Find ideas related to your Subscriptions or Xbox programs and policies

Don't Require Live Gold for Free-to-play Games With Online

All Free-to-play games should be playable without Xbox Live Gold account. This is against the sense of free-to-play.

394 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DamienFactor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • CriminalRacer18 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just bought my kid the Xbox S, her first gaming console...and she can't play Roblox with the Gold subscription. Something she's been playing for free for two years on a PC. I wish I'd read about the Gold pass requirement for even the free games before I made the decision to buy the xbox vs. the PS4...bad mistake.

I'll be adding this comment on Amazon so people see this before buying.

• Sasivarnan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am considering to buy a gaming console. After a long research, I choose Xbox One S over PS4.
    But buying a subscription to play free to play games makes me reconsider my decision.

• axekingKD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Certain people don't have enough money for gold because they already spent money on the xbox and games. So people have to miss out because they don't have enough money. So less people want to buy a xbox because they already know their gonna miss out.

• CraftierBOB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate it.
    -Sony, play any free game with out a subscription..
    -PC, you already pay for internet service so we wont't charge you a cent.
    -Microsoft, You pay for internet but we're still going to make you pay for something that is free.

• King Svenm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the whole idea bugs me its not like there paying for the servers or really anything in general why do we have to pay to play a free game like elder scrolls online each month makes no sense

• supernet2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apart of why I ditched investing in the Xbox one market any further beyond win10 play support. I'm not paying for subscriptions to play what's listed as free (not free if their are strings attached to get free). Apart of what pushed me to invest in a ps4 pro and upgrade my ps4 and give my gf my ps4 slim. I'll gladly drop 10k on ps4 and Nintendo switch products since they are giving free to play games availability on non gold or premium subscriptions like ps+ or Nintendo online. I upvote this and state my funding allotment for.the year being solely invested in Nintendo and sony because they give this feature. Still can't get over the fact in 360 you need a golden subscription to use your Hulu or Netflix subscription but in Xbox one you don't. You've literally made me turn my Xbox one into a dust collector. A literal dust collector

• SlowerChief262 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This actually made me mad af lol i was all hyped to play smite since it said free to play and then it says u require gold-_- almost sold my xbox for a PS right then and there

• RoshansubediR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like someone previously stated this is basically saying here is free food, you just have to pay for it. This is essentially what they are doing by not making F2P games actually free and enabling multiplayer. The addition of free multiplayer on F2P games, along with the new console(Xbox one X) would not only get new users and make them feel intrigued to the Xbox system but also would give old users such as myself and millions others to enjoy the console to the fullest without such limitations. If anyone actually took the time to read my comment and put my thoughts into consideration, Thank you!

• SolubleTurtle58 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only things that should cost anything are expansion packs and DLC packs. Having to pay to play is taking away the game and our choice to choose so we are forced to comply, they literally are hanging it above our heads till they get payed, then you get "privileges". We already payed,...everyone payed to have the game. Not having PART of it, the FULL game. If you have all the features on the case, all of it should come with it. Not to mention the system as well that is able to run the software. If they don't clue in now, this company won't last long. But unless I know something of why they do this, my opinion still stands.

• Pievagrybis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totaly agree, this is not fair to play free games and pay for them, microsoft should think about it and make free games to play really free

• CardzZilla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should happen.

As it is now, you are just giving people who are debating between getting an XB and PS one more reason to get a PS instead.

If you change it to the same thing PS does, then:
    - Removing a reason people may pick a PS over a XB
    - Revenue for addons for F2P games should go up since now the install base much higher

And one more huge reason is that doing so will work as advertising for other people to get XB live gold. Think about it, they see they like to play multiplayer now, so they decide to do so for more games.

• MetricMars4 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree.
    An example: Gwent: The Witcher Card Game (F2P) system requirements "slight" difference between PS and XBOX:

"XBOX Live Gold is required do play"
    "Playstation Plus" is not required do play"

• EPICELMO4EVER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. After I complete a new games or if I just don't feel like playing them, I should be able to go a play a game that says exactly what it say. If it says free-to-play it should be. That's like say you'll get a free soda if you pay $1 in advance.

← Previous 1 3

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base