Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

Convert physical games to digital

I would love a way to be able to convert the physical games I own into digital games. Perhaps a small fee and the need to insert the game only every 4 or 5 times played (to avoid people paying only a small fraction by just borrowing a friend's game). It would certainly make it easier than walking downstairs or upstairs every time I want to play a game if the disc isn't in the right One.

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with similar ideas posted by Aragorn 2014, Possums88, Ajguy and UGitSmoked. Thanks, everyone!]

12,280 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Peench shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

602 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ba7m0nk3y commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Vudu has a "disk to digital" program in place for video so why can't something similar for games be done too?

• HuskySquire4821 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, My name is RICHARD FROM UNITED STATE and i want to share my experience with everyone. I have being hearing

about this blank ATM card for a while and i never really paid any interest to it because of my doubts and due to the fact

that i lost alot of money to online scam. Until one day i discovered an hacker called mason hardman. he is really good at

what he does.so I inquired about The Blank ATM Card. If it works or even Existed, He told me yes and that its a card

programmed for random money withdraws without being noticed and can also be used for free online purchases of any kind. This

was shocking and i still had my doubts. Then i gave it a try and asked for the card and agreed to his terms and conditions.

Hoping and praying it was not a scam. four days later i received my card and tried it with the closest ATM machine close to

me, It worked like magic. I was able to withdraw up to $3000USD. This was unbelievable and the happiest day of my life. So

far i have being able to withdraw up to $28000USD without any stress of being caught and the wonderful part is that the

credit limit is over a $$600,000.00USD. i also wanted to confirm if i could use it anywhere in the world so i traveled to 6

different countries and it worked perfectly well. I don't know why i am posting this here, i just felt this might help those

of us in need of financial stability. blank Atm has really changed my life and it can change yours too. It is 100% safe to

use this card. Because it will be shipped to you as a gift card.
    He can also reload any Active and valid cards, any type of card just contact him for a reload (prepaid cards, credit/debit cards).TYPE VERVE VISA AND MASTER CARD

CONTACT HIM== OFFICIALBLANK9@GMAIL.COM
    officialcashatm@gmail.com

• xankazo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would totally love this. I mean, Steam already has something similar, why can't we?

• BefitDiagram840 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Salsicce77 Microsoft tried your suggestion, as a form of DRM prior to release, the backlash was so strong the plan had to be abandoned. Honestly, I think short-term digital leases are a good thing, but deactivating the disc at any point causes issues that no player should ever have to deal with. However, a plan where the company will buy the discs back in exchange for digital copies could be valid, though activation failures could cause you to lose both copies... hence why this is probably not the best idea. (imagine having turned in the disc, but having online activation fail).

Let's be honest here: 12,238 people don't want to have to put their discs in and get up off the couch every time they want to switch games, it's ludicrous. Why can't we have our cake and eat it too?

• KukuMonroe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bought a copy of Forza 7 on disc, thinking I could play it on Windows as well (since it's sold with the "Xbox play anywhere" label.

I can't even review the game since it says I don't own it, so I guess the disc is just a fancy way to begin the online installation process really.

• tmirb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would gladly go to a Microsoft Store (brick and mortar) just to get my copy of Forza 7 Standard traded in for a digital copy.

• AgentXXL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be totally in favor of an option to convert our disc-based games to digital download, especially the ones that are also playable on Windows 10. Either taking the game discs to a Microsoft store for 'conversion' or even mailing them into a Microsoft depot. Even if there was a small fee per game, I would consider it a valuable option.

• Salsicce77 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely each physical disc would have a serial number? So hypothetically, once entered, allows the digital download. One digital download per serial number. Problem solved.

• mghtyred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are literally games that I almost never play anymore because I don't like the idea of having to get up and flip a discs allow us to converter games to digital heck will even mail them into you so that nobody else can use them ever again

• Lone Wolf 23350 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make the dlcs work on Xbox one went to buy Mass effect trilogy dlcs use voucher at Xbox store but won't let me please fix problem it hard playing games knowing you are not getting the full experience of the game

• NorCalNavyMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to walk into a Microsoft Store with my handful of discs; turn them in; and leave with each game having been added to my Xbox Live account.

Easy enough to limit a customer to, say, 3-5 games per month (so as to prevent abuse of the system). Where is the harm?

• LmG Xeir0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make this a thing, I have kids and sadly they do not appreciate things they way I would like them to yet I love my hard copy collection but it really sucks when some miss handles them and they get scratched and are no longer playable. Just make it so you have to put in your copies bar code on the game while the game is in the console then have a second verification in your email that way if you ever do sell the game and someone else puts in the bar code you have to verify online that yes you sold it to the new person to protect against theft and the like

• romeoteknik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this option isn't viable, then the solution is quite simple, include a digital key with physical purchases. Problem solved. Seems to work on physical editions of PC games, seems to work with blu-ray movies (normal bluray disc, digital copy all in 1 package!), transfer this solution to console games. No more exclusive content just for "digital only". You buy 1 copy of the game and that's it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base