Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

Gift A Game For a Period of Time (Game Lending)

Crazy idea for Xbox Live Gold ... and it goes along the lines of what the vision was for Xbox One initially .. sort of .. how about as an Xbox Live Gold Member we're allowed to gift a game for a weekend or whatever time.

The person would then be able to hop on and play the game with us for a weekend or whatever time length. So we're showing how cool it is to be Xbox Live Gold and to own an Xbox One by allowing a friend play a game they don't have for a set time.

Not sure how that would work but it would be crazy cool :)

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with similar ideas posted by azgoodaz, FORZOU, thefalcon2k and The Nerevarine, who both also suggest gifting games and DLC to friends permanently. Thanks everyone!]

6,543 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DEACON shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

119 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ya Boi CrazyX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea, I feel like they could incorporate this some how with the Free play days but along with what you said gifting to a person instead of a set game.

• HyruleBalverine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was something that they had intended with the original release of the Xbox One, but sadly they had some very strong DRM requirements to compensate. They've never come back to this. Here's hoping that they do.

• DarkReign2209 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would make the most sense to transfer the rights that you purchased to someone for a period of time to another user. You would lose those rights for that period of time and then it would be transferred back.

To do this it would cost Microsoft money. Therefore, you'd probably have to be willing to pay for this service, which the people in the gaming community seems to be unwilling to do....ever.

They have workarounds for this though. Popular games get free download and play on various weekends. It is a way to have mass appeal to many people and gives them money. When you ask for something, you have make it appealing to the party that is creating the changes....it has to be mutually beneficial. The way that it is set up in this question benefits the consumer...but puts A LOT of risk on the producer.

• Syscol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea. I've been trying to get friends to buy Rocket League for weeks now but they refuse to drop money on a game they think "looks silly". They need a "taste" so they can see just how addicting it can be!

• PalmettoBling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to share games with my friends and let them try something if they are interested in checking it out.

• Titan Foolz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes gift a game to welcome new players I should be allowed to pass on my licences to my games after I finished with them....

• Leco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Steam and this is how a gift most of my friends today. It would be great if I could do the same through the Xbox as well.

• Shadow XBL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should be able to lend my license to another gamercard. I see no issue with that. Then, it activates it for use for them, until I revoke their license and then I can play it again. No different than giving my friend a disc.

• Tommy Chong Fan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see that you can gift a game that has been beaten to a

friend. By giving the license to those games only

• FlexAnimal5477 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something the devs have to agree with. Which means have friends give each other games and Lose money or just charge them.

• RandyAU93 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lots of users improperly share their digital content. I get that users want to share games that may not be on disc, and I get that publishers should be able to get paid for content they produce. So here's the happy medium: permit digital games to be borrowed, safely. I call it Game Lending.

Let's say a friend wants to borrow my digital copy of "Halo 5: Guardians". Through Game Lending, I can generate a 5x5 or similar code that I can then send to my friend via Xbox Live or e-mail. That code contains the license for the game as well as a predefined time period for the exchange. For this example, let's say two weeks.

When my friend redeems the code, the installation begins. In fairness, the timer shouldn't start until the game is accessed for the first time. When that occurs, I temporarily lose the license, as it's being used by my friend. They can then access anything associated with that game, and are only limited by the amount of time of the borrow period.

At the end of the period, the license reverts to me automatically; no need to ask them to send it back! Similarly, if the user finishes the game early, they would have the option to return the license on-demand.

I would expect a Game Lending app could be the front-end to make it easy to generate the codes and to connect with friends on your Xbox Live Friends List. There should be no cost for this, and no limit on the number of times a game can be borrowed/lent out, or the number of games a user can lend out at a time.

• GoQbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea! Was looking at another post about selling used digital assets but I prefer this.

The time limit I think is key: but (in the interest of making sure devs and pubs get paid) it should be short. Would love to lend a game for a weekend to a friend.

The part I would add is:
    - The lender obvious cannot play it during the 48 hours (or whatever)
    - The lendee should not be able to get achievements (but of course they can right now for demos I think).
    - Perhaps you can only do this once per lendee (ie. they can't get the same game twice?)

I would also add:
    - If the pub/dev can actually see when games were lent, it opens p the possibility of offering discounts on purchases etc.

• EveryJuanDies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like the option to be able to give/receive a game that was bought from the Live store. My buddy bought a digital copy of a game and doesn't play it, and it's one I would like to have, but he can't give it to me. I've been apart of the Xbox Live family for awhile now and haven't seen a feature like this, plus I don't think it's on any other platform so it'd be cool to have this feature especially if Xbox is the only one to have it haha ;D There have been times where I would like to give a game to a buddy also but I can't hope this gets to happen

• EveryJuanDies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like the option to be able to give/receive a game that was bought from the Live store. My buddy bought a digital copy of a game and doesn't play it, and it's one I would like to have, but he can't give it to me. I've been apart of the Xbox Live family for awhile now and haven't seen a feature like this, plus I don't think it's on any other platform so it'd be cool to have this feature especially if Xbox is the only one to have it haha ;D

• TheGamersKrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i can see this happening but only if they disable achievements otherwise companies would reject tlhis proposal as they would loose money. this basically entails into a full demo for 48 hours.

There is so much downsides with this, I can see microsoft doing it if people want it but the thing is the game companies they wont like loosing more money as this is simpler than actual trading with actual people this can be done with anyone around the world.

There is alot of money to be lost.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base