Find ideas for hardware or accessory improvements or hardware ideas

Repair Option for Xbox Elite Controller

Seriously, there should be a repair program in place for these controllers. Especially for the price. I not saying it should be free, but it definitely should not cost the full price of the controller.

Why? I am on my second xbox elite controller whose Left button (on top of the controller --NOT a magnetic piece) has physically broken due to normal play of Halo 5. There is no way to have the button

2,035 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SARS SNAFU shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

198 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • sgt scat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I agree, £150 for a controller and left high and dry when it fails through regular use. Rather disgusting. I cancelled my XBL because I wasn't happy with the service.

Again, I'd happily pay for the repair, but would rather have it done officially through Microsoft.

Such a great controller its sad that it isn't properly supported by the company that made it.

For me the rubber around the back of the hand-holds has started coming away, which is a concern if there is any accuracy to the 'leaked' pictures of the next iteration of the Elite Controller.

• lM the lLama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very upset with the customer support and warranty for this product. Even though one year is a log amount of time for a warranty, if you had this product since it first came out, there’s no help for you getting it repaired or replaced. Some love Microsoft shows to its loyal customers.

• PREFIX333 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously frustrated with the durability of this controller. I've had inner and outer grip rubber fail and peel off. My right bumper has broken, left on the d pad works 1 out if every 5-7 tries...left analog stitch travels and is loose vertically. It also loves to disconnect and reconnect while playing a game.
    I love the features and feel of this controller but everything keeps breaking. I've had every generation of xbox and multiple controllers. This is the only one I have ever had break...and it's supposed to be the best Xbox controller. There should be a recall or replacement program for this price tag.

• Max Disco 74 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really ticked off about the poor quality of this $150 accessory. I began using mine in January 2016, and within the first year the rubber grips on the left handle started unsealing. Not long after that, the grips on the right side started doing the same thing, and now the left bumper has broken. Internet searches show many people having the same problem including specifically the left bumper (Hmm?). I now have to buy broccoli at my local grocery store just because I need those thick rubber bands from it to keep my controller together. I contacted microsoft hoping they would send me a new one or prorate the charge for a repair, but they would not. This controller was $150 dollars!

• Jubabowling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’m on my 3rd. (And now that’s broken too.) I’ve never had another controller have to be replaced before in my life.

I thought the first one was a fluke. The second one I got a little concerned. On the 3rd, which I’ve only had a couple of months, I feel like I should be reimbursed, because it’s unnacceptable to charge MORE for a product that’s less reliable than the standard model.

And beyond that, the bumper breaking wasn’t even the only issue. Each one was starting to have problems with the right stick picking up movement towards the bottom left of its rotation. It was just a weird dead-zone that kept showing up with each controller after about a month.

I still like the controller oddly enough. But I shouldn’t have to replace it every few months out of my own pocket. I shouldn’t have to replace it each month out of Microsoft’s pocket either. They should fix the defect, THEN sell it. Not rush a shoddy design out there with no intention of ever fixing the problem.

• ooOCaptHowdyOoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*ELITE CONTROLLER REPAIR*

Contacted AbsentKestrel40 through this forum post at numnutz2009@gmail.com a little while back. In good faith, I packaged my controller up safely and shipped it USPS Priority Mail. Got my Elite controller back today and now my old drifting stick has zero stick drift!

The whole process of getting my controller fixed was perfect. The communication via email was excellent, that whole process was very fast, and the price was VERY fair.

I would, will, and do recommend anyone needing their controller fixed to have AbsentKestrel40 fix it, and if/ and most likely when, my other stick goes bad, I will be having him fix that one too.

Thank you very much for your service provided

• ExtraDiamond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I'm currently on my 4 Xbox Elite Controller and have had nothing but problems since day 1 when I bought the damn thing let me explain. When the Elite Controller went on sale in Canada I jumped at the first chance to get one on boxing day. I had saved up since my birthday in September to get one. Everything was smooth sailing for three months until I got the thumbstick drift luckily I got a warranty on it so I brought it back and got a new one. About a year later the same thing happened but my warranty was up so I had to buy a whole new controller. 3 months after that I was playing Black ops 3 and I was wondering why my shoulder button wasn't working, turns out it broke and I didn't get a warranty with this controller luckily my dad felt bad and got me a new one. Now I was playing UFC 2 and when I hit RB and the stupid thing broke again. I don't understand why MS doesn't have a repair program for these garbage controllers. The only reason I got the Xbox Elite Controller over a scuf Controller is that I wanted a product I could pick up in store and it wasn't a 3rd party product. MS is a billion dollar company that makes these poorly made products and then sells them for hundreds of dollars I'm sick of wasting my hard earned money on these crap things. MS fix this problem at least make a repair service that allows us to pay to get our controllers fixed for a reasonable cost not replaced at full price. That or put spring triggers in your $203.38 controllers because I'm not going to spend money on something that isn't going to last in the long run.

• AbsentKestrel40 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey everyone...me again lol.

Drifting analog sticks are a common issue. Same goes for the bumper design. The bumper issue is a design flaw and falls on ms to correct that with a revised design later on but the analog stick isnt caused by poor controller design. These analog sticks r produced by another company and are used in just about ne thing with an analog stick. The biggest cause of drifting is running in games or crouching. Pressing the l3 or r3 buttons put alot of stress on the plastic clip that centers the stick and holds one side down. Once that breaks or shifts even slightly u will have drift. People that asked me to repair their controllers often suffer from that issue. The best way to limit wear on the stick is to map the r3 and l3 to the back paddles and use the paddles to run and crouch in games and the analog sticks to move forward and look around. That is literally all u can do. They cant be repaired once they drift. The only option is to replace them.

In ne case if u guys need help or info on how to get ur controller fixed feel free to email me at numnutz2009@gmail.com or message me on my gamertag d2b2009. If u scroll through the comment pages u will see i have been offering help for a long time now so i can point u where u need to go and give advice on the cause and solution to ur issue.

• Dezzer24 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I brought myself an elite pad and my right thumb stick has just developed drift, so i get in contact with MS support and they say due to it being out of warranty i either have to pay for the repair or continue with it... this pad just cost me £120 and i dont feel i should be paying for the repair at all... I also brought my son an elite pad and within 2weeks of use his X button just stopped working again getting on to MS support as this is still in warranty they have committed to a repair with some ear bashing... this is a poor response to what they claim is the superior gaming controller on the market. MS needs to do something about this.

• LOCKED DOWN 541 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the paddles on the back of my controller hardly works. I have to press hasrd for it to work but even then it hardly works

• Spunkronaut commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also on my second Elite Controller. 1st one, rubber grip started to come off before the left bumper stopped working. 2nd, the right bumper started feeling mushy with inconsistent activation, now it barely functions. So after purchasing 2 of these $200 "Elite" controllers, I'm now back to using the standard that came with my 1X. Ridiculous.

• Emrae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree, on average I play halo 1 hour a day and I have gone through 3 elite controllers through best buys reimburstment program. The following are the failure components and their location.

The right stick click as failed twice, the right internal analog stick ratchet mechanism has cracked. Both left and right button failed at the outboard tabs that slide inside the grove in the housing. Right hand upper paddle button, the button still activates but does not have feel-able depression/detent. There is a specific market out there for users who are slightly more aggressive on their equipment who are will to pay for the durability, such as myself. My first elite controller lasted the longest and they have only gotten worse since. So I am assuming cost cutting methods have been implemented. I would recommend all moving components be made from aluminum, magnesium, fiberglass reinforced plastic.

• D 4213 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see a class action lawsuit against Microsoft. These controllers are known to have issues and be made of glass. If you look at them funny buttons cease to function. Nothing has been done to address these issues. Microsoft is more than happy to keep robbing people of their money by promising a superior product and delivering a scam.

• AbsentKestrel40 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey guys and gals

G4Z is correct...in some countries the warranty laws are much different. Im located in the us so me and everyone else only has 90 days worth of coverage on all things like controllers headsets batteries and so on. It sucks but 90 is better than 30 days thats for sure but issues usually happen after the 6-8 month mark so that 1 year warranty the eu gets would be a huge help to us americans. Oh well.

Anyway like my many posts over the past couple of years...if u guys need ne help with options repair wise i can point u in the right direction. Feel free to email me at numnutz2009@gmail.com or message me on xbox live using my gamertag D2B2009. I havent been on xbl the past few days because of work so emails get faster replies but xbl messages are fine with me too but it might take longer to get a reply sometimes.

• G4Z igi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well I got mine repaired for free because I live in the UK and having a 90 day warranty is against the law here (and in the rest of the EU).

That being said, why hasn't this design flaw in the bumpers been fixed yet, my elite controller was a revision 004 and only 5 months old and the bumper broke from normal use

There are hundreds of posts online about it and it's simply not a matter of if your controller will break, but when.

This needs to be fixed, if my replacement also breaks within 5 months I will also be returning that for repair.

Maybe MS can do themselves a favour and actually resolve this issue properly

Also not happy that it's taking a month to turn around the repair.

• CJLogix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my elite controller still working great, but i would love to get some new thumb sticks cause they are all worn out, and paddles cause I lost them.

• CSW652 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My 1st "Elite" controller (came with the elite console) the grips started peeling and falling off after about 8/9 months. Had to call support twice, but had the controller replaced under the console's warranty. About 8 months after getting the 2nd one, the grips started peeling again, but kept playing with it. The inner grips (under the bottom paddles) started peeling and then the right bumper stopped working. Left a 1 star review on the store page, was told to contact support and was ultimately told they wouldn't replace it again - go buy a new one. Why would I buy another clearly defective product especially at that price?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base