Find ideas related to your Subscriptions or Xbox programs and policies

Family Game Sharing (Multiple Home Consoles on the same network)

Right now having multiple Xbox Ones in the house is not a good experience since every member in the house needs to buy their own games. If I buy a digital game I can play it on any Xbox One in the house but my family members can only play that game on the Home Xbox One.

Like Apple's family app sharing, members of your family members that are tied into your credit card with permission should be able to buy a game or app for your family's home game library.

As a fan of digital game downloads as apposed to discs, I want more usability from a digital download. Being able to share this game with all those in my household would negate the increased cost of a digital download. [Mod Removed link]

5,489 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

EnzoTenEnzoTen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

301 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ghost Section 9Ghost Section 9 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. Just went out and bought a Xbox One S for the daughter and she can't play with us. I understand stuff can be abused, but this is in the same house. Have to buy multiple gold and games just for the kids to be able to play with me. Xbox suddenly got very expensive.

• BlueHel1xBlueHel1x commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really want to get project scorpio but i currently have original xbox one and the xbox one s if the way multiple xboxes is handled on gold isnt changed i dont see me getting scoripio it would just add to the already annoying problem

• SgtMajor762SgtMajor762 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any traction on this? This is killing me with multiple consoles in the house. This drives people away from digital purchases...

• oFLASH G0RD0NooFLASH G0RD0No commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had 2 xbox ones with my home xbox set to the one in the kids room and my gamertags as the account holder so I could sign in on my xbox and we could play together. So my TV broke in the living room and we decided we would get a 4k tv and anot xbox one S so we could get some 4k content on it and have both the boys playing destiny with dad cos that would be just awesome. Every dad's dream unless of course they don't like destiny or their kids even. So I connect it all up. Sign in the three amigos. Download destiny dlc after purchasing a 3rd disc as I didn't get the digital version and it looks great so we all signed in on a console each and then everything broke. After speaking to a very apologetic and friendly Microsoft employee it turns out being signed in on a family member and playing on the same IP doesn't allow my 3rd console any access to Live or my games or dlc. Picture the disappointed looks on my boys sweet little faces please Microsoft. I would be happy with the old family subscription which cost £80 but allowed 4 people to share xbox gold and sign in on multiple consoles and share games on each. I'm going to have to dig very deep to allow all 3 of us to play Destiny or Forza or Fifa or any of the games we own together as a family. Please please please Microsoft show your commitment to family values and sort this out. I spend a lot on games and subscription like many others do and it would be awesome if you could fix this for your community. I understand there are people who would abuse this and there is a need for security but maybe look into having IP evidence of running on the same home network or even credit card matching for shared subscriptions. I'm sure there are some people clever enough to come up with some way of safeguarding the interests of Microsoft and the interests of the community to enable this feature to be enabled.
    Thanks

• FlangoFlango commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can already share every digital game and gold membership with one other console

• Arsis369Arsis369 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a pain! I bought an extra xbox one for my kid and like everyone here we're having to jump through hoops so i can let him play my purchased games. I was planning on buying a 3rd one for my youngest as hes starting to show interest as well but with how things are ran now there's no way in hell its going to happen. Don't you see you're punishing some of your biggest fans and supporters here Microsoft? WAKE UP

• Sinista1Sinista1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our Family XboxLive
    network consists of our in home family of six with 5 Xbox Ones and an outside family with 3 Xbox Ones and we have all of our Xbox Ones linked so we can game share... If we are all in the same family and prove as such it would be nice to store a digital download game on a Cloud Extrenal HDD that is password protected but allows access only to those listed in the family so you don't have to buy the disc for those outside the game share... It's nice to multiplayer with just family online on private matches...

• DeadlyMorrisDeadlyMorris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Didn't do my research, just bought a third console and was kinda disappointed I still can't play with both my kids, even though they are listed as my family

• F1Fan07F1Fan07 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Family Game Sharing should either be expanded to multiple XBox where the Primary Gold member in the household has saved their credentials or multiple XBox on the same IP address.

I've stopped buying physical discs and thereby give the full game price to MS rather than a cut to a retailer... it seems that MS could be making this slightly easier on us as a result.

• SpiffierStorm63SpiffierStorm63 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just learned that I have to purchase all my games one more time just to share with my son. What a disappointment especially after Apple's perfect family sharing with up to 6 (YES, SIX) family members with no restrictions on where device should be located etc. Ruined present.

• darkgrayweeddarkgrayweed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good point especially considering that alot of people will wait to buy a preowned game if they have to buy multiple copies then you don't get any profits from that sale even though they could ha e bought it digitally giving you all the profits if they were allowed to share it. And be real the days of one or two consoles for a family are over nowadays everyone has their own and it would be good business to realize that especially with people like me with over two hundred Xbox one games digitally downloaded. It would also help keep customers considering with the weak line up of exclusives this year compared to the PS4 about the strongest thing keeping many people with you is either not wanting to drop the cash on a new system or the awesome choice you guys made on how to implement backwards compatibility (which is really awesome you guys did it for us but if backwards compatibility becomes the main reason to stick with you it would be less expensive to break out the 360 and play all the cool exclusives PS4 has for when you want new gen)

• I LuV yr MuMI LuV yr MuM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oi, M.S, my twins 7th birthday is coming up and they both want XBONEs and being a gold member for nearly 13years, I was left gobsmacked and flabbergasted when I was made aware that I could not share some of my appropriate games with them.

My question is to you " WHAT YA GONNA DO ABOUT IT?" if you don't sort it out soon I'm going to have to buy them PS4's so I can play Horizon Zero Dawn, but I fear the PlayStation will turn them into SJW's.

Sort it out Microsoft and sort out the upcoming game library as it's looking like a massive number 2.

A concerned Father.

• MUDGATTORMUDGATTOR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No one remembers that this was XB1's original feature when the console was unveiled and everyone complained about how restrictive it was for all games to be only digital and then ms had to change everything because of the backlash.

• BipolarAngel21BipolarAngel21 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes i totally agree with this we have 3 xbox ones in our house 2 of which we just got for our boys. Dad has over 200 games he wants to share.. But can only do so with one child.. This ia not fair to the other one.. I dont see any reason to have to buy multiple copies of one game..
    Espically since they are almost never online the same time playing the same game..

• Bugg27Bugg27 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This user sharing can be done through Microsoft account with limit of one or 2 user names per household

• DatkanwelDatkanwel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have two Xbox ones. It's frustrating that I can't share games with my family save only on the home Xbox. I'm in the military and have a deployment schedule where I leave multiple times a year to places I don't have internet access. To play games without internet, I have to make the Xbox I take with me as my home Xbox. But that means that any games I own (I buy the digital downloads so my kids don't scratch the dvds every time they're trying to take them out of the case) cannot be played on the Xbox at home unless they sign me in. That would work all fine and dandy until I go somewhere I have internet and then sign them out to play. Long story short, sharing with my kids in my own home has become almost as big a logistical nightmare as going on deployment. I like the suggestion offered many times here that Apple has figured out a way to share games throughout the family (which we take full advantage of in our house), and suggest Microsoft stop making it so difficult to share within my family. Truth be told, if there was a way to family share like that, I'd buy another Xbox so we could all play against each other for some wholesome family fun.

• kiddgokiddgo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an owner multiple Xbox Ones I find it frustrating that we can only share family accounts on the home Xbox the purpose of having multiple Xbox Ones was so that we could all play games together

• Joet6683Joet6683 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this feature. It works that way with windows 10 - I buy a game from the windows store and it can be installed and played on both PCs in the house by any person. But of the four xbox ones in the house - others can only play the games on the home console.

• WalkerboyUKWalkerboyUK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with this idea. We have one gold account (my son) and that's shared across two profiles on the two consoles.
    Son has got another console for his birthday so that he's not shut away in his bedroom all the time.
    I'm just setting it up and it looks like I can't install any of the Games with Gold titles that we have had over the last couple of years, presumably because maximum is 2 consoles. This is absolutely ridiculous!!! Not going to buy another Gold account because that account won't get the back catalogue of GWG titles that we have on the other consoles. MS just need to introduce a family Gold account for 4/6 people on one IP address to share

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base