Image: Xbox One Console, Controller, and Laptop
Xbox Feedback

Your Idea. Your Vote. Your Xbox.

Share your feature requests and ideas for improving Xbox products and services. The feature teams working on Xbox One, Xbox on Windows, Xbox mobile apps, and Xbox Live regularly review the ideas you submit, incorporating them into their work to make your Xbox experience even better.
We've added new features and apps to Xbox One! Learn what's new.
Vote for Ideas Announcements

Find ideas for hardware or accessory improvements or hardware ideas

Make the sync button on the controller take screenshots and record clips

1. Hold button to sync controller or connect it with a usb cable.
2. press once to take a screenshot.
3 double tap to record clip.

it would make it easier, for people that don't have kinect.

4,239 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

III OROZCO IIIIII OROZCO III shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
N0MERCY ONEN0MERCY ONE shared a merged idea: Make the sync button to take a screenshot on Controller.  ·   · 
TR Dying KnightTR Dying Knight shared a merged idea: SYNC BUTTON AS SHARE BUTTON  ·   · 
R4Z0R oR4Z0R o shared a merged idea: Change Screenshot button  ·   · 
Team Xbox Comment  ·  Team XboxAdminTeam Xbox (Admin, Xbox) responded  · 

We have no plans to change the default function of the sync button on the controller. You can take a screenshot by double tapping the Xbox Button and pressing Y. To record the last 30 seconds of what you did in a game, double tap the Xbox Button and press X. If you have the Xbox Chatpad you can now also program buttons to take a screenshot or record clips too.  – Mike Ybarra (gamertag: Qwik)

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
  • ShadowquellerShadowqueller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The bummer on this is that the double-tap is inconsistent, and totally takes you out of a game, especially something multiplayer.

• Commander TanoCommander Tano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunate there are no plans to adjust the screenshot/video taking on the controller. It is really cumbersome for those without a Kinect or chatpad. Since pressing the home button is quite hit or miss. Sometimes pressing it does nothing and other times if you hit it twice it goes home instead of opening the guide. -_-

• PaddyBoySwagPaddyBoySwag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While this is a great function compared to previous options, as an alternative would it be possible to allow one of the bumpers on the elite controller to have this functionality? If this is already available, great! I haven't had the pleasure of getting myself one, so I don't have a full understanding of the options.

• AdsShotta786AdsShotta786 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

true it too hard to record game clips either it goes to the home screen when tapping it so you get killed in game or the console freezes they should have put a button like you to for screenshots and hold for game clips simple and easy. it's needs to be quick and easy

• KillerOnTheRoodKillerOnTheRood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They need to remap the left button as a share button, exactly like the PS4 does in functionality.

Double tap it, and recording starts immediately where you want it to start, and then press it again and it'll stop recording exactly at that point. Then you can go thru the upload process.

Really hate having to constantly edit and trim videos because the recording doesn't start exactly where you want it to. And the whole process afterward, having to "finish" then upload, then wait and wait, then navigate to youtube app to upload, not natively inbuilt.

For instance, Madden. On PS4, can quickly start-stop recording and upload in seconds straight to youtube. But on Xbox One it takes forever. No start-stop process, no native upload to youtube inbuilt. Have to go thru the ordeal of trimming and saving and waiting minutes for the rendering, then exiting and opening other apps (DVR, Studio, Youtube).

• soupdawgiesoupdawgie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Xbox button's keystroke is, you know, too deep for making the double tap instantly (not to mention you have to pull your thumb up to the button, switching the position of your hand), sometimes one of the presses aren't being registered and so I'm falling to the main screen instead of making the screenshot.

Clicking one button at a time definitely would be easier.

• Aloshotz09Aloshotz09 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with this is,
    There would have to be a delay for taking a screenshot if you were to press it once because pressing it twice will record. The delay will not make the screenshot instant.

• PEANUTx420PEANUTx420 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

double tap xbox button. press y for screen shot. press x for record. no need for all that extra stuff

• KimideusKimideus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xbox one is great console but kinect is ***. This would be great. Actually, you could have added own button for screenshot / records on the new xbox controller.

• AaronDC100AaronDC100 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Um ... if you double tap the xbox button, then you choose X to record that or Y to take a screenshot.

• SonneKaktus6830SonneKaktus6830 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes we really need this i dont know if its just me but sometimes when i double tap the home button instead of going into the menu for taking a screenshot or saving that clip i return back to the homescreen happens about 60% of the time my friend says its becouse i tap to slow but i really tap fast so i would appricate this feature and its really not that hard to make it possible

• GTnotincludedGTnotincluded commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I certainly like the idea of making screenshotting and recording easier, I feel there must be a bit more elegant way to do it than this.

• theRealDarkFacttheRealDarkFact commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trust for using all of the features console i think kinect is the way to go. Controller commands no matter how fast take too long

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Earn Rewards As An Xbox Ambassador!

As part of the Xbox Ambassadors Program you can earn Rewards by voting for and commenting on ideas found here on Xbox Feedback.

Ambassadors can also get involved with the Xbox community by accepting the ‘Season Four Launch’ Mission and completing one of every Ambassador Activity.

Our Ambassador community can let you earn more rewards while helping out your community in other spaces, such as the Official Xbox Forums and Ambassadors Support Chat, as well as brushing up on your Xbox knowledge in the Academy.

Simply sign up today or hop back in for another Season’s worth of Ambassadors fun to start earning your laurels!

Feedback and Knowledge Base