Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

Game Rentals

Give us the ability to "rent" games digitally. Time starts when game is first played. Daily fee (perhaps 1 or 2 USD or equivalence). Opt to delete game to end rental, and any amount paid is subtracted from full game if we choose to buy it. Of course Xbox live would be needed during rental period. This would be a great way to earn revenue and allow us to play a game and try it before fully commuting to buying it.

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with similar ideas posted by Jojan305, Sir Hellraiser, TripleXuLtiMaTe, and others. Thanks everyone!]

6,776 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

TH3 SCARFATH3R shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

145 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bunie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most games already allow you to play them for free for a specific amount of time. If you need more than that, get the Xbox Game Pass.

• KajuMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Related.. Should be able to pre-download game patches, updates, etc. Especially for things like physical copies that need 4 GB in Day One patches!

• USSTVirus2110 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a good idea, better if you rent it for an specific amount of time, like a week or so. Because nowadays the problem is that you need buy it if you wanna see if it's good.

• HyruleBalverine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a cool idea; with places like Red Box and GameFly.com renting games, Microsoft could do well to rent out digital game licenses.

• N1pSmugg1er commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe just get a company to make a gaming rental app. That way you dont have crashes. It is impossible to find game rental spots anywhere now an days.

• I Kill u 643 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this would be horrible, you can get the game then beat it. It would crash thr game market to where you cant play a game at ALL

• LegoNinja187 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a good idea, I don't like purchasing new games unless i am a fan of the series, or know i will enjoy it, this way i will be able to try the games before i actually buy them.

• xMISSPHOENIX2x commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I been saying this for a long time actu all with xbox being so money hungry..they would actually get more than what the game is worth becuase people never take there games back on time..unless u pic a certain time frame and on that day the game 's rights just shut off..I doubt we would get credit on to the game if we choose to buy it..actually it be nice if they were set up like game fly ..open source of games at are figure tips long has we pay every month..I totally pay for a xbox/game fly account digital..granted it probably be like 20 a month but so worth if we had every game when we wanted..

• Duncan Garnett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know if this has been said before...

You should be able to earn achievements, but you don't get them until you fully buy the game. You would still see the achievement notification, it would have the same sound, but it would be a set colour for rentals.

• Gonzo Spy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Other ideas along this line:

*Create higher levels of memberships like platinum or diamond that can download and play a certain number of games per month, but the license to play expires after a month.
    *Allow timed charges for a download that only last for a certain number of days and has to be renewed to keep playing.
    *Set up a program that has a "Play per Day" system. This could either charge a card a small amount for each day a rented game is played or keep pre-paid credits associated with the account that allow a day per credit.

• Tormaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Terrific Idea! Steam offers a 2 hour try it out period, if it's not what you expected you can request a full refund.

• MiddleOyster921 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would really be nice, gives players an idea of the game before they buy. More informed shoppers usually means happier shoppers. Helps if there isn't a game demo for it as well.

• ToasterStroudul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xbox one store digital renting system. So basically you would go to the store, then you would click on a game wether it be in new releases, most popular etc. Then you would choose between buy or download demo or whatever, with the additional added option... of renting. Now bare with me. Pricing could be negotiated on forums or in polls or what have you. But I will say right now as a fact. I would pay 9.99 for a ONE WEEK digital rights contract to play a rented game. This means that by clicking accept your card is charged said price (which is susceptible to change) you are also told that by clicking accept you have exactly 7 days from the time of purchase to play UNLIMITED the game. Now additionally things can also be talked about when it comes to DLC but I think at the very heart this idea NEEDS to happen.

Hollywood Video and Blockbuster no longer exist. The only option I have to rent games now-a-days is Redbox. Not only is their selection EXTREMELY limited but I also have to go to that location, get the game, AND return the game when I am done. In the digital age we are now entering and already living in, this needs to be an option. I hope Microsoft seriously takes this into consideration in the hopes of making it a reality. Thank you.

- ToasterStroudul.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base