Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

Convert physical games to digital

I would love a way to be able to convert the physical games I own into digital games. Perhaps a small fee and the need to insert the game only every 4 or 5 times played (to avoid people paying only a small fraction by just borrowing a friend's game). It would certainly make it easier than walking downstairs or upstairs every time I want to play a game if the disc isn't in the right One.

[Mod Edit: This idea was merged with similar ideas posted by Aragorn 2014, Possums88, Ajguy and UGitSmoked. Thanks, everyone!]

12,586 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Peench shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

614 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • TinselMarker806 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have XBox One, so I'm kinda out of luck when it comes to PES. Just to clarify, is anything in the XBox One version editable? Can’t even change the team name? I can honestly get past the generic jerseys, but seeing fake team names may get tough to deal with. As far as I understand it's not Konami's fault but it's the way Microsoft handles file sharing on Xbox One which isn't compatible with PES (do they allow file exchange at all? I also have an Xbox One but I've never digged that much into it please give us better updates to deal with this fake teams name and logo cuz the games we buy are not for free think of that and very too expensive to give us better update to deal with everything in the PES game

• EbenerRamos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, one solution to make a reality would be to register the game's serial in the Xbox account. That way so it can not be done with games that are borrowed by friends.

• m0nk3yb0y18 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you haven't noticed, this has 12k votes and Microsoft hasn't even considered it.

The reason they haven't considered it is because they have no way to stop 1 physical copy from becoming thousands. I can put it in my console, make it digital, then hand it to a friend to do the samething and there isn't a thing Microsoft could do to prevent it. This is why this has 12k votes and nothing has been done.

• Exile714 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with Microsoft’s original idea for this wasn’t that people wanted discs only, but that Microsoft tried to make it so games would only work if you had an internet connection. People want options, not restrictions. For me at the house I was in at the time, I only had satellite internet and that had a 15gb/mo cap. Now that I have true internet again, I have a collection of games I wish could be converted to digital. I don’t like having a fractured library so I keep buying discs, but a conversion would mean I can start going digital completely.

• RequitedDarkOne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely possible. VUDU already has this function for DVDs and it reads special serial codes to prevent a disc from being used twice. I would even be happy if Microsoft partnered with GameStop and made it so you can literally trade your physical disc for a digital copy (for a small fee of course) as I would want to be able to get rid of the disc if I have the digital version.

• Robert RedXBox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

that would be a great idea since I think my xbox one drive is starting to fail, needed to put in Far Cry 5 disc in 2 times, first time it did read the disc right eject it then put it back in and it read it fine, today I am not having the drive problem but yesterday it was doing that problem, which I have also expecticed with my final fantasy xv game disc it was doing the same thing, need to put it in 2 times to get the Xbox One Drive to read it, my Xbox One also reads as out of warranty on the hardware, I think I had this Xbox one system for 2 years already, my Xbox 360 still is working with no problems, it only seems to be an game reading problem with its Blu ray drive, my old Xbox 360 never had this type of problem that I am having with the Xbox one.

• Malacath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The irony is that this was originally going to be a feature of xbox one. But it was changed to the current system because most of the community were against it. It wouldn't surprise if some of the people voting for this were amongst those people who were against it. How things have changed

• ZappCatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add me to this list.
    1) Not sure a Vudu style disc to digital would work, due to the ease of fraud, but it would ROCK!.

2) I think this could be a good way to get people/gamers into the physical MSFT stores. I own MSFT products, but have no interest in stopping into their stores when at the Mall. Their store is across the aisle from the Apple and the difference in amount of customers is hilarious.

I would not pay a large price, but if it were reasonable- $2-$10, I would probably take advantage of it for a significant part of my 100+ Xbox game collection

• STENZELL99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Never having an XBox before, I bought CoD WWII as a disk thinking I’d download it and not have to use the disk again. I was obviously wrong, but this wasn’t a problem until my brother bought another XBox. It’s impossible to play together now, so I’d gladly pay (I’d even go up to $20) to get a digital download code! If you can gameshare one digital download, why not be able to get ONE code per game to share too?

• TaterzGamez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It just makes sense. Bring the disc to an authorized dealer, have them verify that the game works, and belongs to you, they give you a digital download code, and you give them the disc for recycling. Hell, they could even charge a buck or two per game, and I'd pay it.

• Ba7m0nk3y commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Vudu has a "disk to digital" program in place for video so why can't something similar for games be done too?

• xankazo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would totally love this. I mean, Steam already has something similar, why can't we?

• BefitDiagram840 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Salsicce77 Microsoft tried your suggestion, as a form of DRM prior to release, the backlash was so strong the plan had to be abandoned. Honestly, I think short-term digital leases are a good thing, but deactivating the disc at any point causes issues that no player should ever have to deal with. However, a plan where the company will buy the discs back in exchange for digital copies could be valid, though activation failures could cause you to lose both copies... hence why this is probably not the best idea. (imagine having turned in the disc, but having online activation fail).

Let's be honest here: 12,238 people don't want to have to put their discs in and get up off the couch every time they want to switch games, it's ludicrous. Why can't we have our cake and eat it too?

• KukuMonroe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bought a copy of Forza 7 on disc, thinking I could play it on Windows as well (since it's sold with the "Xbox play anywhere" label.

I can't even review the game since it says I don't own it, so I guess the disc is just a fancy way to begin the online installation process really.

• tmirb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would gladly go to a Microsoft Store (brick and mortar) just to get my copy of Forza 7 Standard traded in for a digital copy.

• AgentXXL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be totally in favor of an option to convert our disc-based games to digital download, especially the ones that are also playable on Windows 10. Either taking the game discs to a Microsoft store for 'conversion' or even mailing them into a Microsoft depot. Even if there was a small fee per game, I would consider it a valuable option.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base