Find ideas related to your Subscriptions or Xbox programs and policies

Family Game Sharing (Multiple Home Consoles on the same network)

Right now having multiple Xbox Ones in the house is not a good experience since every member in the house needs to buy their own games. If I buy a digital game I can play it on any Xbox One in the house but my family members can only play that game on the Home Xbox One.

Like Apple's family app sharing, members of your family members that are tied into your credit card with permission should be able to buy a game or app for your family's home game library.

As a fan of digital game downloads as apposed to discs, I want more usability from a digital download. Being able to share this game with all those in my household would negate the increased cost of a digital download. [Mod Removed link]

7,274 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

EnzoTen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

447 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • OMOne2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would really like to see home sharing/home gold be extended to additional consoles on the home network. I'd like to get another box for a spare room, but it's really not worth it at this point since my kid won't be able to really use it. Why not tie the sharing to accounts instead of consoles or allow the local consoles to verify permissions with each other. Like local streaming/network transfers.

• CulpableVoice43 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got a second xbox one S for my kids, 3 kids, but now find that only one can be fully used. I don't actually mind if it's one at a time on live. but I want it to be either one changing back and forwards whenever I want. As others have said, both on same LAN so same external IP address only logged in with accounts from same family... I'm very surprised that after >7,000 votes and >400 comments this isn't going anywhere. Maybe I should have bought a PS4 as a second console. Is that the preference from the clever people at Xbox?

• SeigeReilley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see I'm not the only one. I just got a second XB1 and was trying to figure out how to share content across them. I see now it's futile. I would even pay for everyone to have their own gold membership if it meant we could all access the games and DLC I have been buying for years. at very least if they are on the same LAN. I get not being to share across the world, but i should be able to share in my onw physical home on the same network.

• TfR pepsighost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This can or something similar needs to happen. Remember when they first announced the Xbox one with family/friends sharing for your game library . You were going to be able to share with up to 10 family/friends but Microsoft threw there toys out off the pram due to the backlash over digital only and took this feature away . I think it’s time for them to revisit this

• JamisonWest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3 1/3 years after the original post, and still no reasonable response. Just a nightmare. I have 2 boys who like to play with each other and they really can't. I have a Gold subscription and only one of the consoles can be set to home. Not sure how to fix, just really too bad. I think Microsoft could sell so many more consoles if they allows multiple home consoles. You'd think it would be easy to ensure they are on the same network segment so it isn't abused.

• Z3r03ff3ct commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Man, I wish they allow more then 2 I've got Xbox X in my bedroom (Where i stream) and front room for my wife and another in the kitchen for my little 7 year old it's a pain because the wife has no access to any of our games we have bought together. and after changing it 4 times it's now locked ... really wish they would just look at the person's IP and say OH same network ... Oh Same last name ... must be the same person and allow it.

• RichDiller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice is this request did not fall upon deaf ears at Microsoft. Apparently it isn't enough to have families shell out hundreds of extra dollars to have a 2nd console in the house, only to find out that if you have 2 kids under your live membership, that only ONE of those would be able to share the content you have purchases. We have content that was purchased over the years, and until now it didn't really matter. My boys played split screen on one unit, with my account as the "main" account that owned the content. Now my child has socked away birthday and other gift money and has purchased his own xbox one x - no small feat for a child of 11. Well, now we find out that the only way for them to play together from separate consoles would be to shell out even more $$$$ for additional copies of the games we already purchased. What a way for MS to put the screws to families.

• III Weasel III commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sharing support for Microsoft to enhance sharing Gold across multiple Xbox One consoles. We have 3 Xbox Ones at home and want to play Minecraft or Fortnite or other mutiplayer games with each person using a separate Xbox One and not having to go split screen.

I understand there are plenty of scenarios where people might try to abuse sharing and spread one Gold account across a bunch of friends and different households, etc. but there should be better options Microsoft can add to support legitimate use cases like families with more than 2 Xbox consoles in a household. Seeing plenty of comments on this idea alone supporting the demand.

Plenty of smart people on the Xbox team that probably already have better ideas on how you'd accomplish this, but it could be similar to adding gamertags as family accounts under my Gold profile where you add consoles to my Gold profile as well so the benefits I pay for like multiplayer can be used on all the machines I've purchased (not just the 1 I declare as "home" and the 1 I'm logged into). Or you could simply extend the multiplayer feature to all family accounts connected to a Gold account, so for example my son can play multiplayer Fortnite on his room Xbox while my daughter and I play Minecraft together on our 2 downstairs Xbox consoles.

The only real option that exists now is paying for another full Gold account, which I don't want to have my son's account a full Gold account yet and lose some direct visibility and control to that account. I'd even be fine paying a little extra, similar to the Family Gold account some years back that was more expensive.

• PianoTripod2787 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have 2 xbox1 and 1 xbox x my 2 boys game share my daughter just got xbox 1 s for xmas and wants to play same games as boys but that would mean having to buy her the game to which i am reluctant as means more money spent which is not needed if xbox had the family game share option for parents with more than 2 kids which most families world wide are. Come on ms switch on to what families need in these times. Not only do u charge expensively on consoles but also controls games gold.

• Thorz74 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an awesome feature. It would simplify so much managing several XB1 consoles in a household.

• FluffyJeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am the same way. I just purchased a 3rd Xbox One for my household so me and my kids can play games at the same time. But no, you can only use the child accounts like described if you own 2 xboxes. Any more than that, you might as well sell them and buy Playstations.

Microsoft, can we please get more control over letting the child accounts have access to the games library of the parent account so we can play with our kids? Even if there is a monthly fee for this, there are tons of people wanting this!

• ArtanisSsS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just got 4 xbox's for my kids and myself in the house and we all want to game onlineat the same time in our house. I have to pay for 4 accounts to do this :(

Cmon Microsoft this should be easy for you guys. Maybe I should return the xbox's and get playstations instead.

• marquise112 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can't we just have one main(home) xbox and pay for every sub xbox. so as long as the sub Xbox is connected to the internet then any account on that xbox can play games. While only the main(home) xbox can play the games offline and share gold.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base