Find ideas for hardware or accessory improvements or hardware ideas

Make the Xbox One Elite Controller paddles unique buttons

The controller, for me, is perfect in every way with one exception. The rear paddles aren't their own buttons and are only able to duplicate other buttons on the controller. I get that the main purpose is so you don't have to take your thumb off the right stick to press buttons, but what a missed opportunity.

I can't understand how they can add four new buttons but not give them their own identity. I know Xbox games aren't designed with these paddles in mind, but I'm using it for pc games. I don't need any face buttons duplicated. I need four more buttons all together. I'm sure there's some Xbox games that would benefit from this as well. It can't be too hard to add four additional mappings that don't necessarily have to be used.

I love the controller overall, but this is a huge oversight in my opinion. I can only hope they update the software someday. Please, Microsoft!

[Mod edit: This idea was merged with a similar post from Reynbow. Thanks, everyone!]

1,936 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thogapotomus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

244 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • KeanVOY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree completely. It would be nice in a game that multiple buttons are required to open different menu's (for instance in Elite Dangerous). Was actually the reason I forked over the 189.99 for this controller, only to get it home, play around until I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Then googled it and stumbled across this particular post......darn....guess I should have read the fine print or done some research first (as I purchased it online). The idea stated in this post is spot on. For $100 more give us four new button options, just call it 25 bucks per button. Not 25 bucks per re-mapped button.

• xPaRRoTx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also want to map one of the buttons for taking screenshots. If I map the X button to one of the paddles I can use the X button to do something different (like taking screenshots).

• Armand28 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After spending that much on a controller I couldn't believe the only thing you can do with the four new paddles was to map them to existing buttons! Instead of mapping a paddle to 'jump' you have to map the paddle to X and then map X to 'jump'... that's silly and pointless.

I get that we'd need native support from the game to allow direct action mapping, but can't that just be part of the SDK and let developers support it or not? I spent all that money on a controller only to remove the paddles and I haven't used them since the day I bought it.

As for macros, this should be a no-brainer and completely within the control of the app. Allow 1 paddle trigger 2 or more button/bumper presses. I cannot believe this isn't possible.

• the Game HHH7 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I play Shorters but often wenn i press firre buton i press the r-stick button buy mistake(Reflex) so is melee instead of shoting. ...
    If you could map r-stick button to paddel 1 and then disable the orginal r-stick button ...that was geat for me no more melee for mistake...

Snd a option to programm to. Map a+x+L STICK UP. Would be great

• AzyGETDowN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got my elite yesterday thinking i would be able to use extra buttons not replacement of the orginal 4 buttons. Usless.

• cameronmixon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It appears the reason this feature is not available is the Xbox one controller support is likely a work over from the Xbox 360 controller for windows driver. (hence why they are both named Xinput in many games) To get true additional button support we would a driver with button mappings for P1-4 . Now with that settled Microsoft pc hardware designer gods please grant our wish, it can't be that difficult since you already have otherwise working source code.

• Player834130263 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bought the Elite specifically for the 4 additional buttons(the paddles). Now it turns it doesn't have that! I feel so cheated. Please make an update to have those new 4 buttons available! It would be great if you could also map a button to a combination of buttons.

• AlphaPeach4889 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a free program called reWASD that looks just like the Xbox accessories app (Same interface and Community Builds) but lets you assign each button as both a unique keyboard button and/or controller buttons including the paddles.

• GrimmPerfect commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Siriously, we need two-button-macros. For say X+cross-up. This, two Buttons toghether, is essential needed all the time in Elite Dangerous.

• The Gatherer 13 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think making the paddles macro-able is an absolute must and not to do so is a disappointing missed opportunity! I'm especially thinking about games like Ark: Survival Evolved where the lack of buttons on a controller makes some tasks pretty clunky.

Please do this!!!

• HolyNephilim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do this.

If you guys are avoiding a possible unfair advantage then at least let them be macro-able. I'd suggest using a record function that includes real time delays from user input. i.e. that it records real time input and the macro plays that back exactly.

• Monkata commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an excellent option for the sort of person who spends $150 on a single controller.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base