Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

Allow users to download Day One patches for games before we purchase game

Many future games, such as the Halo Chief Master Collection, require 20GB of day one patches to be installed before you can play the entire game. Many people don't have the internet speed to download that much data in a few hours. Plus, instead of enjoying the midnight release of the game, we have to wait for all the patches to be installed only when we insert the game.

To get around this, it would be easier to download the patches a head of time without having to insert a disc. This way, we have the patches on our Xbox even before we put in the disc for the first time.

Can we have the option of downloading patches to our Xbox One even if we haven't purchased the game yet?

1,757 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

PuffitlikePuffs shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bunie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do hate going out to buy a physical copy to avoid the large download, only to be required to download a patch almost as large as the game itself. Yooka Laylee, State of Decay, and -many- more Titles have patches equal to (or larger) than the actual disc install size, making the effort to buy physical pointless.

• mpjones2003 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, just because I don't want to pay the extra £10 to go digital doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to download the patch early. Especially with how bad the installation went with cod aw and ea golf. Would help reduce the load on your servers day one too.

• StEvEY5036 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm pretty sure the problem here is that you cannot download just the patch in advance, you need to have the entire game on your HDD already for it to be patched. So for this to be implemented, they would need to give people the ability to pre-load games without having to purchase them, which is a major long shot unless they change the architecture of how downloading games works.

• Firebird360 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, we've needed this for awhile. I hate getting a new game just to get home and be disappointed that I most likely won't be able to play it until the following day because the patch is huge and my Internet isn't the fastest.

• GodMagnus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Day one patches are more beneficial than you think. "
    He didn't say they weren't beneficial. He said he wants them sooner.

"2015 everyone should at least be running 30 megs Internet speed "
    Not everyone is privileged, and many places don't offer speeds anywhere near that high.

"I don't see why we should be allowed to download any content if we haven't paid for it yet"
    It's a patch. It's useless without the game. It's not like people will be able to play a few levels for free with a patch but no game. This request boils down to "let us play games the day we buy them."

• GiantBlueMidget commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This definitely needs to happen, my download speed is 20-30kbps on a good day, it took me nearly three weeks after launch to play MCC and I got it day one :(

• Kobra MR Murk1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Day one patches are more beneficial than you think. for one they reset the leaderboards to give everyone a fair shot a stats, because of all the people who have been playing games before the actual release date (example: gamestop employees) lol but really I see know problem you're gonna have to install the game anyway. plus it's 2015 everyone should at least be running 30 megs Internet speed mines is standard 60 megs from charter that's the lowest they offer so maybe it's time to upgrade. I'm just saying though.

• Bhutankam Pema commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Day One is Day One.. but mostly you can pre-downlad in Digital ways... so ...
    but I get what you want...

• DeSoto23 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I was going to post something similar. I like physical copies of games, but it sucks not being able to pre install them. Either the retailer shoul email us a code to download the patch OR make it publically availible for download when its ready but just have a requirement for the disc to unlock the full game.

• NewBlacksmurf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I agree, realize the patch in most cases is not available so it's pending certification which is a result of the game passing very pending a patch or two...

• digitalforum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ive pre ordered it, but would like to play it as soon as i get it, not wiat for a 20gb file to be downloaded as well, we should be able to pre download any file, no-one would waste downloading something if they cannot use it anyway

• xSKULLFLOWERx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Uhhhhh. Pre-order the game digitally. I had the day one patch downloaded several days in advance. If you want a physical copy then you're not entitled to the benefit of having the game installed and ready to go at release.

• Itachi69X commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Already downloaded the patch for Halo: MCC two days ago. It is now 15 GB. Can't wait to start playing when its released. GO DIGITAL!!!! Its awesome!!! Was able to play COD: AW right at 9:01pm PST when it was released. I do think that if gamers are going to buy the disc, Microsoft should have gamers sign up for advanced patch downloading instead of just placing it in the Marketplace. This allows just the amount of people to download the patch instead of having pointless streaming.

• KeelahQuib commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see why we should be allowed to download any content if we haven't paid for it yet. Yes pre download day one patches 24hrs beforeit goes live but not if its not been paid for

• PuffitlikePuffs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seeing a list of patches that can be installed in the DLC Marketplace would be the best way for gamers to get these releases.

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base