Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

Allow us to use Gift Cards to buy Backward Compatible games on Xbox one and the Free ones on Games with Gold instead of using a Credit Card

We're glad we can finally get the Backward Compatible games on our Xbox One Consoles but it's stupid we have to use Credit Cards and it's about time you let us use the Gift Cards we use to buy everything else such as Xbox One games

804 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Masacre Assasin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • warriornjal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand your problem, currently I have two years of xb gold and if I remove my card (to save me making drunken impulse purchases) I can download the xbox one games with gold but not the 360 back compat games with gold.

• ChrisLikeDuh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe buy a prepaid subscription from Target, that way you do not have to put a credit card. That is what I do.

• M3tal Daz3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This happens because xbox bc games use an emulator of the xbox 360 marketplace. If you have a 360 xbox console you can purchase the games with credits

• Uselessmedics commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think you might have some sort of bug going on, I've never used a credit card or paypal with my account (only ever used prepaid xbox live cards) and I have never had this issue

• IIx DEZ xII commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because even though it is free it still needs to be charged against something, it is the same for anything that you get free digitally. When you get a free 2 weeks for services like Netflix or Now TV do you not require a credit/debit card to be signed up? Yes, its exactly the same thing

• IIx DEZ xII commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You need to have a credit card because even though the game is free it still needs to be charged against something as 'Free'. When you buy anything that is 'Free' online then you still have to be charged against a credit/debit card. Its all about there being a paper trail for tax purposes. I mean i don't personally understand the issue when you're just need to put an active credit/debit card, its not like you're actually paying for anything.

• ManOfOne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The free games are for Xbox live subscribers (not sure if your aware) and you can always use a 12month card instead. This is what I have and i am able to get the games.

• Maurean88 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is compatible. If you have some troubles with adding into your game library, contact the MS support. I have the same issue and they have helped me.

• Josh09 REAL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I download Back Compat games on my Xbox 360 if it is free with gold. Then it goes to the Xbox One. You could also use the Xbox store website.

• TH3 MAD P0TT3R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been playing since the first Xbox, and when I redeemed my gift card and went to buy Skate 3 I discovered there is actually and Xbox one Store and an Xbox 360 store. Yet the gift card says Xbox Gift card, not Xbox One, not Xbox 360. And on the back it says, "Work with Windows 10 PCs, tablets, and phones, Windows 8.1, Windowns Phone 8, Xbox One and Xbox 360." So am I to understand that if I had a 360 I could have put this on my account and used it for whatever 360 content I wanted, and i can put it on my xbox One and buy all the xbox one xontent I want but i can't mix and match? That is slimy, greedy, tricky, and sounds just like Microsoft.

• nrgizer36 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is completely crazy xbox I'm not able to purchase because I put money in my Microsoft account this is nuts! Fix this now please

• CreeperTamer500 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why should you have to assign a credit card to your Xbox One just to get a FREE game? It just doesn't make sense because you don't need credit card payment for a free game, right?

← Previous 1

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base