Find ideas for hardware or accessory improvements or hardware ideas

Add HDMI-CEC Support to Xbox One

Please add HDMI-CEC ("control over HDMI") support for Xbox One to allow proper two-ways communications with TV and AVR (A/V Receiver).

The issue is that my Xbox One is not the only input on my AVR, and I still use my Xbox 360. This being the case makes using the Kinect to IR blast my components power On/Off completely useless. If I want to switch to my 360 and turn off my One, it would turn off my TV and AVR as well; vise versa if I'm done on the 360 and would like to switch back to the One turning on would send IR power blast that would turn off my already powered on components. You also don't have the ability to have the One automatically switch to the correct input. The only way to correct this issue is to add HDMI-CEC support.

4,407 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

St0ckton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

481 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • TekWhispR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It blows my mind that Microsoft has not added this feature after all this time... especially since the X is such a powerhouse in so many areas (Dolby Atmos Netflix, HDR, 4K gaming, UHD Blu-ray, etc.)

• PainfulHades631 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, I second the comment from the poster below. I have cheap devices that cost a fraction of an Xbox that support this feature and I was stunned that the XBOX One X still doesn't have this capability. What in the world was Microsoft thinking... guess they expect the XBOX One X to still be the center of the media universe with the single HDMI input. I already told my son that the next gaming console purchase is going to be a Play Station. Lack of HDMI-CEC support in 2018 is shameful. All I want to do is have the correct HDMI input selected on my TV when the XBOX One X is powered on.

• Axle Munshine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just got a Xbox One X and this is really weird. My Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Apple TV all do this. Even the firs Chromecast from 5 years ago can do this.
    Really disappointing for a machine released in 2017.

• ColdFusion26 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this still not a feature? IR Codes constantly don't work correctly and I'm sure your support team is bogged down by these requests. What a waste. Fix it.

• Riscon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

4 years and two consoles and still no CEC? I have an Xbox One X, this is a must have feature as have about 6 different HDMI devices and this is the only one that does not have CEC.

• WolfRathmA GR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you calling the Xbox system an entertainment one without the probable functionalities. Please add HDMI CEC.

• DrJohnZoidberg3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Phew, glad I discovered this before I went out and bought one. Guess I'll go buy a standalone 4k UHD player then.

• MrPohoda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like my Xbox to behave like this:
    - When Xbox One turns on, it asks TV to switch to its input
    - When Xbox One turns off, it returns TV to the state it was before (different input or turn off)

• SparklyBreak698 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

I want to turn on (and off) TV and AVR when I start XBox One S via it's controller. And ideally control volume via xbox controller as well.

Now I need to turn on XBox, then I need to find a remote for TV or AVR (both f which support HDMI-CEC) to turn them on and control volume.

--

Bottomline: It's super frustrating not to be able to fire up entire setup of TV+AVR+Xbox by just starting Xbox. Especially knowing this is exactly/in part what HDMI-CEC is for.

• DignifiedFlyer6 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this possible on xbox one does it not need a particular hdmi hardware component . Can Microsoft confirm if possible please ?

• glennpratt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Xbox One is the only thing in our house that requires a remote to switch to it's input.

Not great for family acceptance.

And I want nothing to do with IR blasters.

• waded commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only scenarios I'd like to see support here are:
    - When Xbox One turns on, it asks receiver to switch to its input
    - When Xbox One turns on, it asks the TV to turn on
    With the death of my Kinect hardware, the Xbox One is rather difficult to integrate into an automatic-switching setup without these.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base