Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

DRM Choice to Facilitate Family Sharing and Digital Trading

The original Xbox One licensing model where the disc is just a delivery mechanism like the Internet was too ambitious and would disadvantage too many users. My suggestion would give Xbox users a choice on which DRM method is more comfortable for them.

If you download a game from Xbox Live, then you consent to the digital DRM policy which requires an Internet check-in every 24 hours. If the user buys a game disc and installs from the disc they have the choice to either enter in a 25-digit Microsoft code (or QR code) to convert the game to digital or decline. Entering the code automatically enrolls the user into the digital DRM program with all of its benefits and restrictions. If the user chooses to decline then as a DRM measure the disc must be in the tray at all times.

Restrict family sharing and digital trading to digital copies only. Once a physical copy is converted to digital, this cannot be reversed. Xbox can providers a website available for retailers and others to check whether or not a code has been used already (similar to the "Redeem a Code" section of Xbox.com). This would prevent users from installing a game and then immediately returning it to the retailer. The user can install the game and give it to a friend, but the friend will be limited to having the disc in the tray with no choice of digital benefits like instant switching, family sharing, digital trading, etc. These digital programs will discourage piracy as users will take the path of least resistance.

The keys to making this work is to have benefits only for the digital version. Digital ownership has its advantages and these should be clear and distinct. The second key is an easily accessible website for retailers and users to check and see if a digital code has been redeemed already. This prevents users from installing and immediately returning the game.

The key here is choice. Choice was the only thing missing from the original announcement. Some of us believed in MS original vision. But we also respect the wishes of those who did not like it. With all of the benefits of digital ownership, who knows, maybe those same users will convert those physical copies to digital ones.

422 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ArsynicArsynic shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Swift ProtoSwift Proto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is already Home Xbox and Microsoft has already done this 'family game sharing' thing for Windows Store games. I doubt they will do it for Xbox as people will abuse the crap out of it. I'm pretty sure everyone already abuses Home Xbox by sharing it with a friend.

• SwordofWhedonSwordofWhedon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is already in the works and has been for years. There is a great deal of legal stuff that has to be done to actually implement it. The technology is already in place.

• kissthis1775kissthis1775 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have gone through and voted on all these posts like this. It angers me that I have 4 Xbox ones in my house and the most I can do is share games between 2 consoles. I should be able to share them with all accounts under my family account! PAY ATTENTION XBOX/MICROSOFT!

• WHM SamuraWHM Samura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Family game sharing, it would be great if you could assign 5-10 (number TBD) people as Family Members and all purchases then unlock for everyone in that assigned family.

There could be limits of how many people can play that product at the same time say 2/3 people. Also there could be online only restrictions to check that there aren't more people playing.

You may even want to lock achievements then allow them to buy a copy at a discounted rate to unlock achievements. I think it would work well, countless times I've played games with my Dad and he ended up buying a game second hand he never even would have looked at, even purchasing DLC for said game.

Final idea that can go along with this is family tree, when selecting your family it would be cool if you could select your family members and relationship to them, for example set my dads profile as my dad and my wife as my wife. That way Cortana could use that list so I could say is my Dad online and shed understand.

• LeoKurtzLeoKurtz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The opt-in should be only for the family sharing features. While you're offline it should work exactly as it does today (you play games assigned to your home console and shared games are not available).

• LeoKurtzLeoKurtz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

redeem a code for physical copies would be too convoluted, maybe you're requiring too much of your typical gamestop employee. Online sale of used copies would be a nightmare too (in sites like eBay) other than that I love the idea of an opt-in system for family sharing and daily check-ins.

• Wongaj2011Wongaj2011 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone has the use for game sharing digitally bought games, but most games are still purchased in store physically. I have 2 xboxs and like the digital game sharing concept but think it needs to be implemented to physical discs. Friends and family buy discs as presents also. Still leaving it to rebuying if you want it on your other Xbox after you have been given the rights to the game. This could be done easily by selling game copies with a digial QR code that links to your account and enables the download on your xbox and home shared xbox. For existing games, it can be implemented through use of one of the identifying numbers on the game or box itself and limiting to only one link to an account per copy. Implementing an overall game sharing idea would probably help Microsoft too. For most gamers, it would probably be fairly easy to download ISO software and make a clone of the physical disc. I know if I started doing this I wouldn't be buying games, but right not it's not worth the effort unless an ultimate game sharing doesn't come out.

• jdroberjdrober commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think check in should be rare but unfortunately necessary. I'm rural so internet goes down some and check ins suck if you can't play due to being down and originally there were to be no check in required after the first update after purchase, google it. I went round and round with ms over that lie. Also, serial # the discs and render them moot once converted to digital. You could still reinstall using the disc but only if your acct converted it. Would not work anywhere else once serial# is logged as converted. Then serial # the digital copy as well for digital resale or maybe an xbl auction. Same as before, once serial# is sold the license goes with it. Upon sale the publisher/studio get like 1% of that resale amt and another 1% to xbl for facilitating the sale. They also pull/charge applicable taxes at time of sale so no whining from uncle sam. Tax calculater would show up front automatically. Note: I said applicable tax, if there is no tax due, then there is no tax due, based on your state etc... there is alot to consider so i presume that's why we don't have this yet but with this model i think it possible and all parties would gain something rather than the studio upset they get nothing from resale. Xbl gets some for making it work. We get to make games go physical to digital and resell them as well, should we choose. Win/win... God bless!!!

• STIZZSTIZZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It can go up as an option as long as it stays that way don't put it on there and speak for everyone else and assume that everyone prefers it because everyone don't. But I would not like DRM on there as I feel this is exactly what will happen. I feel like this DRM is not needed if family share can be implemented without the whole check in system put it in. If people want to play games without disc in it then you are pretty much saying you want digital so just go all digital and stay away from physical.

• MaxPCK1MaxPCK1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have got a bit the same idea for the x360 and one , is it an idea that we migrate our ideas?

• JURDANJURDAN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea, at least give us the option to suscribe in this DRM.

If it were optional no one could day that is restrictive.

• Badd TeddyBadd Teddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's no reason for you to be forcibly opted-in to check-ins just because you download a digital copy of the game.

If I want to play a game while my internet is *** up or if I decide to get rid of it for some reason, there's no good reason I shouldn't be able to play a single-player game offline without needing to go buy a disc. I doubt there's a good argument for check-ins being 24 hours either. Weekly check-ins ought to be reasonable enough, and at the very least 72 hours.

The check-ins are frankly only legitimate for the sake of going disc-less after buying a physical copy and for the sake of family sharing. Digital selling/trading doesn't even legitimately require it.

All that needs to happen for selling/trading/gifting to work is to remove the content from the the seller/trader's console and then remove purchase rights from the seller/trader and give them to the buyer/tradee, which would then require the seller/trader to re-purchase the title to access/download the content again.

The opt-in needs to be an actual opt-in, not a pseudo-forced one.

• Emperor PaulusEmperor Paulus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems a reasonable compromise between those of us who bought in to the original MS pitch vs those who......didn't. I've gone all digital; this policy would get me buying disks again. Like it. Like it a lot.

• bustersnmbustersnm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want this back also... But i am ok even with a 72 hour check... Just in case internet goes out... i can play offline... :)

• JOE FROGGJOE FROGG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. Give us the option to buy a DRM version of the game or a regular disc. This way if you don't have internet then it want affect you. On the other hand if you decide to go the DRM route then you will have to check into the internet or put your disc in to play. Win-win

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base