Find ideas, requested features, or options for the Xbox Store

Convert backward compatible Xbox 360 disc to digital

Now that backwards compatibility is here, I would like an option to upgrade my disc based games to digital for cheap. Since inserting the disc already triggers a download, it would be nice to pay like $1 to have a digital version of that game without Disc. I have gone digital this generation and I am much more likely to play a game from a list on my console, rather than having to get up and put the disc in each time. I know, I know, 1st world problems. Still it would be nice.

1,499 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

TheBusDriver05 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • HyruleBalverine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea, and voted for it, but agree that it would be way too easy to abuse. Some sort of discount would be nice, but it would be way abused if done for only $1

• CoolaidERG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something like a Redbox machine it would read the desk verify what it is from the copyright burn a digital copy to your account. after it's done it would be able to crush it and go into a trash bin underneath

• Phantasystar77 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very bad idea. All one would have to do is pass the disc around to everyone and everyone gets a new game for $1. Microsoft isn't that stupid.

• Bob YAMADA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great idea, but I wonder how it works. If disk is disabled to play physically, they can never resell if we don't play anymore. That is not good idea...
    Maybe online requirement which has been announced at Xbox One launch is good idea.

• Lord BaneJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like what NuklearRaver mentioned - What's stopping me to rent/borrow all the games and redeem the digital copy at dirt cheap price?

• NuklearRaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not a bad idea, but how would you prevent a physical disk from being used multiple times? All I can think of is mailing it in partnering with GameStop/Best buy where you turn the disk in to them and they are authorized to issue a redeemable code for a digital copy.

I'm sure that you would not game the system, but there are some people out there who would!

• Untaken Warrior commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its should also disable the disc by re writing over it so that the disc can't be used by another person for copy resons

• Untaken Warrior commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should also update it so that it is the same as the Xbox one version of the game so we don't have to re buy the game dlcs and we can play on new servers

• PoutyFir849007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would get abused like most other things they implement. You could go round someones house and they pay £1 and get it. Then you go home and get it for £1 also.

• Skridger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simply allow us to fill out a form and/or open a ticket, then mail a game to MS. When MS receives it, they attach a digital license to our account. It shouldn't matter if the game is cracked, scratched to hell, or otherwise not working, as long as they can verify it's authenticity when received. This would serve a dual purpose and give people a way to "repair" physically broken disks by turning them in for a digital copy.

• Dan Tekka Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as soon as a 360 disc has been inserted they should automatically be recognised and allow download and play digitally this would increase lifespan of the discs and can be reprocessed if xbox machine needs to be replaced if develops faults. this would give an edge to the competion.

• DanBillRay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The need for discs to be in the tray to play disc based games is understandable, until you realise that the entirety of the game downloads to hard drive. So please remove the need to have the disc in the tray to play the games once installed. Please.

It must be possible to attach a license for the game to an account, and seeing as the backwards compatibility is free, and you're even giving away compatible games from the 360 with games for gold, there will be no loss to Microsoft and a massive benefit to gamers.

Please consider this, seriously. The whole point of Day One Downloads was to eventually move to a digital only library, and these discs prevent that.

Also I am massively lazy and have become accustomed to not having to get up to play my games.

Thank you.

• Cortana TurnOff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only way I see that happening, is two ways:

You have to physically convert it at a Microsoft store or there would have to be some type of mechanism that would render your disc useless once it happened; inside the xbox.

• K0RVU5 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More realistically, let us "upgrade" and turn in a working disc for five or ten bucks.

This would be good for Microsoft, since it would dry up the huge supply of discs out there and get people buying digital due to scarcity.

Microsoft could give the publishers a taste so they would go along.

← Previous 1

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base