Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

Remove the requirement of having to enter your credit card information for something thats free.

It used to not be a requirement and it serves as an inconvenience to some people.

1,396 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

davedogg323davedogg323 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

145 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • teflon skullteflon skull commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sad thing is, it has to be a bug. I can download free with gold xbox one games. But, if it's a free store item, like an avatar, or a free backwards compatibility game through games with gold, it throws a fit, won't let you use paid for credit, and tells you to add a CC to download a free item. Makes 0 sense.

• eX C0NeX C0N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you answer your question, in your question. The 1 free month is NOT just for the heck of it. It's a trial. Most all trials nowadays require a valid cc. Tracking who abuses a program etc. They won't revert back, and I don't blame them.

• IamAbOss27IamAbOss27 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MACHO MANN ALT : Money grabber?

how can you say so, when in fact there is no auto-renewal if you will receive a XBOX Live Gold 25 digit code and redeem it on your account. The use of Credit Card verification is that they will be able to know who keeps on creating new gamer tags or account just to get the free 1month gold.

• GUTTERxSNIPEGUTTERxSNIPE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me just create a new gamer tag to get a free month without buying anything. They catch on to that quick..

• Dev Mr RoseDev Mr Rose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've never experienced this myself before but i have a friend that has encountered this issue and i haven't had the time to report it, but he tells me that when he goes to the game that's free and backwards compatible he clicks to ¨confirm purchase¨ and it would take him to a screen saying to go to the xbox website or to get it via his xbox console.

• Vex1Vex1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am sure Microsoft will look into this issue with requiring a credit/debit card for acquiring free games.

In the meantime I suggest using a card and simply removing it after you download the game.

• CleverSpace498CleverSpace498 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Buy a $20 preloaded visa card from Walmart. Enter the card number as your account info. Activate your live gold free trial. Cancel before it charges you for the next billing cycle or buy a 3 month or one year gold code/card before your trial ends. Easy. Simple. It works.

Buy a $5 to $20 preloaded visa card at Walmart. Enter the card information as your credit/debit card in your profile. Download your free games. It works. There is even a help page on Microsoft that explains this process and why a card is required.

Buy a $5 preloaded visa gift card at walmart. Insert that card number in for your credit/debit card information. It works.

• Midnite RiderMidnite Rider commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't fall for the Xbox scam, you spend thousands of dollars on their products, games, videos and movies and when things suddenly no longer work (Purchased digital content including TV shows, Music Videos, Movies, etc. no longer work because they have made changes to their UI and if you don't have proof from 14 years back to current date for absolutely every single little thing you have purchased they don't care, refuse to help you and accuse you of never having bought it from their store front. I have spent days trying to resolve my issue and they totally refuse to make my 16 GB of music videos, TV shows and movies to work because I can't pull receipts out of my *** from 10-14 years ago, and yet I have videos I have paid money for even as recently as 2011 and they don't even have ANY records. I say ***. They have records, I found somewhere where I could see purchases for games and add-ons, but low and behold when I try to load the page that shows my video purchases the page will only error out no matter what browser I use to try to view it. Bottom line is they will take your money and tell you to FO because you can't produce receipts from over 10 years ago that should be reflected in your on-line account. If I ever get money to buy a new console I will never ever buy another MS product and I suggest you follow me. I am not a tech novice by any means, My profession has been robotics and computers, I know my way around any tech. , they tell me to just download it over again but it is hard when they don't show any of the video content you download. I have never purchased and digital content from anywhere but the Xbox Store, this is how they treat a disabled vet and a 14 year long Live member. Just the fees for their service for 14 years should get them to help me, let alone the over 500 games and 6 or 7 consoles since the original Xbox came out. I am on a fixed income and a new console is not an option so I guess I will just have to consider I've thrown all my money away supporting Xbox and their consoles. Too bad Bill Gates can't see this but believe me I am copying this post in it's entirety and am going to spread it to every new station, paper and show, as well as the entire Tech community, the gaming community and everywhere else I can find to post this on the internet. You have *** the wrong person over Xbox. I am a disabled vet that was using this as therapy, Looks like PlayStation will get my support from now on, and I hope you look at how much I have spent since 2004 on your consoles, games and add-ons because you will not see that again from me and I will do all I can to inform ALL vets, and the entire tech community on the internet of this farce you run and the fact you refuse to help me. I even asked to speak to supervisors and was totally Ignored. That's how much they care. They don't care about you at all, all they want is your money.

• Choco Da GreatChoco Da Great commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I keep missing out on great games because i have no credit card. If anyone has a bogus credit card just to get games with gold please feel free to send me a pm and share your details with me. I just want to be able to buy blackops 1

• Ice SpamzorIce Spamzor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@MACHO MANN ALT : people can also by xbox live gold on cards simply in a store that sells them and then redeem a card to extend their xbox live gold.
    To everyone else: some regions don't require an credit card for example the netherlands (Nederland), but you must be on your xbox 360 while "buying" the free game (xboxdotcom website). Do a google search how to change your region, BUT TAKE NOTE!: any money you have tied to your account does not go with you to that region (it stays on your previous region) AND you can ONLY CHANGE REGION every 3 months, your xbox live gold does get transferred with you to that region.

• mark3amark3a commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still can't believe they have not fixed this. I want to download the free xbox 360 games on my xbox one and still wants credit card details. I buy vouchers for credit and my gold because I don't want to share my card details and I still can't download the free games.

Can someone at Microsoft, please see these comments and change that system. Why have backwards comp if you make it so hard to download the old games. jeez

• ZatanLovesGod15ZatanLovesGod15 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The most annoying thing is that if you actually get to use your credit card, or your debit card (if the *** system ever let's you which never happens) the bank charges you a dollar or two for the transaction, and some may say, that's not much, but when you've already paid money for that scumbag Gold subscription, you don't want to get your damn FREE games spending more money.
    Microsoft, you are honestly a piece of *** of a company.

• Internet ExpertInternet Expert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's always prepaid Gold cards for subscription time, and Xbox gift cards for game/DLC purchases... all of which can be bought with beautiful, anonymous cash.

• Puck6T9Puck6T9 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

for real.. requireing a credit card on file for FREE stuff is stupid. i dont want my credit card saved forever on my "could be stolen" Microsoft account. you do understand account with credit cards attached are the accounts targeted. so stupid.

• MetalBoxFanMetalBoxFan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah it is annoying that you need a credit card to purchase a "free" item. I just use one of those $25 visa cards you can get at walmart

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base