Find ideas and requested changes to make the Xbox App on mobile devices even better

Watch home TV through Smartglass app anywhere

The idea is, while the Xbox is in Instant On mode, it should be waiting for the Smartglass device to request from the internet to start encoding and pushing the HDMI in image. On the Smartglass device the person would be able watch the image in HD and change channels, volume, etc through Kinect IR commands without turning the Xbox fully on.

TL;DR: Watch home TV anywhere with Smartglass app, also change channels, free with gold.

2,565 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DeKo xD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • BlabbyDiamond92 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone who voted to get this backwards compatible can you please GO and VOTE for BACKBREAKER it would be a dream come true

• TH3PUFFMAN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You actually can. If you have a OTA (Over the air) antenna you're able to watch live tv from the smartglass app.

• burger setup commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If your in a different room you can still watch whats on the tv through the smart glass app......... That would be cool

• WingPack9 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if I could use smart glass to stream tv to my laptop. Being able to play a game on a full tv screen and watch tv at the same time would really be great. And I realize you probably don't allow this because of the cable companies...but I really don't care about what the cable companies think.

• oMrNUDGEo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since games can be streamed to external devices, I see no reason why other content can't.

The TV Tuner is an excellent idea, but I'm sure the streaming option could be made available to those who don't have the tuner (cable or satellite viewers, for instance).

If this option could be added, perhaps with the DVR update, sooo many people would be so much happier with what is already an awesome machine!

• Marfield000 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to watch my stream tv anywhere in the house, please make the ability to stream my Cable shows through the xbox one and trough my iPhone and or other mobile phones.

• DanielB645 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The streaming of Live TV on the Xbox feels a bit half baked, really it should have the ability for the user to stream TV from the Xbox to smart glass anywhere with an Internet connection

• PaleRayjay2380 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People keep suggesting from a cable box. I say you can stream from your hauppauge tuner to your device anywhere. Tivo and Simple TV already do this. And if you say you can do it because simple tv and Tivo user have Subscriptions. I say make the capabilities xbox live gold Exclusive.

• Aguilas33 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to play on my tv on the big screen but at the same time on my smartglass se a formula 1 race.
    Please add it but for mexico users

• DocNYz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is happening but I think it's just locally on WiFi? Can some mods chime in or mark it in progress if this is, in fact happening?

PLEASE BRING LOCAL OR REMOTE GAME STREAMING TO SG THAT WOULD BE A PS4/VITA KILLER!!!!!

• MidnightBlack25 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, not just TV! It would be awesome if someone is watching TV you can just make the game video stream to the smartglass app! You could pick up the controller and just start playing on your tablet or smartphone!

• Damatris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not coming. Streaming is via the Digital Tuner USB and NOT HDMI input. Keep on with this one, keep voting. I would like HDMI input streaming please.

• Mmmmmoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mirroring the video or just disabling the TV screen and redirecting the video to the smart glass app would be a pretty nifty feature. I think restricting this to local wifi is probably the most realistic option.

• JAKINOV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think it's illegal, at least across your home network. Think about what Media Extender does on Xbox 360. You plug your cable into your PC and then you watch it on a different screen via your Xbox 360 over the network. Now instead, it's plug it in your Xbox One which is basically just a computer designed to sit under your TV instead of under your monitor (basically a TV) and watch it on another screen over your network.

• Major Murking commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to do this. I have an old Slingbox but don't have enough AV connections to hook it up. It'd be wonderful to be able to just move about the house with SG and stream video.

• behem0th x commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This one isn't going to happen.

The licensing of the content from your television is from your cable provider, rebroadcasting said signal is illegal and especially so for another company to do it and then have it be a free service.

If you have something like Comcast, they already have an app that lets you have access to all of the Xfinity services, tv shows and movies that you can stream.

← Previous 1

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base