Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

Xbox One / Windows 10 - Play Anywhere for Retail Discs

With the exciting news about the recently announced Xbox One / Windows 10 Play Anywhere feature, I was left a little disheartened by the news that this feature will only be available for people who Digitally purchase their games.

Now, I would just like to make the suggestion that Xbox & Microsoft go down the "Ultraviolet" route and allow this great new feature to be available for players who have the physical copy of the games too. I hate that players will be penalized & denied this great feature for either their refusing to pay the absurd Digital pricing or their love for own physical copies of their games. A 1-Off code with each game that would allow players to add this to their Windows PC library would be all that's needed.

707 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

iTz SiNZ v2 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

72 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • PS3BearsFan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GrandMasterRath has a very great explaination of why this won’t happen and after reading his explaination I totally understand why this won’t happen. Don’t be mad at Xbox or Microsoft be mad at GameStop for buying used games. I hope the DRM gets up and running soon. I don’t resell my games anyhow and now see why Microsoft won’t allow digital downloads if you have a physical copy. Thanks GrandMasterRath for the detail explanation of this issue.

• Orbytel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to see this idea. However, there are so many limitations with digital purchases or digital content restrictions using codes for content.

I have four children and two Xbox consoles to share between us. The only way we can share digital content is if we make all purchases/ redeem content codes on my XB account (a parent account), and have one xbox console set as the 'Home' console so digital games can be played offline by other users.

However, if anyone wants to access the digital content on the other console, it needs to be connected to the internet and I also have to be signed in... There are lots of issues with that system too- I cant be signed in on any other console if the kids want to play the digital content on the non-home xbox console.

I was hoping that 'family sharing' would allow any of my kids XBL accounts (under my parent account) to be able to access the content even when I was offline. Not so.

In the past certain games, such as Mass Effect titles or other EA games, have included digital content codes to unlock the full game 'experience' and to prevent pre-owned sales (since they don't receive any revenue from preowned sales). The problem we ran into is that, while the kids could play the vanilla version of the games from the disc, the 'full experience' was limited as the codes were redeemed on my account. To access the content they either had to play on the home console, or I had to be signed in for them to access the digital content as described above.

With disc based games, without any codes to restrict access to content, you just put the disc in and play. Easy.

I heard years ago about a new DRM system that was being trialled using RF chips in discs. The disc would be locked to a console/ xbox account, so you could play the game as if it were a digital purchase (on other xbox consoles without the disc, or on Windows via play anywhere etc). The disc couldn't be used on another xbox unless the RF tag on the disc was released from the account it was tied to, which prevented people from trading in or selling the physical discs.

Obviously this type of DRM system would require additional hardware support- but this type of system would be excellent.

Either that- or enable a code-based system as described in this feature request and introduce some sort of family game library or digital sharing system.

• HyruleBalverine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Noobcamper;
    The problem people had with the DRM was something that a lot of people had (thus the reason Microsoft changed it); with that said, I'd like to see them use this idea.

• Noobcamper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If people didn't flip out so much regarding Xbox Ones DRM plans when it was coming out, we wouldn't have this problem.

But people wanted the ability to trade in games, now we are here...

• GrandMasterRath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While it would be ideal in the perfect world. It would not be practical. What you are suggesting has the potential to make the cost of games go up just for licensing alone.
    For example:
    In the digital world, intellectual property falls under two categories for licensing when it comes to video games, Digital and Physical. When you purchase a physical copy, just having the disc means you have licensing to use that game. The main reason they will not do what you suggested is nothing is to stop someone from buying a physical copy, downloading a digital copy, then returning the physical for a reduced fee. Since the return would be considered a relinquishing of your license, you should no longer be able to play it. Think of it in terms of emulation.
    In the world of emulation, it is perfectly legal to own a digital copy of the game, so long as you own a physical copy of it. The second you relinquish the physical copy, the digital copy must be deleted or you are breaking the law. Subsequently, since there are two different types of licensing that is set outside of Microsoft. They would have to pay two different fees and that would roll across into the cost of your games, whether it is digital or physical.
    Hope this helps,

• carseclass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think play anywhere should be at retail stores too because lot of people don't have very good internet

• Drakona09 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second the idea of doing it like how movies do for UltaViolet codes it's pretty simple just with every new copy of the game give out a play anywhere code for the Windows Store to download the game that's going with the program. Obviously used copies wouldn't have those or be getting those just restrict it to brand new copies like all movies do and you're golden. It's pretty simple and I'm not sure why it's not implemented already. I'm not heartbroken I can't do this with my discs as it wasn't a feature I was avidly awaiting, just something I thought was neat, but to not do something that's already done universally is not smart. I love you Microsoft but start putting codes into brand new game copies already because that's ridiculous.

• crazyboy1997 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Below is a direct message I sent to Xbox Support a while back on twitter followed by their response..

'Hey there! I was wondering if you could help me out here. I recently received both GoW 4 and Recore on physical discs as gifts, I was hoping to be able to play them on my Windows 10 PC using Xbox Play Anywhere but it appears that this is only available with digital downloads of the game. Is this the case and if it is, is there a plan that you know of that will allow owners of physical discs to access the games via windows 10 without needing to repurchase it?'

'Hey there, that isn't something that you can do, unfortunately. However, I believe it to be a good idea if you have a moment I would suggest leaving feedback on that here: http://feedback.xbox.com ^XS'

It's a shame that at the time of receiving the response (Feb 2017) there was nothing in the pipeline to address this pretty ridiculous oversight.

• NoTuchMyDrumSet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I think a lot of gamers would like to see is, being able to play games that they have bought, on both Xbox and PC. I myself would love it if I could download and play the games I have purchased on Xbox for my PC. I have purchased 6 games digitally from the Xbox Store, and don't feel like I should pay for the games again, just to play it on PC. I understand that Microsoft is implicating the "Play-Anywhere" on games that are coming out; but it would be fantastic if I could do the same with games I have purchased in the past. If it was an Xbox exclusive, no biggie, but let me play my games! I also understand the argument about physical copies and digital copies and how some people will return the games. However, I also agree that there should be a code given to the game that is specific to that CD. Kinda like the registration keys we used to have to enter on PC games. This would eliminate people selling the games physical copies that they have already installed. However, I also understand that people don't want to keep these games forever. Which is why I think that the product key should be transferable through official means. Meaning that the games can only be registered to ONE person at a time, signifying that they own that game and only they can play it. You sell the disk, you also sell your rights to play the game, same with digital purchases. Having this unique code would allow everyone to play their games on whatever platform that the game is supported on. If this is what others are saying, I agree totally, but this is in my own words.

• HypaVenomGaming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Microsoft, do this! I got RE7 physically, but I forgot that Xbox Play Anywhere was digital-only. Pretty please?

• Crime Paiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you decide to purchase a XBox one S game disc, which happens to be a Play Anywhere Title and compatible with to play on WIN10 & XBox 1, Why not allow us to purchase or provide the Windows 10 download during checkout, this could still be controlled and associated to your existing profile? The way the whole Play Anywhere Concept was poorly marketed and confusing especially when making a purchase and realizing you didn't buy the proper version of the game.

I don't really care for the disc itself, especially when you must swap disc out when playing a different game. I do enjoy the cover art, steel boxes and adding the games boxes to my existing collection of all my gaming systems/movies etc.... What's disappointing is that the digital version of the games is the same price, which does not include case/steel case, especial content and the paraphernalia associated with that game. Now we are forced to purchase a digital copy of the same game if we chose to play it on our PC's.

At least provide a discount for existing owners...Please consider changing the Play Anywhere games on how they are currently structured and or licensed. Cool concept and convenient way to stay constantly attached to your PC and XBox while at home or at work, you’re blowing it by asking us to purchase a digital copy if we want to play on a PC/XBox. It's bad enough we must drop $90 bucks on a game (Disc) and to drop another $90 to buy a digital version if you choose to play it on your PC, when you already own the game...Terrible!!!

• NETHERLORD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly, I do not understand why they don't do the same thing that steam compatible games do when you buy them as physical copies. They tend to give both the physical cd and the steam code for the game. Why doesn't Microsoft want to adapt this common practice. I've been a loyal customer of theirs for more than 17 years. I don't want to be punished for my loyalty when I purchase Halo Wars 2 Ultimate edition the disc version.

• Mr H Cave Man commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When one buys a UHD Blu-Ray; the standard package comes with the 4K Disc, the 1080p Blu-Ray, a DVD and a Digital Copy. With 3D you get 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + UltraViolet all at one price; it's a premium but it's all included. Since the Film Industry has made this progressive step; it's time the Gaming Industry does as well. When a gamer grabs a physical copy of their new title on either Windows 10 or Xbox One / Project Scorpio it should come with a and a Xbox Live Play Anywhere digital license and it needs to work across Xbox, PC and Mobile. All the games across the board. If a person decides to sell or gift either the Hard Copy or the Digital License that's their business. I use to collect games and films and I took great pride in their display from VHS to Blu-Ray / NES to Xbox 360. These days I am content with all digital everything (I hate getting up just to pop a disc in and got tired of the upkeep) but I would still occasionally buy a collector's edition if it didn't require a second digital purchase - to be honest though the last collector's edition i grabbed was Forza 4 and I have NO physical copies this generation. 100+ games an all digital library :)

• Kungfupandafufu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bought the physical version of "Halo Wars 2 Ultimate edition". Excited about the play anywhere "BS". Download everything , go to my pc to start playing the game and all I see is the season pass?!??! That's when I find out the B! S! play anywhere only applies to "digital downloaded games". Now I'm stuck with a game that I bought only so I could play it on my PC not available for me. Thanks MS for your awesome trickery and thievery of hard working peoples money. What is the point of getting my purchased game registered on Xbox live if the code is pretty much useless after that. Once its tied to my account I should have the PC download made available to me also. On the thievery part why then if the hard copy game does not allow for play anywhere does it cost exactly the same as the digital download? I paid $79.99 for the ultimate edition but can only use it on the console. YOU SHOULD GET BUSY WITH CORRECTING THIS MAJOR OVERSIGHT AND GIVE ME MY PC DOWNLOAD OR REFUND SOME CASH.

• camdentravis05 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree very well with this, I'm okay with digital but I admire discs. For those of you digital people, we OWN these games. You're basically buying a license to play a game.

• pHatRon67 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's quite simple. You have a code to go along with the disc, this code allows playing on Xbox Live service for both Windows 10 and Xbox One. In this era, that can't be too difficult surely?

If I had known a CD version would not allow me to play on PC I would not have bought it. Everywhere I read simply said "Allows playing on PC and Xbox One" nothing said about "Digital Version Only". Now I've bought Resident Evil 7 to play on PC and Xbox and I can only play on Xbox after I read your information hidden away in the FAQ's about play anywhere.

Nice one M$, *** over your customers again. Good job.

• TwiplotSpankle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I legitimately thought Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition would just come prepackaged with a Windows Store download code like it does the preorder DLC and Halo Wars Complete Edition. Very Disappointed.

← Previous 1 3 4

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base