Find ideas for hardware or accessory improvements or hardware ideas

Add HDMI-CEC Support to Xbox One

Please add HDMI-CEC ("control over HDMI") support for Xbox One to allow proper two-ways communications with TV and AVR (A/V Receiver).

The issue is that my Xbox One is not the only input on my AVR, and I still use my Xbox 360. This being the case makes using the Kinect to IR blast my components power On/Off completely useless. If I want to switch to my 360 and turn off my One, it would turn off my TV and AVR as well; vise versa if I'm done on the 360 and would like to switch back to the One turning on would send IR power blast that would turn off my already powered on components. You also don't have the ability to have the One automatically switch to the correct input. The only way to correct this issue is to add HDMI-CEC support.

4,125 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

St0ckton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

442 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Doug DeJulio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Look. There are cheap little adapters that you can use with computers to add CEC support by plugging them into a USB port. Microsoft, if you literally can't provide this any other way, add support for at least one such device.

If you must, go ahead and make your own that's platform-specific. Go ahead and charge $60 instead of, like, the $45 the Pulse-Eight device costs. Heck, make your own non-USB version that plugs into the IR blaster port, to make it even more confusing and otherwise-incompatible. Something.

You absolutely can do this, even if the Xbox's built-in hardware can't be made to do this, and even if you have to charge us for it. But do *something*. This lack is getting *painful*.

• synecdoche360 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my voice to this particular chorus. CEC support would make the Xbox one a much more 'pro' product.

• Kanuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I hit the Home button on the remote control for my $20 Roku, my TV turns on and switches inputs.

When I used to turn on my Xbox with Kinect, my TV would turn on and (IIRC) switch inputs.

Now that Kinect is dead, my $20 Roku can do things that my $600 Xbox cannot.

In the words of a stable genius: SAD!

• LCP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a feature you can find in ANY Audio/Video device today.

• huangda1982 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have an idea (or two).
    #Use a BPi.
    BPi has a HDMI with CEC support. Program BPi to detect X1 power on signal (by USB port power, maybe), then switch on the TV and ask for X1's address ( or HDMI port number or something), than send a input switch request with the X1's address, then power down itself. I have a BPi clone, but I dont know how to do this.
    #Use a CEC adapter
    I dont know it supports 4K or not. Make a X1 app to control the adapter to implement CEC functions for X1. The adapter will cost over $60 (or over $200 in where Im living).

• kreove commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be fixed, I cant fathom, how this feature isn't built in the Xbox one. For the last decade the entire world has agreed to use HDMI-CEC to communicate between devices. For Microsoft to stand alone and not use HDMI-CEC, but use it's own inferior ir blaster, is beyond comprehension.

Now i have this one device, which is unable to talk to the rest of my setup, which means that I have to do everything manuel.

Whom ever thought of this moronlicy stupid idea, should be fired, and never be allow to work in the tech industry again.

• TripleThreatGuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Experiencing this "magic" with my PS4 makes my Xbox One feel like a decade old. Please Microsoft, add HDMI-CEC. Please!

• OtherBanjo33153 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because of HDMI-CEC, all my components automatically turn on and in the right order (hit power on DVD player, amp turns on, subwoofer turns on, then TV turns on, etc).

XBOX ONE is the only component where this doesn't work. This is a very old standard. Why does Microsoft not adhere or recognize standards? Please MS, add this "feature" to the unit.

• differdf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know it's quite old issue, but I'm surprised there is no answer how to do this. I actually got this working on my Xbox One S. I just had to setup TV in Xbox settings. Mine was autodetected.

• Silicon Soldier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Placing my Nintendo Switch reminded me this is a thing. This is a well established standard, and would really improve the fit and finish of the console. Most modern TVs out there support the standard, so it'd improve things for a lot of people.

Nicest thing would probably be knowing which source the console is on, which the protocol can do.

• CrashNow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just bought the xbox one s. My TV (philips 7606k) does not detect the xbox. I even can't add the xbox to the home menu manualy because my soundbat uses HDMI arc and is connected to the same HDMI port of the tv. So for the tv the port is already used by another device. The only way to go is to change the input signal through the input list. But there I can't see which device is connected. If I select the wrong hmdi port, as example where my ps3 is connected, the ps3 powers on because it thinks i would like to use it. Thats so anoying and very uncomfortable. Please fix that ASAP. Also basic navigation with the tv remote is just awesome. It's also a Woman Acceptance Factor, she doesn't like to use the xbox controller just to watch Netflix or Amazon prime.

• huangda1982 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS just dosnt care. Or they just think youshould buy a PC monitor for the console. And, if the monitor has more than one input port, dont buy it.

• HireUreHitman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Microsoft, if Sony can do it since the PS3 then you ought to have it on this generation at the very least!

• HiggyOO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, please add HDMI-CEC. I just want to be able to hit the power button on my Xbox One and have it turn on my TV and audio receiver.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base