Find ideas related to your Subscriptions or Xbox programs and policies

Gamertags! Allow them to expire like domains & give them back to active players

So many grab all the gamertags and there are millions that aren't in use anymore. Why not take those back and release them again. Allow us to pay for 1 year of 5 years of that gamertag. If a gamertag is offline for a certain amount of time, let it expire and give it to the gamers that are actually gaming. I can't get "Blueprint" and have to hear how I spelled it wrong. I'm sure many other users would love a great gt or have similiar wants? :)

6,274 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mida shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Apex Specter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you please get rid of any gamer tag with 0 gamer score that has a 360 profile pic still. There’s so many. Just filter them out maybe

• XxTomazingxX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't wait for this program to come back! There's so many unused gamertags it's not even funny!

• I7I1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It’s unfair that people can keep clean gt’s on silver accounts and never use them. People like me who have been with Xbox for years and would like to be able to use them should be able to use them.

• Zeak101 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Iv also been watching a inactive account for years now. Please recycle inactive accounts. Apparently it's supposed to be 5 years but the account I'm watching has been inactive since 2006.

• Imvirus16 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please release the gamertag that are currently inactive so that xbox gamers who are monitoring a specific gamertag such as myself can finally use them.

• King Shhcago commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gamertags with low scores should be released yearly if not every 3-6 months. There's No reason a gamertag with a score of 30 should be held for 5 years when it's clearly been abandoned.

• MightyDukk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please release gamertags this month! I would really appreciate releasing MadMazz, Knucklepuck and SnatchAdams. Please! Thank you for all you do

• Jbugboy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

but i dont want to pay for my gamer tag i want my gamertag to be free and stuff

• badc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xbox please do this again, except with inctive 360 accounts. I’m sure a lot of other people in the comment section agree with me. You did this before.. we know you can do it again. Please consider this idea as it did make a big profit for you last time

• stonedcoId commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stupid that we have to wait years for xbox to decide whether or not they want to release UNUSED gamer tags. I feel that if someone changes from it, it should automatically be open again for anyone to take.

• Etheopein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to happen again, there are still so many gamertags that are not active, just sitting there while there are many active players who would love to have those awesome gamertags. This gamertag recycle should happen every two or three years of an account being offline and without gold

• UrQuanPresident commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really not enough, Gamertag release should become an automatic process and not a once-in-two-decades release.

• Player019423960 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Microsoft. Back in 2010 I have bought my first Nokia Lumia device and created Microsoft account. After sometime I have created my gamertag and closed account. It is almost 8 years since I do used it, but gamertag is still locked. When are you planning to release 2nd bath of gamertags?

• exXboxuser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow Gamertags that have NOT Been Used in Over 2 years to be claimed by other Members ... FOR FREE!!! $10** just to Change your gamertag is RIDICULOUS !!!!!!!

• Pilort commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

all the old gamertags that have been inactive since the stone age need to be reset

← Previous 1 3 4 5 33 34

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base