Find ideas related to your Subscriptions or Xbox programs and policies

Free Gamertag Change

The option to be able to change your gamertag for free. Maybe implement a rule that you can only change it a certain amount of times in a year.

[Mod edit: This idea was merged with a similar post from Stickytack46. Thanks, everyone!]

11,211 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

shadow299xp shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

519 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • RainbowPine4599 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please as I’m getting bullied becaus of a Xbox suggested gamer tag which it didn’t explain that it was my free gt change now it gave me the worst name and I’m getting bullied because Xbox won’t help me at all except Joyce from Microsoft support

• Darth Rainer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

11.2k votes and nothings changed .. With Steam you can change your tag anytime with a cool down period .. I cant even change my Tag because of a region issue and cant make a payment anyway even though my Microsoft account has all the details .. Xbox live makes Stream look really good in comparison

• street2234 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

people who buy some certain amount of gold should be able to change their gamertag for free

• JDM Sileighty98 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a free change available every 2-3 years sounds good to me.

Even if Microsoft doesn't do that, at least give us a price reduction!!!

• Knight Jest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is an idea, once your Account is 4 Years old, you should get a Free Name Change.

and the price should be 5$ for a name change

Expanded idea: If your account is 4 years old as of 01/01/2018, you get a free name change, but only if 4 years or older.
    if your account is 4 years as of 01/01/2019, free name change
    if your account is 4 years as of 01/01/2020, Free name change

and anyone who has gotten a free name change because they are 4 years or older, cant have another free name change from this event until their account is 8 years old.

so yes, a 7 year account would get a free name change, until the next year when they hit 8 years, they would get another

and yes, if your 5 years old account, you have to wait 3 years for your next free name change.

is it kinda bull? Maybe ^-^ but its Microsoft, and they have to make it work somehow, even if we generally dislike the idea, we should try to accept idea's and possibilities that have a slightest chance of working, even if its not what we want.
    because we cant always get what we want.
    we can only get what works in an overall state.

so we should all probably lower our expectations, and work together to develop a system that has the highest chance of working instead of asking for price reductions, or straight up free name changes.
    |
    and i am not saying my idea has the highest chance of working, and i am sure there are way better systems that could be implemented. but this is just one idea that i think is a good compromise and workable.

• JacobC120 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should at least be once or twice a year, I made my current gamertag like 5 or 6 years ago and i haven't liked it for the longest time, and $10 is ridiculous, if nothing at least lower the price

• oo0Beatz0oo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my gamertag is now a bit weird now that i see it.....I really want to change it but £8!!! i cant bring myself to pay such a demanding price for something like a name change..this is a very silly idea..maybe even bring the cost down or let you change it every 6 months...im really adamant that this should be allowed..even 4 years after shadow299xp shared this 4 years ago...please microsoft..im begging you

• exXboxuser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be allowed, PERIOD... as long as the name isn't already being used.

... For FREE*!!!

• nyzmonstuh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the "having to change it within one month" rule should be abolished. I made my xbox account just to have one when I was younger to play on my cousin's xbox. I never owned an xbox until this Christmas and when I go to change my gamertag for the first time, it did not go through. It had been ten years... TEN YEARS! How was I supposed to know I only had a month to change something that I might grow out of in the future. We can't tell the future! Having said that, I believe a "Once Every 5 Years" rule should be implemented when changing your gamertag. If not 5, maybe 7 or 10. Any would be reasonable, in my opinion. And not just 5,7, or 10 years from when the rule starts... anyone who made an account from the beginning should be able to change their gamertag. Bias, I know, but I speak for the people who've had their accounts for ages and wasn't able to change it. Just because they didn't think to change it within a month? C'mon son!

• SlickFoal741246 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just had my gamertag changed by Microsoft and now they expect me to pay if nothing gets done everyone move to ps4

• FlyTheBatWing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A little over 2.5 years since this suggestion was logged and the votes keep rolling in. I suppose paying to change a gamertag is still a viable revenue stream, so we won't get free changes anytime soon :(

• AgentC2003 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Paid username changes are a scam. There is no other company that forces a fee on people who want to change a 5 year old gamertag. I'd make a new account but I refuse to start over on the one game I play on what is already my least favourite console.

• MWSNI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously!!! Make it mandatory to log into xbox live to play Minecraft the game I already paid for then charge to change tag!!! Microsoft are thieves surely this is an illegal scam.

• abhishek0p commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People should be able to change their gamertag once every 1-2 years for free, people can outgrow them like me- I made mine when I was 9 and now I’m 14 and it’s way to childish for me to play with

• AsH 1 oLe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Charging money to change your gamertag is a freaking scam by Microsoft. Greedy companies should go away... Stop force changing peoples gamertags, then giving them a Generated wussy name and let them manually change it themselves you freaking scammers Microsoft! NO NEED TO FORCE GAMERTAG CHANGE. Instead, a warning should be given with allowing the customer to change it themselves and NOT MICROSOFT generating An automated one is a better solution. My Gamertag was NOT OFFENSIVE!! Xbox Live needs to change this whack policy when these members are playing war games killing each other, but have the audacity to complain about my name being offensive and Microsoft will change the name without warning you... If you play violent games and have the nerve to say a Gamertag is offensive when it was not even close to being offensive then you are spiteful and deserve the worse karma to come your way!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 25 26

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base