Find ideas for hardware or accessory improvements or hardware ideas

Bring back IR sensor for the Xbox One controller

With the new controller available last summer (2015), we lost infrared sensor. This IR window come with some great feature especially when you have a Kinect sensor like (I quote Xbox Wire's story: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/xbox-one-controller-feature):

Seamless Connectivity – Each controller uses a combination of invisible reflective technology and LEDs to send a patterned infrared signal to your console and Kinect sensor. Not only does this make pairing the devices seamless, but it enables Kinect to associate the controller with whoever is holding it. This introduces innovative experiences, such as player switching, where a split screen display can swap positions on the TV if users change seats on the couch.

Low Power State – If you’re watching a movie or need to step away from the TV, the controller enters a low power state that conserves your battery. The moment you pick it up again, it will be ready for use without having to resynch with the console.

Even the "expensive" Xbox Elite Wireless Controller no longer offer this feature. Worst, with a recent firmware update that disabled the IR for original controller! Xbox One Team do that without an explanation...

Optional features are still features, and should be supported. Better IR sensor for Xbox Elite or Standard Wireless Controller need to be available.

1,487 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Lok56 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • FRAGSLAYER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea this seriously *** me off you basically said f*** you to every single one of us who supported and still do support the Kinect. Not to mention all the other features stated here these guys can sugar coat it all they want I'm not happy. Now I have to purchase a adapter for my One X cause you no longer offer it for free like you did with the S. It's not our fault those of us with a brain didn't need everything explained to us to appreciate the tech you provided yet we are the ones being punished...

• Murphs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am really missing the low power mode here. I am chewing threw batteries. I know, I know, I should get a play/charge or rechargeable batteries, but this wasn't even an issue until the randomly removed this feature. Just bring it back ;)

• Run3Sph1nx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't know that they were removing features?! I just thought it wasn't working as well. So that is really bad on your part making your console look like you can't build quality. Geese guys, come on! I expected better out of you! Don't be taking amazing things like that away from us. I realize that not everyone wanted the Kinect, but do NOT punish those who did!! What is this? You know what. To be honest. If you are going to start removing fully working functionality from something that I purchased, I am going to have to start asking for a refund! I want compensation!

• SlionTag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just can't believe they are actually removing functionality like this. Elite controller does not have that! What a pity.

• Miku93 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After reading a few other comments I now understand why my controller stopped working correctly. For the longest time my controller would just disconnect for no reason and now my controller will not connect at all. I cant use my system for the time being. They need to fix the IR sensor so it can connect through the kinect.

• GIT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was going to buy an old IR controller so I could use this functionality again until I read this article. I can't believe Microsoft disabled IR completely in an update. They unsupported a fully working feature that gave the controllers another USP.
    Why are Microsoft removing Kinect features not adding them?
    Gestures were removed and Kinect game studios all getting shut down too..

• alexandreganso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After this update, my controller no longer stays connected to the xbox. They *** up badly on this one.

• LeoKurtz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used to love this feature, in concept...

In practice, it made playing games with more than one person a living hell. Looking back, I´m glad it´s gone.

• azguz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had no idea this was even gone from the new controllers? I cycle paddles every few months, kept my day one jawn fresh, used and sold other paddles and now i have an elite and 3.5 MC edition and black one (1 TB 2nd console i bought)

I was wondering why my kinect wasn't picking me up when i grabbed the paddle or even my wife/kids. More so, i didn't even know they disabled the function on compatible controllers! Where/is there and official announcement?

• Shadow XBL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, this sucks. I noticed that with my Lunar White the IRs weren't flashing when I was trying to pair it. This was such a cool selling point with the Kinect. Apparently since they abandoned Kinect they don't care to install them anymore.

• UnlockingBus56 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just don’t understand how they can take away a feature that they advertise. If you advertise that an item can do something, but in fact that item no longer does it or it actually does not do it. It is called false advertising and illegal. If it was not that good of an option they have to make an on/off option for it. Not take it out. The same can be said for how they took gesture navigation out of the system. That was a deciding facture for some people when they bought the system.

• Pico619 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just wish we could use our 360 controllers. It is a better controller, I wish they would allow us to use them even if I need to buy a accessory to make it happen. Or they can build one.

• AerialFiber875 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is supremely annoying with 3 controllers between 2 Xboxes. I used to just be able to turn on the controller and walk into the other room. Now I've got to swap association/undo my child protective fence and reach into the entertainment stand...

I'm nearly to the point of simply buying controllers for each room, but I feel I shouldn't have to do so. I already have "unused hardware" with the Kinect in each room you've abandoned.

• captianomega46 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

not best idea some 3D glasses use IR and some use bluetooth. note don't use any bluetooth feature of phone or tablet or mp3 player which has bluetooth do to fact it my cause issues with remote sync to system meaning one bluetooth signal my knockout other same if you are using remote with IR and other device which use IR like some active 3D glasses same happens with xbox one when if it's on remote bluetooth my conflict with glasses bluetooth or sound bar wireless bluetooth sub. or any other device you trying to transmite over bluetooth to another bluetooth device and so on. so you get my point it's loss loss situation.

• xdlugia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, does that mean that the "shake off zombies" feature in Dead Rising 3 no longer works?

• Ah Jremi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is sad to know, especially when I just get Xbox Onr console. Such intuitive experience shouldn't be cancel or drop off, I'd been looking forward to such unique personalized/free from normal fuss experience since Pre-Day of Xbox One Hype through Video. Sigh, I am sadly disappointed. Please consider bringing it back

← Previous 1

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base