Find ideas for hardware or accessory improvements or hardware ideas

Make the Xbox One Elite Controller paddles unique buttons

The controller, for me, is perfect in every way with one exception. The rear paddles aren't their own buttons and are only able to duplicate other buttons on the controller. I get that the main purpose is so you don't have to take your thumb off the right stick to press buttons, but what a missed opportunity.

I can't understand how they can add four new buttons but not give them their own identity. I know Xbox games aren't designed with these paddles in mind, but I'm using it for pc games. I don't need any face buttons duplicated. I need four more buttons all together. I'm sure there's some Xbox games that would benefit from this as well. It can't be too hard to add four additional mappings that don't necessarily have to be used.

I love the controller overall, but this is a huge oversight in my opinion. I can only hope they update the software someday. Please, Microsoft!

[Mod edit: This idea was merged with a similar post from Reynbow. Thanks, everyone!]

2,060 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thogapotomus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

255 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • SwishierEagle91 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

reWASD works and all but customizable paddles at the expense of macros and turbo is an awfully high cost. Can't we just have a single native solution that just works? This is tiresome.

• CatchTheNext1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the cross-platform games coming out this is a necessity!!! Give us this!!! Please!!!! I am only able to use to quick keys in Sea of Thieves!!!

• Kyle95xx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be so easy to implement and would allow for xbox to overtake ps4. With the current user base of Fortnite the ability to build on consoles is much harder than PC just due to the fact you have to scroll through each building piece. Working with Fortnite to allow for a building piece to be remapped like on pc would certainly boost the user base. I don't see why this hasn't been done?

• BlueSilverLion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is old tech, I can't believe it wasn't already an option. For how expensive this controller still is, it should be done. Very disappointing

• AbnormalAviator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am so upset. I bought this expensive controller for this exact purpose and now I'm just out cash wasted on stupid, pointless buttons.

• I Bless U commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don’t think that would be possible but that would be great for the next gen console.

• street2234 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

thats exactly my first though when i got my xbox elite controller,i hope they do this if not the paddles will be a wasted feature

• mash199 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I purchased this controller with the expectation that the four tab buttons (p1-p4) were additional bindable buttons that I could use for easier navigation on Xbox one's version of the game Elite: Dangerous. Upon opening and connecting it to my console, I was extremely displeased to find that the paddles serve no purposes other than to duplicate existing buttons on the controller, effectively making little more that a convenient button relocation. I am overwhelmingly dissatisfied, and I will be returning the controller tomorrow. This is absolutely ridiculous, and nowhere near reflects the $100 price increase from the base controller.

• NZFoxnet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really want this for elite dangerous (In all of its 4k xbox one x glory).

• KeanVOY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree completely. It would be nice in a game that multiple buttons are required to open different menu's (for instance in Elite Dangerous). Was actually the reason I forked over the 189.99 for this controller, only to get it home, play around until I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Then googled it and stumbled across this particular post......darn....guess I should have read the fine print or done some research first (as I purchased it online). The idea stated in this post is spot on. For $100 more give us four new button options, just call it 25 bucks per button. Not 25 bucks per re-mapped button.

• xPaRRoTx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also want to map one of the buttons for taking screenshots. If I map the X button to one of the paddles I can use the X button to do something different (like taking screenshots).

• Armand28 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After spending that much on a controller I couldn't believe the only thing you can do with the four new paddles was to map them to existing buttons! Instead of mapping a paddle to 'jump' you have to map the paddle to X and then map X to 'jump'... that's silly and pointless.

I get that we'd need native support from the game to allow direct action mapping, but can't that just be part of the SDK and let developers support it or not? I spent all that money on a controller only to remove the paddles and I haven't used them since the day I bought it.

As for macros, this should be a no-brainer and completely within the control of the app. Allow 1 paddle trigger 2 or more button/bumper presses. I cannot believe this isn't possible.

• the Game HHH7 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I play Shorters but often wenn i press firre buton i press the r-stick button buy mistake(Reflex) so is melee instead of shoting. ...
    If you could map r-stick button to paddel 1 and then disable the orginal r-stick button ...that was geat for me no more melee for mistake...

Snd a option to programm to. Map a+x+L STICK UP. Would be great

• AzyGETDowN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got my elite yesterday thinking i would be able to use extra buttons not replacement of the orginal 4 buttons. Usless.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base