Xbox came out. I am on a fixed income and a new console is not an option so I guess I will just have to consider I've thrown all my money away supporting Xbox and their consoles. Too bad Bill Gates can't see this but believe me I am copying this post in it's entirety and am going to spread it to every new station, paper and show, as well as the entire Tech community, the gaming community and everywhere else I can find to post this on the internet. You have *** the wrong person over Xbox. I am a disabled vet that was using this as therapy, Looks like PlayStation will get my support from now on, and I hope you look at how much I have spent since 2004 on your consoles, games and add-ons because you will not see that again from me and I will do all I can to inform ALL vets, and the entire tech community on the internet of this farce you run and the fact you refuse to help me. I even asked to speak to supervisors and was totally Ignored. That's how much they care. They don't care about you at all, all they want is your money.

• SinfulJosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should be 2 hours max of play time (similar to what you get with the preview program games).

And there should be a limit on the number of refunds allowed similar to the Home Xbox limit (when you use up one of your allowed refunds... you get it back after a year kinda thing).

The amount of time after purchase you are allowed to request a refund would probably need to be tied to the amount of time it takes Microsoft to pay the game company after the purchase (like if Microsoft paid the games company 7 days after the initial transaction. then that would be the cut off...) however if Microsoft does not have any delay between the initial transaction and when the game company sees their money from that sale... then theres a huge logistical issue becasue you would have Microsoft taking funds back away from gamy companies for refunds.

Also the refund request should include a required quick survey as to why you are requesting a refund that can be used to by Microsoft and Game companies to improve games. (they would get statistics on refunds due to game not working... or poor quality.. or missing features... etc)

• Death by Mint commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't feel comfortable purchasing games digitally anymore, we should be able to return games, for people who buy disc they get to at least get some money back but we should be able to get refunds if we decide that we don't like the game within the first day of playing. Steam is a much better place to buy games than Xbox right now and that's a shame for people who only get to play Xbox. At least let us be able to sell back the digital games we have bought back to you for some money back.

• Azazel9088 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I ordered a repair service from MS for my broken xbox one console a while ago. It was the fisrt time I ever did anything like it so I wanted to know exactly what was gonna happen and how much I was gonna pay for the service. The console is in warranty but I'm out of region so there was a charge of 0.4 USD for the service. This was what they told me in MS chat support. I was suprised it was so cheap so I asked multiple times if this was really all I had to pay for the service. I asked if they were sure I don't have to pay more than it. Every single time the answer was clearly a yes. I even calculated the price in my country's currency and asked MS support to do the same just to make it sure. The result were the same again: I had to pay 0.4 USD (116 HUF) and nothing more at all. This made me agree to order the repair service so I sent the console to MS. Later I notice my bank account was charged for 148 USD(!) for the service instead of 0.4 USD. I was shocked. This is a lot of money where I live. I simply can't afford letting go of it like this. So I contacted MS immediately and ask for the reasons.
    Now here comes the twist of the story: They told me it was the taxation for getting the package to the US across borders. Like it was natural. I asked them why did they tell me multiple times it was gonna cost me 0.4 USD and nothing more if they knew I was gonna have to pay 148 USD for taxation. I had endless chats with MS support, a lot of emails and they kept repeating the same thing: The extra charge was because of border taxes. MS simply skipped the fact that they told me multiple times it was gonna cost me 0.4 USD and not a nickel more than it. I asked multiple times: "Really? Are you sure? Nothing more?" In all the conversations they acted like it wasn't a fact that they told me was not gonna cost me any extra money more that the 0.4 USD they told me about. They just kept repeating the same thing about taxes. I understand how taxes work. But why didn't they tell me the first time (or the second, or the third) about this? I clearly asked them if there was gonna be any extra charges and they clearly answered me with no every time. Then they charged me for 148 USD and they're not willing to pay me back at all they made it clear too while they kept telling me how important it is for them to help me... I even asked if they could show me to any official organization who can help me with the problem but they refused and told me it was something they couldn't do.

Can anyone help me or tell me who should I ask for help, please? :(

• Ludaman64 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DIGITAL REFUNDS WORK!

So, i bought a game for the wrong platform...Friends wanted to use their controllers playing a game on PC versus on the XBOX...my mistake. Got a refund the next day after 30 seconds of instant messenger chatting under the premise I accidentally bought it on the store. Not sure if this will work as well for people who have bought and played a game before looking for the refund.

HOWTO:
    Login to account.microsoft.com
    navigate to billing section and find your purchase for your game
    click Get_Order_Help blue highlighted text immediately under the order number for your order
    click CHAT
    talk to person like a human
    GET refund with good customer service

Here's to hoping this means Microsoft customer service is getting better!

• BatedMetal264 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Simple words, Buy back policy for Digital Downloads:

Return between:
    00 hrs to 24 Hrs - Full Refund
    24 hrs to 30 days - 75% Refund
    30 days to 06 mon - 50% Refund
    06 mon to 01 year - 25% Refund

This scheme may not be a unique concept. however this will certainly attract gamer to get hooked, complete the game and re-invest in a new one. This can earn back loyal gamers !

Well "IsaacJB1995" has clearly justified the need !

• Dombine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just bought the Assassins Creed Chronicles Trilogy from the Deals of The Week for £10. Though, I've just remembered i bought the physical copy of the trilogy a few months ago.
    I've just wasted £10 and I'd ideally like that back as I now have a Physical copy and the Digital.

• James Root commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, but this is another way that the gaming industry has got greedy to make more money that it was making, remember video stores when you could rent? and test a game , then decide , hey i wanna buy that to keep, but now they've even got a step further, eliminate demo's and video stores, and put digital copies, full price no refunds, i swear this industry is the definition of the word "greed".

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base