Find ideas related to your Subscriptions or Xbox programs and policies

Xbox Needs To Address The Reputation System. It Is Fundamentally Flawed And Is Used As An Exploit.

Reputation can be affected in a multitude of ways. If players block you, report you, etc. The issue is that players can block you for literally no reason, yet you are still affected. Also, they can send false reports as well as not needing any proof for their reports. Why would they do a thing like that? Well for a multitude of reasons. They can use blocking and reporting as exploits to never play with you again (this is especially the case if you are too far above or below their skill level). They can also tell their friends and contacts to block and report you together, to ensure your reputation drops. The more you play Xbox One, the more open your GamerTag becomes to false reporting and the more likely you will amass a number of people adding you to their block list or reporting you (simply due to playing more = running into more people = increased chances of people blocking/reporting you). If your reputation drops to "Avoid Me", you will lose your matchmaking abilities, severely. Reputation for the individual is a ticking only matter of time issue. Now the most outlandish part is that it's been going on since 2014 and actual employees of Xbox have personally had their reputations set to the red 'Avoid Me' status in the past (take for example AceyBongos, Xbox's Social Marketing Manager). You would think that once the actual employee's become affected that the issue would become more transparent and obvious to them, since you know they're the ones who actually work on the Xbox platform and make it what it currently is to begin with. NOPE. AceyBongos' reputation got instantly reset back to green (the perks of working at Xbox) and the rest of the average playerbase/common consumers who run into the issue, have no defense nor solution whatsoever. Unless you have a semi-big social media following and you speak out, Xbox Enforcement will most likely just ignore you.

The issue has been going on since at least Halo: The Master Chief Collection (November 2014). There are also numerous threads on the Halo and Gears of War forums, all of which get locked instantly. They tell you to contact Xbox Support and that's it. You then contact Xbox Support and they then refer you to Xbox Enforcement. Xbox Enforcement usually does nothing besides telling you what you can do to boost your reputation, after it is already too late and what you can do to avoid getting a low reputation. INSTEAD of addressing the root of the problem. Even if you do get your reputation back up, it can continue to occur to you. And thus the infinite loop of non-action continues, indefinitely.

Xbox is the only platform after purchasing monthly subscriptions, games, in-game purchases, movies, television shows, avatar clothing, etc., where you can severely lose your ability to matchmake in multiplayer for playing the game legitimately, due to false reports and being blocked by other players (which can be for literally no reason whatsoever).

You are essentially being bullied away by gamers exploiting the fundamentally flawed system, as Xbox does nothing. Neither PlayStation nor Steam have such an easily manipulated system to begin with.

───────────────────────────────
The Concept For a Fix Is Extremely Simple.

[BLOCKING]: Blocking players should NOT affect their reputation and instead should ONLY ignore the player that you're choosing to block from your personal Xbox Live experience entirely. Same goes for anything else, besides reporting (for example muting should ONLY mute).
+
[REPORTING]: Reporting players SHOULD REQUIRE video proof of the exact report you're submitting (and since every Xbox has the ability to record, there is no excuse). Reports without proof should be deemed INVALID since there is no proof. Reporting options should also be CONSOLIDATED to clear and definable reports, such as:

•"Cheating"
•"Communications (Messaging and Voice)"
•"Inappropriate GamerTag/Gamer Pic/Player Name/Bio"
•"Quitting Early" should become "Competitive Quitting" or removed.
• "Unsporting" should be removed entirely.

This would remove confusion or reports not easily defined, which are more open to interpretation and thus more likely to be used incorrectly. An example of a report that should be removed ENTIRELY is "Unsporting". "Quitting Early" is also sketchy. Take for example co-op or "social" multiplayer matches that are meant to be drop-in, drop-out. If someone quits during those, I find it highly distasteful to report them for doing so. Any situation could have been presented in that person's life for them to quit. Now I understand "competitive" multiplayer being different, but I believe "Quitting Early" should also be taken out as an option or should be in the very least changed to "Competitive Quitting". As long as the reports require video proof, there should be no more issues.
[NOTE]: The BLOCKING + REPORTING fixes would need to be combined, as it is the only fool-proof way of fixing it entirely. Fixing one but not the other would not be a complete solution and INADEQUATE.
[REPUTATION]: The reputation on GamerTags should EITHER be:
• Based solely on VERIFIED & PROVEN reports (the more proven/severity of reports, the lower the reputation status/score).

OR

• Removed from GamerTags and Xbox Live completely. As a reputation status/meter scoring system may provide more issues or make things appear to be more complicated than they actually are. As opposed to having to keep track of ONLY PROVEN reports.

371 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

NegaNihility shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • CleanlyRabbit55 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE READ!!!! Hello Guys,This is a Life Time transformation !!!Am so happy I got mine from Elizabeth. My blank ATM card can withdraw $3,300 daily. I got it from him last week and now I have $16,500 for free for just a week. The blank ATM CARD withdraws money from any ATM machines and there is no name on it, it is not traceable and now i have money for business and enough money for me and my family to live on. I am really happy i met Kelvin Roland because i met two people before him and they took my money not knowing that they were scams. But am happy now. Kelvin Roland sent the card through DHL and i got it
    in two days. Get your own card from him now he is not like other scammer pretending to have the ATM card, he is giving it out for free to help people even if it is illegal but it helps a lot and no one ever gets caught. i'm grateful to Kelvin Roland because he changed my story all of a sudden. The card works in all countries except Philippines and Mali. Kelvin Roland email address is kelvinroland.blankatm@outlook.com!

• Colaholic95 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll vote this up, the reporting system is a joke and needs to be looked into, especially if you do get more complaints and you get banned you're likely to get banned once your official ban is done. (or even worst which I've had, had it extended when it could be false reports) the fact that there isn't any sort of proof you can send with the report or see proof from the person who sent the report out is utterly stupid, and half the people that have posted this issue on this site you will get Microsoft "fan boys" crying about how It's just spam and such. this shouldn't even be how a community should act but you will get it, I'm just glad that not all of the xbox community are mindless drones otherwise I would of been done with xbox, but I'm not going to be bullied away from it because I'm a gamer and will still do what I love, which is play games and have fun with my friends. but I hope this goes through man, your idea is really good and soon as they add this too xbox the better! I'm sick of getting useless updates for something that is already broken.

• FLAWLESS CHA0S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got message from a guy I used to play with years ago out of the blue that I was never really friends with but we're acquaintances because the game had such a small community, I played with him from time to time so I had him on my friends list. He was asking if I still play the game and I told him I do and we talked a bit, nothing major, it was a normal conversation. The next day I went on my console and a random message from the guy just saying "f u". I was stunned, never ever got in any confrontation with the guy as I always try to avoid fights and don't trash talk in games cuz I hate trash talking. I asked him what the message was about and what his problem was and he ended snapping on me for no reason. So I got to the root of it, he was jealous that I was always better than him at the game so that's what flared his rant. I said "you are *** in the head or something" and that's when he told me to go kill myself so he can watch me squirm from heaven... I really wanted to report this to Xbox but didn't as I didn't want to get any backlash and get myself in trouble cuz I said one word "***" and was nothing in comparison to what he had said to me and he started the whole thing too....I still have the conversation on my console. From all the things I've heard about the enforcement of Xbox line and people getting in trouble for no reason I'm afraid to put my own account in any risk of bad standings as I've been avoided in the past due to being very good at a game before and strictly just that...I support the fixing off this faulty system!

• Outlaw23V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got a message from a player today saying that he/she had reported me. On word; "reported". Happened while playing World of Tanks. I wasn't on mic, didn't accidentally bump into them, nothing! Replied back with "for what?" but never got a response. I guess it was because I did better than him/her in the match. Just another perfect example of how this system is completely broken...........
    Based on what I've seen in other threads concerning this, there will be NO response from MS and this will simply be closed.

• Eccentric Me commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't agree more, I've now gotten voice com banned 3 times. 1st I was playing and someone told me to kill myself, I said k, and guess what, a ban. 2nd was from an angry enemy team in overwatch and now this was completely random

• VampireClaws36 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@KingJohnathan,

Tell me why would you send message about potatoes in the first place? Why not French fries that everybody loves? Makes no sense.

• KingJ0hnathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got reported for sending someone a message that said potatos and got communication banned for it for 2 weeks.... please tell me how this is a possability.

• Ese Nino Fao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I blame Overwatch on Xbox One for the increased rate of Red Rep across the gaming community. Before I started playing that specific game, I had no problems with rep. As a matter of fact, it never even crossed my mind to report someone for anything they did online during a multiplayer game. 3 months into Overwatch and my rep has gone down to Red Rep, now my whole multiplayer library is rendered worthless for the next 2-4 months? The system favors trolls and small communities of close gamers that can send out word to report someone with no proof, just to get them to Red Rep and place them in the gaming hell know as "Avoid Me". If this system is in place to create a "safe" environment for gamers, I am fine with it, just as long as they create a community for adults that want nothing to do with it. I don't want to watch my language or miss the opportunity to hear someone rage out. It's part of the experience of adult gaming in my opinion. Get your toxic levels up, it has its moments. But for Microsoft to take it upon themselves to dictate how you should act in this perfect community is idiotic, and then turn around and take your gaming away like a bitter parent who thinks you play to much games is beyond stupid. I invested too much money on this brand to have it ruined by trolls who take the time to abuse this rep system in order to make your gaming life miserable. The next gen system I buy, just might be a Playstation because of this Rep System.

• HyruleBalverine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see a lot of people saying that they've done nothing wrong and are getting low reps. Here's hoping that there's a way to avoid this.

• Bad4ssSoldier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xbox needs to improove the reputation system just a little bit. If you play fair and don't swear you won't be in any trouble...

• Akasha The VAMP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's flawed and used by hackers who can literally steal your identity on Xbox....my main account was banned and I lost hundreds of games

• Lt WOMBO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rep is a problem to me only because it lets people feel like theyre superman when they report someone that messaged them calling them out on their *** and disagreeing on a certain Win that they got due to unjustifiable means. (ahem) Buncha punks on xbox i swear

• EdragonXX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually it's a very hard to exploit that system. You should investigate how it works, then you would see it's not that easy to exploit it. There is so many things the system are looking before you will get flagged as bad player.

• Brightizzle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with this because someone pick a fight with me while I was commenting on my friend's clip. I pretty much said some harsh words to my friend because we joke around like that than I guess someone else decided to take my words to literal and tried talking smack to me. As the person I am I obviously defended my self by talking the same why back. Than a few days later I get a message from Xbox saying that I said something inappropriate or something. I didn't get any sort of punishment from Xbox from it it probably did something to my reputation tho. I talked with that friend two days later we laughed about it and I reported the guy that tried to get in a argument with me on the comments and than I get a message from Xbox saying thanks for making Xbox safer.

The point to this story is u can easily get someone banned or mess up their reputation easily and the reputation system is bad.

I also have a friend that really good at smite but the community on that game isn't the best. I'll just say he was communication banned like 3 times from that game.

← Previous 1

The Clubs & LFG Forum Is Live!

Our newest Feature Area forum, Clubs & LFG, is now live! We've added a bunch of ideas that you can now vote on both in the Feature Area forum and in the Clubs & LFG category of theNew Ideas forum!

Go to the new Clubs & LFG forum and vote for your favorite ideas!

Feedback and Knowledge Base