Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

Convert physical games to digital

I would love a way to be able to convert the physical games I own into digital games. Perhaps a small fee and the need to insert the game only every 4 or 5 times played (to avoid people paying only a small fraction by just borrowing a friend's game). It would certainly make it easier than walking downstairs or upstairs every time I want to play a game if the disc isn't in the right One.

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with similar ideas posted by Aragorn 2014, Possums88, Ajguy and UGitSmoked. Thanks, everyone!]

12,086 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Peench shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

593 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Salsicce77 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely each physical disc would have a serial number? So hypothetically, once entered, allows the digital download. One digital download per serial number. Problem solved.

• mghtyred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are literally games that I almost never play anymore because I don't like the idea of having to get up and flip a discs allow us to converter games to digital heck will even mail them into you so that nobody else can use them ever again

• Lone Wolf 23350 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make the dlcs work on Xbox one went to buy Mass effect trilogy dlcs use voucher at Xbox store but won't let me please fix problem it hard playing games knowing you are not getting the full experience of the game

• NorCalNavyMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to walk into a Microsoft Store with my handful of discs; turn them in; and leave with each game having been added to my Xbox Live account.

Easy enough to limit a customer to, say, 3-5 games per month (so as to prevent abuse of the system). Where is the harm?

• LmG Xeir0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make this a thing, I have kids and sadly they do not appreciate things they way I would like them to yet I love my hard copy collection but it really sucks when some miss handles them and they get scratched and are no longer playable. Just make it so you have to put in your copies bar code on the game while the game is in the console then have a second verification in your email that way if you ever do sell the game and someone else puts in the bar code you have to verify online that yes you sold it to the new person to protect against theft and the like

• romeoteknik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this option isn't viable, then the solution is quite simple, include a digital key with physical purchases. Problem solved. Seems to work on physical editions of PC games, seems to work with blu-ray movies (normal bluray disc, digital copy all in 1 package!), transfer this solution to console games. No more exclusive content just for "digital only". You buy 1 copy of the game and that's it.

• Sp33dyKat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Paid top dollar for a PHYSICAL version of Forza Motorsport 7. Turn10 just announced a new "Hoonigan Car Pack" that will be free in both Forza Horizon 3 & Forza Motorsport 7...but only to those that pre-order the DIGITAL version of FM7. I own every Horizon & Motorsport game, but I'll not be paying full price for a digital version of FM7, just to get this car pack. Ridiculous!

• romeoteknik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once again, Forza 7 has content for digital-only purchases making it an "exclusive". Physical pre-order folks are *** once again. Something needs to be implemented at Mike Ybarra's/Xbox engineering level that would allow a physical disc customer a "1 time digital upgrade" for a small fee, so they are not spending absurd amounts of money by double dipping. (yes, its optional but most folks want all content available). The method mentioned below about the console reading the disc and granting a license sounds fine or I am sure the Xbox engineers can come up with something if not. This needs to happen, especially when content is now being an exclusive for digital purchases over physical.

• nicvac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Natan3507, try this trick. Insert the disk and when xbox starts to pull the disk through itself, continue holding the disk with your fingers, opposing the xbox attempt to get the disk.
    Hold the disk for just a second and then release it. This will cause the disk to go faster inside the xbox, with the right force to go inside in the right place. This works for me.

• Nathan3507 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Xbox won't read discs anymore. Happened when I first got it, after two months it stopped reading discs. Got it repaired and then two months later happened again. They want me to pay again to have it repaired. Which I know would only be a temporary fix! So I would love to be able to send them my discs and get digital copies in return so I don't have to buy every game twice like I have been! I don't have that kind of damn money... and they won't work with me whatsoever and help me!!!

• SiIentButtDedIy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

theoretical process:
    1: Login to XBox live on Windows 10 computer
    2: Insert XBox game disc to dvd burner
    3: Run "Disc to Digital" app and verify disc
    4: App burns the disc making it unusable
    5: XBox Live grants digital licence to authenticated user.

6: The purge ensues to acquire all discounted physical discs within a 100 mile radius to convert to digital licences
    7: MS loses money from people who may otherwise just rebuy the game since they are too tired to walk all the way downstairs.

• MessiahXC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They should include CDKEY to the games inside, so to convert it into Digital and leave as used CDKEY after converted, so if someone lends or sells the disc, it can be used only on disc.

• Schwammkopf 888 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i think thats very difficulti to program becous you can convert the disc to a digital game and than you can give the disc to your friend and he can do the same thing

• Nathan3507 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Xbox doesn't read discs anymore. Had the problem 4 months after i bought the system, then had it repaired, started again a few months later. So I really wish I could atleast send them my discs in return for digital versions... so I don't have to buy them again just to play. The discs are in perfect shape too...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 29 30

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base